The Student Room Group

HSE (health and safety executive) Trainee Health and safety inspector

Hi,Does anybody have any experience of applying for a job at the HSE.I have completed the civil service verbal reasoning test and situational judgement test, with scores of 94% and 79 % respectively.Can anyone shed any light on the assessment centre? Any current HSE employees?Thanks

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by atmagu
Hi,Does anybody have any experience of applying for a job at the HSE.I have completed the civil service verbal reasoning test and situational judgement test, with scores of 94% and 79 % respectively.Can anyone shed any light on the assessment centre? Any current HSE employees?Thanks

I have also applied. I got 95 on verbal and 76 on judgement. I'm still waiting to hear back... They take so long!
Reply 2
Also applied. 96% on verbal and 69% on judgment. Assessment centres are supposed to take place w/c 7th Oct so I hope we hear back soon!
Reply 3
I received a link to book in for the assessment centre but now it's vanished when I log into my account. Anyone else going through this?
Reply 4
Original post by Jinks123
Also applied. 96% on verbal and 69% on judgment. Assessment centres are supposed to take place w/c 7th Oct so I hope we hear back soon!

Have you received an interview email?
Reply 5
Yeah I’ve had the interview email. Where about have you applied for it?
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 6
Bristol for me. :smile: I've booked for the 14th. as irony has it, I'm currently in Liverpool for an interview with Homes England on Monday, so I'll have to take a look at the assessment centre in Bootle tomorrow!
Reply 7
Original post by danm22
Bristol for me. :smile: I've booked for the 14th. as irony has it, I'm currently in Liverpool for an interview with Homes England on Monday, so I'll have to take a look at the assessment centre in Bootle tomorrow!

Assessment days are all in Liverpool regardless of where in the country you’ve applied for then? I’m pretty close to Liverpool so it isn’t too bad for me. But going to probably book in at a hotel the night before to make it a bit less daunting and explore the place beforehand so I’m not rushing haha
Reply 8
Original post by Gjh123
Assessment days are all in Liverpool regardless of where in the country you’ve applied for then? I’m pretty close to Liverpool so it isn’t too bad for me. But going to probably book in at a hotel the night before to make it a bit less daunting and explore the place beforehand so I’m not rushing haha

yup thats right. hotel is always a good idea! 8:30 until 4:00 what on earth are they going to make us do? has anyone heard anything relating to what we will do on the day?
Reply 9
I have been offered an interview. I have booked the 25th October. No idea what the assessment centre will entail, possibly role play or presentation? The advert did state:
The behaviours will be tested via four exercises and more detail will be provided when you receive your invitation to attend.

Hopefully we receive more info as I'd like to prepare myself!
Reply 10
Original post by danm22
yup thats right. hotel is always a good idea! 8:30 until 4:00 what on earth are they going to make us do? has anyone heard anything relating to what we will do on the day?

I’m not sure it states what they’re assessing us on in the job description but it doesn’t say how they’ll assess us. I’ve never been to an assessment centre before so I’m quite nervous! I’ve booked the 21st of October 😬
Reply 11
Original post by Gjh123
I’m not sure it states what they’re assessing us on in the job description but it doesn’t say how they’ll assess us. I’ve never been to an assessment centre before so I’m quite nervous! I’ve booked the 21st of October 😬

I've been to a couple. Don't be nervous they're never as bad as people would believe
Reply 12
Original post by danm22
I've been to a couple. Don't be nervous they're never as bad as people would believe

Aw I hope they’re not! I wish we were on the same day now 🤣
Hello.I also got an interview. Do not worry too much about the assessment day. It would be a bit overwhelming when you get the assessment day instructions. It's great you get it in advance but oh my! It looks crazy intense. But I cant see a group excercise to work as team as such. There is a written exercise, oral briefing one to one on a certian topic ,in tray exercise and finally complete a health and safety audit for a random business. It was a bit shocked when I first read it as it is really based on the job you actually apply to be a trainee for. Now I am better after I gathered info and can relate to previous experience. But when I read.. ''give advice to landowner about energy investment companies'' my heart dropped lol
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by daisydog2
Hello.I also got an interview. Do not worry too much about the assessment day. It would be a bit overwhelming when you get the assessment day instructions. It's great you get it in advance but oh my! It looks crazy intense. But I cant see a group excercise to work as team as such. There is a written exercise, oral briefing one to one on a certian topic ,in tray exercise and finally complete a health and safety audit for a random business. It was a bit shocked when I first read it as it is really based on the job you actually apply to be a trainee for. Now I am better after I gathered info and can relate to previous experience. But when I read.. ''give advice to landowner about energy investment companies'' my heart dropped lol

I think it’s best not too get too hung up on the topic, they will be looking at how you interpret the data and present it back to them.
Anyone else had an email uninviting them from the assessment day??? What a massive feck up!!
Reply 16
Original post by fiesta88
Anyone else had an email uninviting them from the assessment day??? What a massive feck up!!

oh my!!!! what did the email say? I haven't had that. that's awful!
Hey guys, my invite to the assessment centre has just been cancelled. This is a shambles, also one of my friends had the same happen to him. However, my friend who did not even answer the questions still has an assessment day invite, with a score of 12. How is this justified? Seems as if the HSE has not even bothered to read our motivational questions.
Same to me too :frown: quite disappointed, booked my hotel and travels already for next week. Incredibly stupid system

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending