The Student Room Group

Can I do Medicine at Newcastle Uni without Chemistry?

Hello, there are no specific a level subjects required for the medicine course at Newcastle. I currently do A levels in history, economics, politics and biology. Do I have a realistic chance of being accepted or will the uni only select those with both bio and chem a level, despite their requirements.
You would need Chem pretty sure because that’s basically what medicine is so like people who had it would probably be accepted over you but email the Newcastle admissions team and ask they will be able to tell you for sure :smile:
Original post by emilybond:)
You would need Chem pretty sure because that’s basically what medicine is so like people who had it would probably be accepted over you but email the Newcastle admissions team and ask they will be able to tell you for sure :smile:

ok will do
Original post by Random_User123
Hello, there are no specific a level subjects required for the medicine course at Newcastle. I currently do A levels in history, economics, politics and biology. Do I have a realistic chance of being accepted or will the uni only select those with both bio and chem a level, despite their requirements.

Your A levels are fine. If they preferred certain subjects they would have stated this. You don't need four A levels either.

Medicine is not "basically" chemistry - not even close :wink:
Original post by Democracy
Medicine is not "basically" chemistry - not even close :wink:

Most medicine courses require chemistry this is for the reason that biology and chemistry added to a practical element is what medicine is many universities even say chem grade is more important than bio, in this case it’s not what the website says but it is always good to check as medicine is super competative and so it’s reasonable to assume that it’s good to email and check that not having chem wouldn’t put u at a disadvantage- also it would be important to consider what other unis u could apply to other than Newcastle as you would need 3 others plus one non medicine back up and the three other unis would probably require chem, realistically medicine is hard to get into so even if ur an amazing student with the grades you can’t expect to get into ur 1st choice it’s a bit of a lottery really so it’s really something to think about not to just pass by and say yeah it’s all fine and go blindly forward because you would need to apply to more than one uni if you wanted a good chance of getting into medicine just facts really
Most medicine courses require chemistry this is for the reason that biology and chemistry added to a practical element is what medicine is many universities even say chem grade is more important than bio, in this case it’s not what the website says but it is always good to check as medicine is super competative and so it’s reasonable to assume that it’s good to email and check that not having chem wouldn’t put u at a disadvantage- also it would be important to consider what other unis u could apply to other than Newcastle as you would need 3 others plus one non medicine back up and the three other unis would probably require chem, realistically medicine is hard to get into so even if ur an amazing student with the grades you can’t expect to get into ur 1st choice it’s a bit of a lottery really so it’s really something to think about not to just pass by and say yeah it’s all fine and go blindly forward because you would need to apply to more than one uni if you wanted a good chance of getting into medicine just facts really

Re the bold: I mean, that's not actually the case. Medicine is medicine. It's not applied biology or applied chemistry or anything else.

Anyway, I agree with you that having chemistry widens one's options but OP has already started his/her A levels, so there's little use in debating hypotheticals.

I can only repeat my point that there aren't any hidden entry requirements and it's not a lottery - admission policies are freely available online and universities have nothing to gain by having a list of secretly advantageous criteria which they don't tell anyone about. OP can email Newcastle's admissions team, but I'm willing to bet they'll simply direct him to their website.
Reply 6
Original post by Random_User123

No, they lie on their website about their admission criteria and you actually need 14 A* A levels and to be able to perform Wingardium Leviosa and Expelliarmus (and actually do so if you get an interview - it's an MMI station) for them to consider you.
Med schools do not put one thing on their websites and in their admission policies and actually do another, this would be dishonest and fraudulent and these are not things medics are generally known for being.
They do not care what A levels you have as long as you have 3 As and no subject is rated above another (they are not rated at all, they select using UCAT)
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 7

You do not need Chemistry, it literally states this on their website. They are not going to select certain A levels over another as they do not use A levels to rank applicants, they use UCAT.
Medicine is not basically chemistry and anybody who is expecting this will be very disappointed.
Reply 8

Most medicine courses used to require chemistry as it was the one selection criteria that had been shown to have some (weak) correlation with performance at med school - ie it enabled them to chose the applicants who were more likely to succeed on their course. The UCAT has now been shown to be a better marker of achievement at med school and there are now 13 med schools who will accept you without chemistry, so hopefully OP can pick 4 out of those.
ok thanks
Original post by GANFYD
Most medicine courses used to require chemistry as it was the one selection criteria that had been shown to have some (weak) correlation with performance at med school - ie it enabled them to chose the applicants who were more likely to succeed on their course. The UCAT has now been shown to be a better marker of achievement at med school and there are now 13 med schools who will accept you without chemistry, so hopefully OP can pick 4 out of those.

Hi I wanted to know which med schools these are. I’m looking to apply to medicine with biology, psychology and eng lit, I’ve found about 3.
Original post by GANFYD
No, they lie on their website about their admission criteria and you actually need 14 A* A levels and to be able to perform Wingardium Leviosa and Expelliarmus (and actually do so if you get an interview - it's an MMI station) for them to consider you.
Med schools do not put one thing on their websites and in their admission policies and actually do another, this would be dishonest and fraudulent and these are not things medics are generally known for being.
They do not care what A levels you have as long as you have 3 As and no subject is rated above another (they are not rated at all, they select using UCAT)

lmao
Reply 12
Original post by Ri012345
Hi I wanted to know which med schools these are. I’m looking to apply to medicine with biology, psychology and eng lit, I’ve found about 3.

Post on the megathread and people will try to advise
Original post by GANFYD
Post on the megathread and people will try to advise

Which one?
Reply 14
Original post by Ri012345
Which one?

The “Which medical school should I apply to” megathread

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending