The Student Room Group

Investment banking... which uni to go to... warwick or Manchester

I want to go into investment banking. And currently have the option of going manchester or Warwick for a bsc in management with accounting and finance(mcr) or management with finance (warwick). I can safely say I would prefer to stay in Manchester but I've read and heard that Warwick is more targeted for such careers. I am looking to do my masters after in Warwick but for my undergrad I would prefer to stay in manchester. So i would like to know which bsc to go for?? Like does going to Warwick certainly make THAT much of a difference?? Thanks in advance.

By the way I am from manchester so mcr means staying at home. I'd also like to add it would cost more going to Warwick obviously so I doubt I would do my masters straight after my bsc whereas in manchester I will 99% be able to go straight from my bsc to a masters somewhere as financially I will be better off
(edited 4 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Warwick hands down. Target university as far as I know
Hi thanks for the reply not to sound odd but have u been to either or are involved in the industry??? So if I did my bsc in mcr then masters in Warwick would it make that much of a difference???
Hi thanks for the reply not to sound odd but have u been to either or are involved in the industry??? So if I did my bsc in mcr then masters in Warwick would it make that much of a difference???
Original post by Sankalp.2000

I’ve not been involved personally but I have it on good authority from investment bankers here on TSR that Warwick is preferred over Manchester. I think it has to be undergraduate degree too, I don’t think a masters at Warwick would be the same but don’t quote me on that
Oh so even if it's a taught masters it's not the same effect. Or is it a case where I can end up in the same position it will just take me longer if I stay in manchester
Oh so even if it's a taught masters it's not the same effect. Or is it a case where I can end up in the same position it will just take me longer if I stay in manchester

I’m not really sure if I’m honest with you whether a masters at Warwick would be on the same level as an UG degree at Warwick; I’ll tag a dude who hopefully will have the answer you seek

@Princepieman
Cheers for that I'm just panicking a bit trying to make a decision
if you want to optimize for banking.. warwick. if you want to optimize for your own damn life.. manchester.

no one is going to make the decision for you but you
Original post by Princepieman
if you want to optimize for banking.. warwick. if you want to optimize for your own damn life.. manchester.

I get that but could I get to the same position by going to manchester university. And would doing a masters at Warwick have the same impact as doing a bsc there???

(Just want to check if this is correct) Warwick would be better for FO roles because it is a target and the FO roles are super competitive. Manchester would be a semi target? But not a very strong one right? So a student would have to really stand out to have a chance to be on par with good students from targets.

Would Manchester still be in the same bracket for MO roles such as risk? I am on the verge of swapping my Manchester engineering offer for a Warwick one because I know its a target, but haven't seen much info about the selection process for middle office roles. Would semi targets like Manchester have much more of a chance that's comparable to targets for middle office roles? Or would chances still be slim there and be better at a target? (I know back office roles can be easier to get into but Im specifically interested in MO). Hope you can provide some insight as I've seen your sort of the IB guru
What do u mean by FO roles and MO
What do u mean by FO roles and MO

FO as in front office and MO as in middle office, BO is back office. Front office is the money making part of the business where all the traders are. Its what you think of when you think of a job in IB. SUPER long hours from early in the morning to deep into the night with massive salaries and compensation. Frst few years your doing the dog work and earning lots for a graduate as you progress its still alot but you can offload some of your work and the salries increase by big amounts as you climb the ladder.

The middle and back office are the support and tech roles. Support as in admins or analytics, when I mentioned risk management they are part of the MO who have contact with the front and require good analytical skills. These MO roles tend to pay less than the front but compared to the average grad salary they pay a lot. I believe after a few good years after good work you can easily move past the 50k mark going to 60s and 70s (don't quote me on that lol). They tend to have more of work life balance and work more "normal" hours closer to a 9 to 5 (I think your more likely to leave at 6 or 7 but you don't work till midnight+ like the FO).
The MO is actually what I'm interested in which is still competitive but I believe not as competitive as the front office roles. However, that is why I asked @Princepieman as from what I've seen through lots of these IB forums he is quite knowledgeable on the topic.
(What i've written above is just from my knowledge of what I've gathered online, please correct me if im wrong lol)
Original post by john_iqbal786
FO as in front office and MO as in middle office, BO is back office. Front office is the money making part of the business where all the traders are. Its what you think of when you think of a job in IB. SUPER long hours from early in the morning to deep into the night with massive salaries and compensation. Frst few years your doing the dog work and earning lots for a graduate as you progress its still alot but you can offload some of your work and the salries increase by big amounts as you climb the ladder.

The middle and back office are the support and tech roles. Support as in admins or analytics, when I mentioned risk management they are part of the MO who have contact with the front and require good analytical skills. These MO roles tend to pay less than the front but compared to the average grad salary they pay a lot. I believe after a few good years after good work you can easily move past the 50k mark going to 60s and 70s (don't quote me on that lol). They tend to have more of work life balance and work more "normal" hours closer to a 9 to 5 (I think your more likely to leave at 6 or 7 but you don't work till midnight+ like the FO).
The MO is actually what I'm interested in which is still competitive but I believe not as competitive as the front office roles. However, that is why I asked @Princepieman as from what I've seen through lots of these IB forums he is quite knowledgeable on the topic.
(What i've written above is just from my knowledge of what I've gathered online, please correct me if im wrong lol)

Oh right that makes alot more sense now. So what would you recommend for me I prefer the life and staying in manchester but I'm worried that if I stay I'll massively sacrifice my education and career by not have a Warwick degree?? I know ur in a similar position and u seem quite knowledgeable...
Haha I am not knowledge enough which is why I'm also asking for advice. I am in the same boat as you. You said you were doing accounting and finance right? I know the economics maths and business side of Warwick are top in the UK not sure about your exact course though. Don't know how good Manchester is for the course either I'm afraid. To get into IB you don't need a specific course, just a numerical or analytical one is preferred. I do know if your looking to go into front office then Warwick would be the way. But that's only if u r 100% sure that's your goal or will be striving towards it. Your not guarenteed to get it even if you do go Warwick. It's still highly competitive, you just get your foot in the door. Manchester is much harder for front office IB and your cv and interview skills should be exceptional to go into FO (they should be anyway but even more so at Manchester because its not a target).

If your interested in MO then Idk. Wait with me for a response lol
I get that but could I get to the same position by going to manchester university. And would doing a masters at Warwick have the same impact as doing a bsc there???

it would be far easier because everyone and their mother comes to recruit at warwick and you have unparalleled access to all of the more senior year students + alumni who've made it onto (and past) the recruiting treadmill for insider tips... it's not as simple as "hurp a durp warwick iz better guyzz". you won't get that as much at Manc but Manc is not by itself going to "ruin" your chances or whatever.
(Just want to check if this is correct) Warwick would be better for FO roles because it is a target and the FO roles are super competitive. Manchester would be a semi target? But not a very strong one right? So a student would have to really stand out to have a chance to be on par with good students from targets.

Would Manchester still be in the same bracket for MO roles such as risk? I am on the verge of swapping my Manchester engineering offer for a Warwick one because I know its a target, but haven't seen much info about the selection process for middle office roles. Would semi targets like Manchester have much more of a chance that's comparable to targets for middle office roles? Or would chances still be slim there and be better at a target? (I know back office roles can be easier to get into but Im specifically interested in MO). Hope you can provide some insight as I've seen your sort of the IB guru

not sure why you're so obsessed with how competitive MO is my dude.. just go for the best university that you would also not ideally hate your life at. MO is nowhere near as competitive as any of the front office gigs - take a step back and chill.

a level results szn is a bit wild it seems.. 10 different messages alone and a bunch of tags in posts over a couple of days lol
it would be far easier because everyone and their mother comes to recruit at warwick and you have unparalleled access to all of the more senior year students + alumni who've made it onto (and past) the recruiting treadmill for insider tips... it's not as simple as "hurp a durp warwick iz better guyzz". you won't get that as much at Manc but Manc is not by itself going to "ruin" your chances or whatever.

not sure why you're so obsessed with how competitive MO is my dude.. just go for the best university that you would also not ideally hate your life at. MO is nowhere near as competitive as any of the front office gigs - take a step back and chill.

a level results szn is a bit wild it seems.. 10 different messages alone and a bunch of tags in posts over a couple of days lol

I am obsessed with how competitive MO is like how everyone is obsessed with how competitive FO is or IB in general, my interest is just in a different area and since I couldn't get any opinions or see anything about it I start posting around asking questions to try and find out? Now that I have more of a feeling on how competitive a manc applicant would be for it I can make my decision and still thank you for your response. I seen in an old thread you attended warwick yourself, is that right? I am just wondering now for overall job prospects (aside from IB and finance world) it is probably on the same footing as Manchester and would come down to the individual right.

If you don't mind, could you tell how was your experience at Warwick(on the assumption I made that you did attend), would you have rather gone somewhere else? Or was the campus at warwick fine to enjoy yourself. I ask this because I visited myself and think the campus is good but obviously haven't lived or studied there so can't judge properly.
Is Manchester really that much of a downgrade? I'm not too keen on leaving home right now but if the education in Warwick is going to benefit my life by that much it may be worth it??? I'm sort of considering social aspects nd manchester is my desired city it's just I've heard alot about Warwick. So if I did go mcr is there no way into investment banking or just a much lower possibility
Reply 18
Is Manchester really that much of a downgrade? I'm not too keen on leaving home right now but if the education in Warwick is going to benefit my life by that much it may be worth it??? I'm sort of considering social aspects nd manchester is my desired city it's just I've heard alot about Warwick. So if I did go mcr is there no way into investment banking or just a much lower possibility

Obviously you can get into investment banking from manchester, it's just that Warwick is a better university and so you'll find it easier to get into the field as banks know that.

Also, I live a few minutes away from Warwick Uni - if you want any questions about the uni answered hmu
I am obsessed with how competitive MO is like how everyone is obsessed with how competitive FO is or IB in general, my interest is just in a different area and since I couldn't get any opinions or see anything about it I start posting around asking questions to try and find out? Now that I have more of a feeling on how competitive a manc applicant would be for it I can make my decision and still thank you for your response. I seen in an old thread you attended warwick yourself, is that right? I am just wondering now for overall job prospects (aside from IB and finance world) it is probably on the same footing as Manchester and would come down to the individual right.

If you don't mind, could you tell how was your experience at Warwick(on the assumption I made that you did attend), would you have rather gone somewhere else? Or was the campus at warwick fine to enjoy yourself. I ask this because I visited myself and think the campus is good but obviously haven't lived or studied there so can't judge properly.

can't help you there bud, don't go to warwick

Quick Reply

Latest