The Student Room Group

Got fined £40 for bus fare ticket

I feel like ranting. I just need advice since prior to this my parents were just ignorant and this could've been avoided altogether. I paid £1.50 which is apparently a short stop. It was honestly an innocent mistake.The inspector took me off the bus while my sisters and friends looked on and then was persistent in me paying the £40 fine or i being registered on the system - he made it sound so bad, not making me aware that I could pay in the 14 day period, alreast I would have some hope of getting away with it. So naive on my part. In this time, he was getting irritated and I tried explaining myself that the bus driver accepted it etc.

Thinking back I could've just played my part by saying I was a teen (which I am). Instead he held onto my credit card as a form of ID and I ended up paying by card and he got me on to the next bus. Funny since I thought I'd have to pay more money to get on the next bus, you know what I mean? Everything revolves around money :mad:. Freaking hate the system.

I only have a receipt and don't know if it'll be worth me appealing. I can't afford to pay £40 (who can??), I don't have a job and I'm 19, that was my savings (just my luck) and I want my money back, if that's remotely possible. The real question is, how can I appeal online? I've searched and the only thing that comes up is bus lane fare for cars.. meanwhile, everybody out here getting on the bus for free.

Thank you in advance.

Edit: I paid 1.50 not child fare
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by Shebam
I feel like ranting. I just need advice since prior to this my parents were just ignorant and this could've been avoided altogether. I paid £1.50 which is apparently a short stop. It was honestly an innocent mistake.The inspector took me off the bus while my sisters and friends looked on and then was persistent in me paying the £40 fine or i being registered on the system - he made it sound so bad, not making me aware that I could pay in the 14 day period, alreast I would have some hope of getting away with it. So naive on my part. In this time, he was getting irritated and I tried explaining myself that the bus driver accepted it etc, as a matter of fact I was in the wrong bc I paid £1.20 bc my mom tells me that i can get away with looking 15 (lesson learned never listen to your parents), anyways the bus driver put on 1.50.

Thinking back I could've just played my part by saying I was a teen (which I am). Instead he held onto my credit card as a form of ID and I ended up paying by card and he got me on to the next bus. Funny since I thought I'd have to pay more money. Freaking hate the system. I only have a receipt and dont know if itll be worth me appealing. I cant afford to pay £40 (who can??), I dont have a job and I'm 19, that was my savings, and I want my money back, if that's remotely possible. The real question is, how can I appeal online? I've searched and the only thing that comes up is bus lane fare for cars.. meanwhile, everybody out here getting on the bus for free.

Thank you in advance.

So what is your case/ Your parents told you to pretend you were a teen and pay £1.20 fraudulently. but the bus driver charged you £1.50, so your fraud didnt work out and the ticket inspector nabbed you for overstaying your £1.50 stop?

Contact the bus company or look on their website for where the appeal procedures are.
Original post by Shebam
I feel like ranting. I just need advice since prior to this my parents were just ignorant and this could've been avoided altogether. I paid £1.50 which is apparently a short stop. It was honestly an innocent mistake.The inspector took me off the bus while my sisters and friends looked on and then was persistent in me paying the £40 fine or i being registered on the system - he made it sound so bad, not making me aware that I could pay in the 14 day period, alreast I would have some hope of getting away with it. So naive on my part. In this time, he was getting irritated and I tried explaining myself that the bus driver accepted it etc, as a matter of fact I was in the wrong bc I paid £1.20 bc my mom tells me that i can get away with looking 15 (lesson learned never listen to your parents), anyways the bus driver put on 1.50.

Thinking back I could've just played my part by saying I was a teen (which I am). Instead he held onto my credit card as a form of ID and I ended up paying by card and he got me on to the next bus. Funny since I thought I'd have to pay more money. Freaking hate the system. I only have a receipt and dont know if itll be worth me appealing. I cant afford to pay £40 (who can??), I dont have a job and I'm 19, that was my savings, and I want my money back, if that's remotely possible. The real question is, how can I appeal online? I've searched and the only thing that comes up is bus lane fare for cars.. meanwhile, everybody out here getting on the bus for free.

Thank you in advance.

Lmfao I got fined too!!! In June. I paid it on the last day it was due and I had a screaming match with the reps haha. *******s.
Reply 3
Original post by 999tigger
So what is your case/ Your parents told you to pretend you were a teen and pay £1.20 fraudulently. but the bus driver charged you £1.50, so your fraud didnt work out and the ticket inspector nabbed you for overstaying your £1.50 stop?

Contact the bus company or look on their website for where the appeal procedures are.

Oh, scrap that part up, I've thought about it and up until today I've been paying 1.50 (thought I paid 1.20) not knowing that the full price is 2.40, I'm fairly new to this. And to be fair I have gotten away with 1.20, but dont tell the inspectors that. I didnt know any better; my mom was like you can get away with child ticket, which I probably could but I prefer paying the adult price, little did I know we have to pay 2.40. I hope I'm making myself clear here. I haven't told her about my fine, lol but I gave her hints that she should pay in full but she is in denial. God help her in the future.

In a way I was relieved to be paying 40 and not some ridiculous amount, eventhough life is unfair.

Thank you, I will do that.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by Bang Outta Order
Lmfao I got fined too!!! In June. I paid it on the last day it was due and I had a screaming match with the reps haha. *******s.

Yikes, you make it sound like a good thing, though it doesn't look too good on us does it, in front of all those people. And it must be a rough job for them :colonhash: inspectors. I could've handled it better tbh.
Original post by Shebam
Oh, scrap that part up, I've thought about it and up until today I've been paying 1.50 (thought I paid 1.20) not knowing that the full price is 2.40, I'm fairly new to this. Tbf I didnt know any better, my mom was like you can get away with child ticket, which I probably could but I prefer paying the adult price, little did I know we have to pay 2.40. I hope I'm making myself clear here. I havent told her about my fine, lol but I gave her hints that she should pay in full but she is in denial. Good god in the future.

Thank you, I will do that.

Maybe you could point out it was a mistake, you are new and you are also unemployed. Maybe they will take pity on you.
Get a proof of benefits letter showing thats all the money you had.
Original post by Shebam
Yikes, you make it sound like a good thing, though it doesn't look too good on us does it, in front of all those people. And it must be a rough job for them :colonhash: inspectors. I could've handled it better tbh.

It was a good thing that I cussed out leeching bureaucrats!!!

And in front of what people? I paid by phone, kid...

How exactly did you handle it? Apologetically? For being "caught"? I didn't read the thread because it's too long.
Reply 7
Original post by 999tigger
Maybe you could point out it was a mistake, you are new and you are also unemployed. Maybe they will take pity on you.
Get a proof of benefits letter showing thats all the money you had.

I appreciate this.

Ah, but that's not the only money I have :confused:
Reply 8
It was a good thing that I cussed out leeching bureaucrats!!!

And in front of what people? I paid by phone, kid...

How exactly did you handle it? Apologetically? For being "caught"? I didn't read the thread because it's too long.

Sorry about the length, I was frustrated.

Oh ok, people as in when they take you off the bus. Man, I wish I handled it more maturely.

Surprisingly, I was stubborn and showed my annoyance bc I had my siblings on the bus, I think what annoyed me most was he didn't try to understand my situation - he just wanted me to pay up and get out of his hair.

He took me by surprise, I was thinking, "but I paid..." suppose it's a lesson and they're just doing their job :frown:
Original post by Shebam
I appreciate this.

Ah, but that's not the only money I have :confused:

You can show you are on benefits?
You are going to uni

I dunno, just grovel a bit.
Nothing to lose.
Original post by Shebam
Sorry about the length, I was frustrated.

Oh ok, people as in when they take you off the bus. Man, I wish I handled it more maturely.

Surprisingly, I was stubborn and showed my annoyance bc I had my siblings on the bus, I think what annoyed me most was he didn't try to understand my situation - he just wanted me to pay up and get out of his hair.

He took me by surprise, I was thinking, "but I paid..." suppose it's a lesson and they're just doing their job :frown:

Well my fine was that I was driving in the bus lane lol the driver honked and then signalled hod hand out the window so I waved my middle finger out the window lol he pulled up at a bus stop, got out and we had a row so he took my cars number plate down. I ripped the paper up but a traffic officer intervened and issued the fine lol I ****ged em off from a to z and then I lost the fine paper cos idgaf so then I rang em up like run me my details so I can pay the bloody thing as it's the last day before they hold me in contempt of court for missing the pay date. The guy gives me the WRONG number and I found out it was wrong because I called a second time lol and the other agent gave me ANOTHER number...so then I called a 3rd time and indie second number was confirmed. I hear that they give you the wrong information or intentionally process the wrong info so you're stuck paying fees and they get more money!!!! So that's why I kept ringing abs fussing. They tried to set me up. :smug:

The second time I ALMOST got a fine, a team of people working on the road saw me get removed from the bus that I was taking cos it was a short distance travel and I didn't wanna spend petrol money for it. Well...I snuck on through the back doors lol all is cool until the bus pulls over and brings on traffic police LMAO they're like let me see your travel cards lol then they get to me and take me off ROFL well the road guys were whispering to me while I was raging: WALK OFF THEY CANT STOP YOU. so I legged it lol the traffic police were literally like "ok fair enough"

:colone: lmaoooooooooo never riding that bus AGAIN so help me gawd
Reply 11
Original post by Shebam
I feel like ranting. I just need advice since prior to this my parents were just ignorant and this could've been avoided altogether. I paid £1.50 which is apparently a short stop. It was honestly an innocent mistake.The inspector took me off the bus while my sisters and friends looked on and then was persistent in me paying the £40 fine or i being registered on the system - he made it sound so bad, not making me aware that I could pay in the 14 day period, alreast I would have some hope of getting away with it. So naive on my part. In this time, he was getting irritated and I tried explaining myself that the bus driver accepted it etc.

Thinking back I could've just played my part by saying I was a teen (which I am). Instead he held onto my credit card as a form of ID and I ended up paying by card and he got me on to the next bus. Funny since I thought I'd have to pay more money to get on the next bus, you know what I mean? Everything revolves around money :mad:. Freaking hate the system.

I only have a receipt and don't know if it'll be worth me appealing. I can't afford to pay £40 (who can??), I don't have a job and I'm 19, that was my savings (just my luck) and I want my money back, if that's remotely possible. The real question is, how can I appeal online? I've searched and the only thing that comes up is bus lane fare for cars.. meanwhile, everybody out here getting on the bus for free.

Thank you in advance.

you should have just ran off dude if you couldn't afford it.

they don't pay these guys enough to run you down and wrestle you to the floor.

Mature
Original post by Shebam

Thank you in advance.

My son..... and I will never really know the truth..... failed to pay his train fare when he got on a suburban train a couple of years ago. There were no barriers, the machine was broken and he thought he could pay on the train. All possible...

Anyway ticket inspectors got on the train and found hecdidnt have a ticket. I think instead of being respectful he gave them a bit of an attitude..... again all possible. They took his address.

He was living away from home at the time. I gave his chum all his post to give to him. His chum forgot. Next thing I knew there is a court date set where he will get a huge fine and more worryingly a CRIMINAL RECORD .
My husband .. His stepfather is a solicitor and managed to get the fine paid before it went to court. Big relief.

Thing is.. my son is a teacher. If he has a criminal record that is his career destroyed. Add to that he would not ve able to travel to certain countries like the USA.

Think very carefully before you break the law
Reply 14
Original post by squeakysquirrel
My son..... and I will never really know the truth..... failed to pay his train fare when he got on a suburban train a couple of years ago. There were no barriers, the machine was broken and he thought he could pay on the train. All possible...

Anyway ticket inspectors got on the train and found hecdidnt have a ticket. I think instead of being respectful he gave them a bit of an attitude..... again all possible. They took his address.

He was living away from home at the time. I gave his chum all his post to give to him. His chum forgot. Next thing I knew there is a court date set where he will get a huge fine and more worryingly a CRIMINAL RECORD .
My husband .. His stepfather is a solicitor and managed to get the fine paid before it went to court. Big relief.

Thing is.. my son is a teacher. If he has a criminal record that is his career destroyed. Add to that he would not ve able to travel to certain countries like the USA.

Think very carefully before you break the law

I've always been a goodie to shoes, so he took me off guard when he told me to get off the bus and proceeded to force me into paying £40 or have it on my record (have big plans, much like your son and dont need that following me around)

...which I don't think I can get back and to top it off he didnt give me the full receipt (my fault for not knowing any better).

My mom is dim for mis-guiding me, saying that "no, no, you can get away with 1.50." Now, I have to clean up the mess bc of her wishful thinking? Woman is still in denial.

Learned my lesson...

Just mine and your sons luck, people get away with all sorts.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 15
Original post by ANM775
you should have just ran off dude if you couldn't afford it.

they don't pay these guys enough to run you down and wrestle you to the floor.

Where was I supposed to go? He had my credit card. Stupid me, should've said I was 15 or never gave him that card. Know better for the future but i dont plan on ever repeating my mistakes. Need the street smarts.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending