The Student Room Group

Meiosis and oocytes

Isnt this part of the attachment wrong "condensed chromosomes in eggs therefore stay attached to the spindle for many years".
I thought the egg disintegrates after 24 hours if it is not fertilised and then followed by the break down of the endometrium lining the uterus in the next couple of days.
So not sure what I have quoted above is highlighting.
Here is the attachment below:
15661765471608611621694798772745.jpg
Reply 1
I think it is referring to eggs that have not matured yet, before ovulation. As all eggs are formed in utero, by the age 40 a single egg may be 40 years old, during this time its chromosomes are attached to spindles.
Reply 2
Original post by Dhll
I think it is referring to eggs that have not matured yet, before ovulation. As all eggs are formed in utero, by the age 40 a single egg may be 40 years old, during this time its chromosomes are attached to spindles.

Ah thanks so much! I think I get what you mean. :smile: So some eggs may not have had the chance to be released from the ovary as yet through the process of ovulation and so might have been in the ovaries for years - therefore the chromosomes have been attached to the spindle fibres for a long time.
However, some eggs are released after months or weeks from the ovary so the chromosomes in these eggs are not attached to the spindle fibres for a long time.

So I guess it really depends on chance..it is random as to which egg is released from the ovary and how long the chromosomes have been attached to the spindle fibres in this egg.
Reply 3
Yep, seems like you understand!
Reply 4
Original post by Dhll
Yep, seems like you understand!

Thanks so much! :smile: Funny I didn't get the notification that you replied back :/

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending