The Student Room Group

What is the best laptop to buy in 2019?

Hi there,

So I am wanting to upgrade my laptop but I'm not sure where to start. Currently I am using a Macbook Air 13 inch but it's had it's day. It's slow and sluggish and just not performing well.

I am thinking of maybe looking at a Windows laptop but not sure which one.

My budget would be nothing over 600 pounds. I do not go to Uni and I have no plans to.

I hope Gofre replies to this!
Original post by harrisong12
I hope Gofre replies to this!

No.

:ahee:

But yeah, suffice to say the best laptop in 2019 costs over 600 quid, but I catch your drift.

What screen size do you want and what will you be using the laptop for?
Was your Macbook slow when you bought it?

If not, do a complete software rebuild (Back up all you data, ensure you'll be able to reinstall all your required software, reformat your hard drive or delete and recreate all partitions on it, reinstall the MacOS, reinstall your applications, restore your data).

Your Macbook should then be as fast or faster than new, assuming your applications don't include bloatware that slow it down.

The "best" laptop comes in many forms. For me, the best laptop would be one that I got for free that does the job that I want it to do. Like my girlfriend's Lenovo L450 that she got for free a while ago now. It's blistering quick for her needs: web browsing, writing letters and emails.
Haha I know I can count on you Gofre. Your the King of Tech! :smile:

I use my laptop for leisure use. For instance, browsing the web, youtube, shopping etc.

I currently have the macbook 13 inch and that's good. But I quite like the fact of having up to a 15 inch.

I hope this is helpful.
Original post by Dunnig Kruger
Was your Macbook slow when you bought it?

If not, do a complete software rebuild (Back up all you data, ensure you'll be able to reinstall all your required software, reformat your hard drive or delete and recreate all partitions on it, reinstall the MacOS, reinstall your applications, restore your data).

Your Macbook should then be as fast or faster than new, assuming your applications don't include bloatware that slow it down.

The "best" laptop comes in many forms. For me, the best laptop would be one that I got for free that does the job that I want it to do. Like my girlfriend's Lenovo L450 that she got for free a while ago now. It's blistering quick for her needs: web browsing, writing letters and emails.

Cheers! The laptop was originally quite fast when I bought it but over time it got really slow. And I tried a full restore, but it was still slow and takes a while to loads internet sites. And it's not my Wifi as it works on my dad's PC fine :smile:

I guess my best bet now is to do some looking on John Lewis. Thanks for the help!
Original post by harrisong12
Cheers! The laptop was originally quite fast when I bought it but over time it got really slow. And I tried a full restore, but it was still slow and takes a while to loads internet sites. And it's not my Wifi as it works on my dad's PC fine :smile:

I guess my best bet now is to do some looking on John Lewis. Thanks for the help!

Try a complete formatting / wiping of your hard drive. Then install the OS as if you were selling the MacBook on to someone else. Then reinstall just the basic essential applications that you need (if any).

It's possible that you've got some bloat, such as an ultra over-cautious anti virus application checking each website as it comes in. When you restored it you restored the bloat too.

Also does it have a mechanical hard drive? If so, replacing it with an SSD hard drive will speed it up nicely.

I'm typing this on a laptop that dates from 2011 to which I fitted an SSD. It loads websites at the speed that the internet connection of the location I'm at allows. IE no difference in web browsing speed between this and a 2019 desktop that I rebuilt for a friend recently after their Windows got corrupt.
Original post by Dunnig Kruger
Try a complete formatting / wiping of your hard drive. Then install the OS as if you were selling the MacBook on to someone else. Then reinstall just the basic essential applications that you need (if any).

It's possible that you've got some bloat, such as an ultra over-cautious anti virus application checking each website as it comes in. When you restored it you restored the bloat too.

Also does it have a mechanical hard drive? If so, replacing it with an SSD hard drive will speed it up nicely.

I'm typing this on a laptop that dates from 2011 to which I fitted an SSD. It loads websites at the speed that the internet connection of the location I'm at allows. IE no difference in web browsing speed between this and a 2019 desktop that I rebuilt for a friend recently after their Windows got corrupt.

Yeah that's another thing I got to mention, which is probably a key bit of info for this thread.

I must of installed some Anti Virus crap on my machine which is causing it to play up. It says "You Mac has been affected with 7 viruses, please seek immediate attention" or "Scan has completed, warning these need your immediate attention."

In general I screwed up the Mac and have learnt my lesson.
This is a 100% definite full software build, as if you were selling it to another person.

And then try to keep the installed applications to a minimum.

Laptops (and all PC's in general) are easy to fix if they are totally screwed software wise. Just create a fully blank slate and start again (after backing up all your data).

There are easy to follow instructions on how to do this. Use Google to find them.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending