The Student Room Group

Bags for PGCE year?

Bags for PGCE year?

Will I be carrying a lot of books and folders?
What do I actually bring to the school placement?
From your handle, I presume you're secondary? :smile: I did secondary Physics.

I had a backpack from Cath Kidston (they have separate laptop zip up bits!) which I used for placement and uni. I occasionally had to take more to uni (for example, things I bought to use in lessons that my placement school didn't have) and I just used a shopping bag on those days! All of my evidence was online so I didn't have to carry folders etc. - I just tried to take photos of work and things I thought would be useful towards the teacher standards.

To my school placement I took:
- my laptop
- pencil case
- lunch/drink/travel mug
- folder with planning and resources for the day

I had a work space in both of my placement schools where I could leave things if I wanted to.
Original post by airfixfighter
From your handle, I presume you're secondary? :smile: I did secondary Physics.

I had a backpack from Cath Kidston (they have separate laptop zip up bits!) which I used for placement and uni. I occasionally had to take more to uni (for example, things I bought to use in lessons that my placement school didn't have) and I just used a shopping bag on those days! All of my evidence was online so I didn't have to carry folders etc. - I just tried to take photos of work and things I thought would be useful towards the teacher standards.

- my laptop
- pencil case
- lunch/drink/travel mug

I had a work space in both of my placement schools where I could leave things if I wanted to.

Thank you!
Yess I'm doing secondary chemistry
I've checked out Cath Kidston and they have wheelie backpacks which sound so useful!
Original post by airfixfighter
- my laptop
- pencil case
- lunch/drink/travel mug

This is the most accurate idea of what you need to take to placements! OP, I hope you're taking note!
Original post by thenextchemist
Bags for PGCE year?

Will I be carrying a lot of books and folders?
What do I actually bring to the school placement?

You are (typically) given an area to work, and you may also be given your own computer in the department office (otherwise there should be plenty in the staff room). I took my laptop on occasion because the school computers are really restricting and its also nice to be able to plug in your headphones and stream Spotify!

A travel mug is a must as you can keep water, coffee or tea in it and it will pay for itself the first time you use it.

I wouldn't plan on buying a wheelie backpack just yet until you know for certain what your uni are going to require you to take to and from school.
Many providers now have their "folder stuff" online on OneDrive or Google Drive, reducing the need for folders. I trained at UCL and we had 1 folder which was kept at school and I never had to take it home until the last day of my placements.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending