The Student Room Group

A-Level Remark Success Stories

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by WinterKuma
Hey, I also missed my UCL offer! What course is this for and is UCL aware of your remark? I harassed them with emails after countless failed phone call attempts haha. Good luck to both of us!

I had an offer of A*AA or AAA with EPQ for international social and political studies (super competitive) programme at UCL. I even passed their admissions test which only just over 50% of applicants passed according to them. So gutted.
Original post by JCIM
I had an offer of A*AA or AAA with EPQ for international social and political studies (super competitive) programme at UCL. I even passed their admissions test which only just over 50% of applicants passed according to them. So gutted.

Omg I know how you feel. I did an EPQ but apparently they don't consider it for Economics which sucks. Do you have an insurance uni?
Reply 62
Omg I know how you feel. I did an EPQ but apparently they don't consider it for Economics which sucks. Do you have an insurance uni?

Yeah Manchester. Its so frustrating to think a few months ago I was invited to Cambridge for an interview and imagining being there and now I am worrying if I should retake a year and beg for my place at UCL back. Its the most awful feeling, as well as disappointing everyones expectations.
Original post by JCIM
Yeah Manchester. Its so frustrating to think a few months ago I was invited to Cambridge for an interview and imagining being there and now I am worrying if I should retake a year and beg for my place at UCL back. Its the most awful feeling, as well as disappointing everyones expectations.

Same! I was rejected by Cambridge post-interview and was debating whether UCL is a good uni for econs and now I'm begging UCL to accept me haha. I emailed them and they said they can't take even near misses because the course is oversubscribed and retaking would weaken your application. Manchester is still great though. I have nowhere to go if my remark doesn't go up :/
Reply 64
Same! I was rejected by Cambridge post-interview and was debating whether UCL is a good uni for econs and now I'm begging UCL to accept me haha. I emailed them and they said they can't take even near misses because the course is oversubscribed and retaking would weaken your application. Manchester is still great though. I have nowhere to go if my remark doesn't go up :/

Praying for both of us, my friend
Original post by JCIM
Praying for both of us, my friend

Went to church just now to pray for the remark to go up lolz
Original post by Silurianwarrior
Hi,
Assuming you’re on AQA (I did Option HS), you?
I was 10 marks off an A and and scored unusually low in my two papers.
Got 40/40 for the NEA (A*) and was also predicted an A*.
To my recollection, the exams went well - definitely not A* standard but I thought I’d written strong essays that would’ve warranted an A at the least, so to see a B was really surprising.
Yesterday, found out my scripts are being obtained first as my exams officer has decided not to priority remark as I’m too far off the A - 10 marks is a lot to gain.
I think it’s best, I’m going to go over them and see if I overestimated my performance or if the examiner was too harsh - that way I won’t be wasting my own money.

I did Pearson Edexcel so not sure the difference on that but looks like we’re in a similar situation I was 4 marks away from an A but had previous A*/A’s consistent in mocks so very disheartening!
My teachers have also requested my scripts back which is annoying as it prelongs the process I suppose but do you have any idea of how long it takes to get this back and send it back off? Wishing you the best of luck also as I’ve seen 55% of us could’ve got the wrong mark in history/English lit so let’s hope that’s us included.
Original post by georgiaconway
I did Pearson Edexcel so not sure the difference on that but looks like we’re in a similar situation I was 4 marks away from an A but had previous A*/A’s consistent in mocks so very disheartening!
My teachers have also requested my scripts back which is annoying as it prelongs the process I suppose but do you have any idea of how long it takes to get this back and send it back off? Wishing you the best of luck also as I’ve seen 55% of us could’ve got the wrong mark in history/English lit so let’s hope that’s us included.

If your uni place depends on it, I would strongly recommend to send it for a priority remark.
If you want the scripts back too, that’s fine, but if your uni place requires the A for History, then don’t wait for the scripts to come back.
The deadline for priority remark is the 22nd (Thursday).
Obtaining scripts, reading over them and then deciding to send it off would mean that you’ll most likely find out the outcome of the remark in early Sept - far too late for your firm uni to do anything about it.
Yep, I’m also hoping that includes us! Really hope it goes well for you! Good luck
Original post by Silurianwarrior
If your uni place depends on it, I would strongly recommend to send it for a priority remark.
If you want the scripts back too, that’s fine, but if your uni place requires the A for History, then don’t wait for the scripts to come back.
The deadline for priority remark is the 22nd (Thursday).
Obtaining scripts, reading over them and then deciding to send it off would mean that you’ll most likely find out the outcome of the remark in early Sept - far too late for your firm uni to do anything about it.
Yep, I’m also hoping that includes us! Really hope it goes well for you! Good luck

Yes warrior is absolutely correct.Apply now!
Successful remarks do happen. Personally I can verify a 17 UMS increase in History and 12 in English Lit. No guarantees obviously it depends upon whether the process was not followed / marking scheme not applied or over harshly marked but it is possible.
Original post by Anon0601
Successful remarks do happen. Personally I can verify a 17 UMS increase in History and 12 in English Lit. No guarantees obviously it depends upon whether the process was not followed / marking scheme not applied or over harshly marked but it is possible.

They do indeed but your increases were exceptional, especially in History!
Reply 71

Was that this year??
Original post by Chantelleduru
Was that this year??

yes
I also strongly recommend going for a priority remark as quickly as possible if you are marginally failed to a firm offer. My brother just gained 2 marks from Paper 1 Econ Edexcel. (Aug 2019) Check with an expert to select the best paper for remarks. Priority remark took 3 days including weekends in our case. (But this might be an exceptional example. We were expecting 5 days.) Thanks for tips in this forum and good luck to all of you!!!
Fingers crossed for you all, I'm not in that situation but the tension would be driving me mad!
Original post by harrysbar
They do indeed but your increases were exceptional, especially in History!

Hi can I ask what exam board you were on for history and if this was after sending all the papers off? My teachers have asked for the scripts back prolonging the process as I’m taking a gap year anyway does ur college have to agree to send it off or is there a way to do it quicker without them?
Original post by georgiaconway
Hi can I ask what exam board you were on for history and if this was after sending all the papers off? My teachers have asked for the scripts back prolonging the process as I’m taking a gap year anyway does ur college have to agree to send it off or is there a way to do it quicker without them?

You quoted the wrong person, I haven’t sent any results off for a remark as my exams were years ago! You do have to do it through your school though, and they should have got your permission before requesting the scripts back due to the delay issue
Successful remarks do happen. Personally I can verify a 17 UMS increase in History and 12 in English Lit. No guarantees obviously it depends upon Whawhether the process was not followed / marking scheme not applied or over harshly marked but it is possible.

What exam board??
Reply 78
Original post by Miraldn
i got AAB and needed AAA

Same goold luck
Has anyone had a successful re-grade from a remark?

I'm having one of my maths (Edexcel) papers remarked and I don't know what to do to keep my misery away while waiting for the results. I'm 3 marks off an A* and my firm has already rejected me.

I know that marks can go down or stay the same especially with maths but I'm hoping against hope that they have missed a page or miscalculated...

Has your teacher checked it and found errors? We are only paying when we've checked the copy of the script.

Quick Reply

Latest