Spotted a grey hair at 18! Watch

Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I am only 18 and I spotted a grey hair! It sent me into a panic frenzy and I don't know what to do . I am hoping it happened due to stress and can be reversed or slowed down as Year 13 was very stressful, uni applications, exams and results day. Is it likely that played a factor? 18 seems too early for me to have spotted a grey hair. I am very certain this is the only grey hair on my head, is it normal for people to get grey hairs like this?
Anonymous #1
I am not sure if it is stress or genetics , neither of my parents started going grey at 18. Can I do anything about it?
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
If it's one hair then surely you could just cut it, nah?
Name:  IMG_20190730_113619.jpg
Views: 24
Size:  96.2 KB
Prussianxo
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I got my first at 17. Sometimes a spot one once every 6 months or so so it's not like you're gonna be fully grey in a year. Don't stress about it it'll probably make it worse.
kafei
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
I am only 18 and I spotted a grey hair! It sent me into a panic frenzy and I don't know what to do . I am hoping it happened due to stress and can be reversed or slowed down as Year 13 was very stressful, uni applications, exams and results day. Is it likely that played a factor? 18 seems too early for me to have spotted a grey hair. I am very certain this is the only grey hair on my head, is it normal for people to get grey hairs like this?
Hey , I've spotted some too. Although i cant say whether it is normal or not but i first spotted mine when I was about 14/15 in which i was very shocked at but it didnt really cause much problems for me so i just left it. I'm now 16 and still have like a few spotted when i check it but :”) just want you to know that you're not alone eventho the reason for this to happen could differ (my parents didn't start going grey as early as me too so im not sure what the real problem is) i hope it is just the stress for you tho
Ben878 (LfL)
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
You could ask when your parents noticed grey hairs - the genetics will likely be the cause (although grey hair is associated with heavy stress). I spotted the first one or few at that age. Have a few now at 22.

All that matters is you keep off the stress because it will do no good, regardless of your hair. It's unlikely you have a deficiency, but make sure you're getting enough vitamin E
Last edited by Ben878 (LfL); 1 month ago
Anonymous #1
Sorry could you repeat it again in an easy to understand way:confused:, I sort of understood what you meant but I want to be sure.
TeenRose29
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I had a grey hair when I was like 14/15. People told me not to cut it or whatever cuz I'll grow loads more but I did it anyway and I haven't seen a grey hair since then :rolleyes: even though I have been under a lot more stress since then, it happens, don't worry.
plainjayne1
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I started to go grey at 13 and I was diagnosed with pernicious anaemia. Have your b vitamins checked as well as thyroid, if you have other symptoms.
TeenRose29
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Sports10 rebirth)
yaal have passed your prime - you are old and weak if your born in 2001 you missed the mark by 4 whole years look at me so modernised 2005 newbie
congrats hun
Anonymous #1
Ok I will definitely give it a look, is it worth mentioning to my GP beforehand? (I already have a booked appointment for another issue)
Anonymous #1
(Original post by TeenRose29)
I had a grey hair when I was like 14/15. People told me not to cut it or whatever cuz I'll grow loads more but I did it anyway and I haven't seen a grey hair since then :rolleyes: even though I have been under a lot more stress since then, it happens, don't worry.
I plucked it as it was a single hair (but I made sure to google if it would grow loads more but it didn't ), hopefully my hair does what hair done too .
Anonymous #1
(Original post by plainjayne1)
I started to go grey at 13 and I was diagnosed with pernicious anaemia. Have your b vitamins checked as well as thyroid, if you have other symptoms.
I do have a diagnosed iron deficiency and I suspect I may be deficient when it comes to other vitamins too. I am planning to have my thyroid checked as it is.
username4878202
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Got quite a few greys myself but it's an easy fix right so don't worry about it too much
Last edited by username4878202; 1 month ago
Lance18
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Sports10 rebirth)
hey MR - acknoledge my comment as i am trying to add value
OP didn't even acknowledge you haha wasted your time
TeenRose29
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I plucked it as it was a single hair (but I made sure to google if it would grow loads more but it didn't ), hopefully my hair does what hair done too .
yup n i was embarrassed by it cuz it came out of nowhere n i didnt want my friends to laugh at me ive had a lot of hair loss though so thts bullshet too
plainjayne1
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I do have a diagnosed iron deficiency and I suspect I may be deficient when it comes to other vitamins too. I am planning to have my thyroid checked as it is.
You'll have to ask for a b12 test, it's not a routine test. It's good you're having your thyroid checked. I wasn't fussed about having grey hair when I was younger, it was a bit fun. I care now I'm older and have to dye it because if I don't I will look my age.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Would you turn to a teacher if you were being bullied?

Yes (69)
23.71%
No (222)
76.29%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed