Should GP receptionists access my medical records without substantial cause? Watch

Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I called up my surgery to make an appointment with a GP and was completely gobsmacked by how things went down. Firstly, she insisted she know the specific reason for my appointment, so I gave her a brief idea of it--which I was uncomfortable with doing--just to calm her down. She then gave a massive speech about how it's so important I give her all details and that I shouldn't be uncomfortable because she knows my medical history anyway. She then goes on to LIST information about my medical past to me and I was completely gobsmacked, not least because of my high expectation to maintain doctor-patient confidentiality at all costs unless there's a definite need for other staff to know such matters, and the need to know requirement was absolutely not fulfilled. I don't really understand why me trying to book an appointment warrants the receptionist access to my PRIVATE medical records. There was insufficient cause. Please someone explain this to me.
Anonymous #1
Bump
DrawTheLine
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Bump
No need to bump after an hour, thanks.
black tea
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
I called up my surgery to make an appointment with a GP and was completely gobsmacked by how things went down. Firstly, she insisted she know the specific reason for my appointment, so I gave her a brief idea of it--which I was uncomfortable with doing--just to calm her down. She then gave a massive speech about how it's so important I give her all details and that I shouldn't be uncomfortable because she knows my medical history anyway. She then goes on to LIST information about my medical past to me and I was completely gobsmacked, not least because of my high expectation to maintain doctor-patient confidentiality at all costs unless there's a definite need for other staff to know such matters, and the need to know requirement was absolutely not fulfilled. I don't really understand why me trying to book an appointment warrants the receptionist access to my PRIVATE medical records. There was insufficient cause. Please someone explain this to me.
I really think you are overreacting. The information is confidential and private - no-one outside the practice can see it. Receptionists need access to people's records so they can deal with admin tasks such as printing off repeat prescriptions, and the reason they ask you questions about why you need an appointment is to help the GPs.

Also, how id you think the receptionist would book your appointment if they didn't have access to the computer system that also holds your medical records?
Anonymous #1
(Original post by black tea)
I really think you are overreacting. The information is confidential and private - no-one outside the practice can see it. Receptionists need access to people's records so they can deal with admin tasks such as printing off repeat prescriptions, and the reason they ask you questions about why you need an appointment is to help the GPs.

Also, how id you think the receptionist would book your appointment if they didn't have access to the computer system that also holds your medical records?
But she isn't doing admin tasks or anything that requires access to my medical records. I'm only trying to book an appointment and I don't want receptionists to voluntarily read through and tell me my medical history at will. It's stuff that's VERY private to me that I don't want anyone reading unless there's sufficient cause, and there really wasn't one when booking my appointment.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by black tea)
Have enough self control to not read it at all unless you need to and have the decency and presence of mind not to discuss any information with me because I don't feel comfortable with someone not my doctor telling me all of this.
Jpw1097
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
It does seem quite inappropriate to list all of your past medical history.
Skeletonclique21
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
If you are concerned, I would bring this up with the GP at the appointment. I'm sure that must violate a million GMC rules... smh
bones-mccoy
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Definitely inappropriate. There's no reason, as a receptionist, why she would have any need to go looking through your medical records. I'd speak to your GP about it.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Skeletonclique21)
If you are concerned, I would bring this up with the GP at the appointment. I'm sure that must violate a million GMC rules... smh
(Original post by bones-mccoy)
Definitely inappropriate. There's no reason, as a receptionist, why she would have any need to go looking through your medical records. I'd speak to your GP about it.
I spoke to my GP about it and he said he will speak to her about. Didn't overtly comment on whether what she did was wrong which I'm really unhappy with, but it's something I guess. Next time i call for an appointment I'm gonna give them an earful. I complained about them (and their practice manager) to NHS England couple of months ago about some of their internal policies, and I think this is way worse but I don't have the energy or time to go through NHS England now. Outrageous receptionists/admin workers can access our medical simply by accessing the system to book an appointment (there should at least be an extra click to access medical history once you're in a patient's profile) and it really feels so violating when they list it back to us. I'm angry enough to go through NHS England again after writing all of this.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Would you turn to a teacher if you were being bullied?

Yes (54)
25.84%
No (155)
74.16%

Watched Threads