The Student Room Group

Should I give up on Cambridge?

Hey, so I got my AS results and they really weren’t what I was hoping for:
I got a B in chemistry, B in maths, C in biology and C in classical civilisation.
I’m really disappointed with myself I worked so hard this year and it just didn’t pay off. I feel so defeated. I never had a goal or something to aim for at GCSE so I just kinda drifted along through them but when I started doing AS my teacher suggested I look at Cambridge. I fell in love with it I love the whole atmosphere there (I’ve visited several times on open days, masterclasses and had a taster day at Jesus College) and the course. I want to read natural sciences.
However, on countless Oxbridge threads I’ve seen their applicants applying with straight A’s. I don’t know if I can compete with this to get an offer it would’ve been difficult even if I had straight A’s.
So, I guess what I’m trying to ask is if I should give up on going to Cambridge or not? Is there any hope for me?
Sorry that this is so long, it’s just been weighing really heavily on my mind. This has actually been quite cathartic. Any responses would be appreciated.

Scroll to see replies

Honestly speaking I am not sure. I also want to go into Oxford or Cambridge but if I don't get into them it really wouldn't matter because although they have a big reputation, there are a lot of other good colleges. I am going into year 11 in September, so I am not sure if I will give you the best advice but if you don't mind me asking, What did you get in your GCSE'S?
Reply 2
Original post by Leader9!
Honestly speaking I am not sure. I also want to go into Oxford or Cambridge but if I don't get into them it really wouldn't matter because although they have a big reputation, there are a lot of other good colleges. I am going into year 11 in September, so I am not sure if I will give you the best advice but if you don't mind me asking, What did you get in your GCSE'S?

Ok, I got:
9s in English Lit and RS
An 8 in English Language
7s in Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Media Studies and French
6s in Latin, Maths, Geography
Original post by A*Wannabeee
Ok, I got:
9s in English Lit and RS
An 8 in English Language
7s in Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Media Studies and French
6s in Latin, Maths, Geography

I think it also depends on what course you want to do. By the way your GCSE grades are really good 🙂.
Unfortunately based on your AS grades they would most probably not give you an interview but you could complete your a levels & then apply after you have them!
Reply 5
Can you drop a subject? I think you've actually done quite well considering you're doing 4 subjects. It really depends on what you're going to do at uni, but I'd think about dropping classical civilisation.
Reply 6
Original post by Leader9!
I think it also depends on what course you want to do. By the way your GCSE grades are really good 🙂.

Thanks, I would like to do Natural Sciences at Jesus College.
Honestly, they sometimes even reject those with 4 A*s so if you know you can get similar grades then apply or perhaps visit some other unis as oxbridge aren’t the only options.
Cambridge doesn't weigh GCSEs that heavily, however the AS results they will consider a great deal more. If you wanted to apply to Cambridge you would probably need to plan to take a gap year and apply once you have your results (which meet the entry criteria). That said, if you are predicted A*A*A, and do extremely well on the NSAA, they may just take the AS results as a blip. I think the gap year route is probably the more realistic scenario though.
Reply 9
Original post by OR321
Honestly, they sometimes even reject those with 4 A*s so if you know you can get similar grades then apply or perhaps visit some other unis as oxbridge aren’t the only options.

I know that I can do better in my actual A Levels, I just don’t know if Cambridge is more of a pipe dream with my AS results.
You are probably unlikely to get an offer with those grades as the entry requirements are A*A*A. You could maybe redo year 12, in which case if you do get A’s you could probably make a competitive application but they might not look kindly on resitting. Cambridge isn’t everything though and I’m sure they are many other universities with atmospheres that will appeal to you.
Thanks, I would like to do Natural Sciences at Jesus College.

I think that would be a competitive course but let me give you an advise even though you think it's not worth it you should STILL apply to Cambridge just to tell yourself that at least you tried. Maybe, you will be accepted if there is little or no competition.
Original post by artful_lounger
Cambridge doesn't weigh GCSEs that heavily, however the AS results they will consider a great deal more. If you wanted to apply to Cambridge you would probably need to plan to take a gap year and apply once you have your results (which meet the entry criteria). That said, if you are predicted A*A*A, and do extremely well on the NSAA, they may just take the AS results as a blip. I think the gap year route is probably the more realistic scenario though.

How could I be predicted A*A*A though??
Are the AS exams external?
Original post by STEM.lover
Are the AS exams external?

Yes.
Original post by Rawr789
Can you drop a subject? I think you've actually done quite well considering you're doing 4 subjects. It really depends on what you're going to do at uni, but I'd think about dropping classical civilisation.

I could, but I don’t want to be a one trick pony if that makes sense I want to be more than a science student and show that I can also form arguments and debate. Plus I really enjoy classics it lets me think in a different way than my other subjects do.
I don’t think you are able to get an A* unless you resit. From what I’ve been told to get an A* at A level you require 90%+ UMS in A2 modules AND an A in AS. But that might just be my exam board, you should check.
How could I be predicted A*A*A though??

I have no idea, but that's what you would need to be predicted to apply to Cambridge anyway (since those are the minimum entry criteria for the course). Your teachers are the ones making the predictions, and know you and your work best; they may decide that your AS results are not representative and predict you those grades. That said, Cambridge might look at the significant difference and be concerned by it, if there isn't other evidence (e.g. excellent NSAA results) to support them.

Like I said, the most realistic route would be to wait until you have your A-level results and apply in a gap year.
Original post by STEM.lover
I don’t think you are able to get an A* unless you resit. From what I’ve been told to get an A* at A level you require 90%+ UMS in A2 modules AND an A in AS. But that might just be my exam board, you should check.

I think that’s just your exam board for mine AS grades don’t really contribute to anything other than predicted grades. What exam boards are you doing?
Original post by artful_lounger
I have no idea, but that's what you would need to be predicted to apply to Cambridge anyway (since those are the minimum entry criteria for the course). Your teachers are the ones making the predictions, and know you and your work best; they may decide that your AS results are not representative and predict you those grades. That said, Cambridge might look at the significant difference and be concerned by it, if there isn't other evidence (e.g. excellent NSAA results) to support them.

Like I said, the most realistic route would be to wait until you have your A-level results and apply in a gap year.

That makes sense, I was ill during exams with a UTI which made it almost impossible to concentrate and I kept having to go to the bathroom so I wasted time.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending