The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by GANFYD
It is above recent cut offs, is that decent?

Thanks 😂😂
Original post by GANFYD
Work out your school using their algorithm. You are aiming for 44 to 45 which has been successful in previous years

Can I check your information. Nottingham has changed their selection process for 2020 entry and are no longer scoring PS. Agreed, the last few years have had a cutoff of 44 or 45 according to FOI. However, with this removal of PS scoring, do you not think that the cutoff would increase as they have fewer criteria to go off for the same number of interviews?
Reply 22
Original post by Dr. Doc Thor
Can I check your information. Nottingham has changed their selection process for 2020 entry and are no longer scoring PS. Agreed, the last few years have had a cutoff of 44 or 45 according to FOI. However, with this removal of PS scoring, do you not think that the cutoff would increase as they have fewer criteria to go off for the same number of interviews?

Quite possibly, I have discussed that somewhere on one of the threads (why are there so many?). I also think that the removal of PS assessment will encourage more people to apply, as it was that subjective unknown that was possibly putting others off before, This is sort of backed up by the fact that PS was actually dropped for 2019 entry and application numbers went up, I think. It is sort of balanced out by the fact they had 80 extra places so will be interviewing more people over the last 2 years.
Is worth a FOI to ask for cut offs for 2019, I'd have thought?
Original post by GANFYD
Quite possibly, I have discussed that somewhere on one of the threads (why are there so many?). I also think that the removal of PS assessment will encourage more people to apply, as it was that subjective unknown that was possibly putting others off before, This is sort of backed up by the fact that PS was actually dropped for 2019 entry and application numbers went up, I think. It is sort of balanced out by the fact they had 80 extra places so will be interviewing more people over the last 2 years.
Is worth a FOI to ask for cut offs for 2019, I'd have thought?

This may be a silly question. But if anyone knows it would be helpful.
Suppose you land exactly on the cutoff score does that mean you have been cutoff or would you get an interview? So for example, hypothetically, the cutoff score is 45 and you were to get 45, would that be enough.
Reply 24
Original post by Dr. Doc Thor
This may be a silly question. But if anyone knows it would be helpful.
Suppose you land exactly on the cutoff score does that mean you have been cutoff or would you get an interview? So for example, hypothetically, the cutoff score is 45 and you were to get 45, would that be enough.

Yes, the score is the minimum needed for an interview
What was the cut off for 2019 entry and how is this likely to change for 2020 entry?
Reply 26
Original post by UrbanIncentive
What was the cut off for 2019 entry and how is this likely to change for 2020 entry?

I do not know this at the minute. Read last year’s Nottingham thread and it may give you some idea. The removal of PS (which was done fairly late in the cycle for 2019 entry) may mean that the cut off goes up, as a percentage of people were eliminated previously after PS score was added to the academic one and this stage is now no longer there. It may also encourage those with higher ucat scores to apply, given that they no longer have the subjective nature of PS assessment. As stated above, this may be somewhat mitigated by the fact that Nottingham had 80 extra places over the last two years so will be interviewing more people
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by GANFYD
I do not know this at the minute. Read last year’s Nottingham thread and it may give you some idea. The removal of PS (which was done fairly late in the cycle for 2019 entry) may mean that the cut off goes up, as a percentage of people were eliminated previously after PS score was added to the academic one and this stage is now no longer there. It may also encourage those with higher ucat schools to apply, given that they no longer have the subjective nature of PS assessment. As stated above, this may be somewhat mitigated by the fact that Nottingham had 80 extra places over the last two years so will be interviewing more people

Thank you for your help!
I got a 2870 on the UCAT, got 690 in three sections so missed out on loads of extra points and only got a band 3 on SJT, ive got a 44/56 for the scoring system, do you think I would realistically get an interview at Nottingham as I heard that last years cut off point was 44/45 and apparently the cut off is getting higher, due to them getting rid of PS scoring
Where did you find the information regarding the cut off for the past 5 years? I am finding it difficult to find any stats
Reply 30
Original post by haris_shabbz
I got a 2870 on the UCAT, got 690 in three sections so missed out on loads of extra points and only got a band 3 on SJT, ive got a 44/56 for the scoring system, do you think I would realistically get an interview at Nottingham as I heard that last years cut off point was 44/45 and apparently the cut off is getting higher, due to them getting rid of PS scoring

The cut off was 45 for 2018 entry. I think it would be risky for you
I've just completed my UCAT today and score a total of 45, 14 of which is for my GCSEs. I do hope this is enough to get in, and I will be applying.
Original post by pericardium
I've just completed my UCAT today and score a total of 45, 14 of which is for my GCSEs. I do hope this is enough to get in, and I will be applying.

Same, I'm a hopeful Nottingham applicant as well. I think 44-45 should be okay from what I've seen and heard. I liked Nottingham quite a bit compared to Birmingham and other places - so fingers crossed! Good luck!
(edited 4 years ago)
Quick question. If you meet the cut off (i.e. had a score of 44/45) for interview, is your UCAS application reviewed before being offered an interview - or is it automatic invite (like Manchester)? I've noticed this because sometimes applicants with scores well above the threshold are still rejected pre-interview.
Thanks
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 34
Original post by UrbanIncentive
Quick question. If you meet the cut off (i.e. had a score of 44/45) for interview, is your UCAS application reviewed before being offered an interview - or is it automatic invite (like Manchester)? I've noticed this because sometimes applicants with scores well above the threshold are still rejected pre-interview.
Thanks

The cut off may vary year on yer and was 45 for 2018 entry. If you are over the cut off, you should be offered an interview (bear in mind WA flags will have a lower cut off, so there may be some with apparently higher scores not being invited). Until the current cycle, Nottingham then went on to score PS and added the 2 scores together and it was this that decided the score for interview - high academic but low PS would not work, but a 45 score and good PS could overtake those initially above them. This is why the cut off score may go up this year as they further rejected many of those who made the initial academic cut off before interview and now this stage is missing
I'd like to know whether a WP flag may actually affect the cut off for initial selection. Does anyone know the answer to this?
Reply 36
I'd like to know whether a WP flag may actually affect the cut off for initial selection. Does anyone know the answer to this?

It almost certainly will do, but some places actually do things like increase GCSEs scores (Kings do this) by a multiplier for WP applicants, so actually the cut off is the same
Original post by GANFYD
It almost certainly will do, but some places actually do things like increase GCSEs scores (Kings do this) by a multiplier for WP applicants, so actually the cut off is the same

I attended the summer school and they seemed a little disoriented in terms of the WP flag. When I asked the lead had basically forgotten about WP flags. I will send an email and enquire and then follow up on this thread with my result! Thank you.
I attended the summer school and they seemed a little disoriented in terms of the WP flag. When I asked the lead had basically forgotten about WP flags. I will send an email and enquire and then follow up on this thread with my result! Thank you.

I phoned up admissions yesterday to enquire about this. Apparently the WP flag and the contextual offer only result in a lower A level grade of AAB.
I phoned up admissions yesterday to enquire about this. Apparently the WP flag and the contextual offer only result in a lower A level grade of AAB.

Yes, I think they only give you a lower offer if you put Nottingham as your firm choice, and you meet their POLAR criteria and I think some others. Not sure so just check the website.

Latest

Trending

Trending