The Student Room Group

Why do people say 'Everyone hates the English'?

I know a lot of countries hate the English but it's a huge exaggeration and wrong to say that every single country in the world hates the English. Because it isn't true. None of the Scandinavian countries hate the English. They actually admitted themselves that they're very fond of the English. Canadians don't either, as far as I know. Nor do Americans, the Japanese, the Dutch, the Swiss and the Italians. Australians don't really either. When it comes to sport, it appears they hate the English but at the end,they get along extremely well with them. Other countries do have their reasons for hating the English, especially the Scottish, the Welsh and the Irish and countries that got affected the most in the British Empire would hate the English ( British but mostly English) but why do people say "everyone" hates the English and almost every country hates England? Would anyone actually say otherwise of Scandinavia's relationship with England?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by anime198
I know a lot of countries hate the English but it's a huge exaggeration and wrong to say that every single country in the world hates the English. Because it isn't true. None of the Scandinavian countries hate the English. They actually admitted themselves that they're very fond of the English. Canadians don't either, as far as I know. Nor do Americans, the Japanese, the Dutch, the Swiss and the Italians. Australians don't really either. When it comes to sport, it appears they hate the English but at the end,they get along extremely well with them. Other countries do have their reasons for hating the English, especially the Scottish, the Welsh and the Irish and countries that got affected the most in the British Empire would hate the English ( British but mostly English) but why do people say "everyone" hates the English and almost every country hates England? Would anyone actually say otherwise of Scandinavia's relationship with England?

It's mostly a joke.

But at some point in history we (the English) have been at war with pretty much every country on the planet, so an a level it's accurate...

And then there's two other bits;
A- old world English superiority - we like to believe we're important enough for everyone to hate, and
B- the people that do hate us like to club together to make themselves feel better.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Drewski
It's mostly a joke.

But at some point in history we (the English) have been at war with pretty much every country on the planet, so an a level it's accurate...

Not Scandinavia or Japan. I've done a lot of research and I've never, ever seen any conflict between England and Scandinavia or England and Japan. The Japanese are actually huge Anglophiles. We did fight with America but they've forgiven us and consider us one of their best friends. I highly doubt they would say that if they hated us.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 3
From my view I think English r a bit cold hearted n minded and not letting others love them or show them love simply because they are unable to genuinely love others without betraying them
I think some English are not very hostile and that’s what ppl hates about most English
Not sure why English men tends to be very cold hearted with black female it’s very hard and unfair on us native female mostly when all our men are interested in English women and English men aren’t interested in black women it’s a bit sad to be let down by black english men too

Not sure if I made sense🤔😂😂
Reply 4
Not Scandinavia or Japan. I've done a lot of research and I've never, ever seen any conflict between England and Scandinavia or England and Japan. The Japanese are actually huge Anglophiles. We did fight with America but they've forgiven us and consider us one of their best friends. I higjhi doubt they would say that if they hated us.

Your research methods leave a lot to be desired!

We were technically at war with Finland during WW2 when they declared war on Russia. And we haven't really forgiven Scandinavia was a whole for the entire Viking thing...

We were very much at war against Imperial Japan during WW2 and fought bitter and extremely violent battles throughout the jungles of the far east.

And America... Kinda. But there's a reason why they almost exclusively use English actors as villains in their films...
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by Drewski
Your research methods leave a lot to be desired!

We were technically at war with Finland during WW2 when they declared war on Russia. And we haven't really forgiven Scandinavia was a whole for the entire Viking thing...

We were very much at war against Imperial Japan during WW2 and fought bitter and extremely violent battles throughout the jungles of the far east.

And America... Kinda. But there's a reason why they almost exclusively use English actors as villains in their films...

Finland maybe but not Sweden or Norway or Denmark. And no one still has a grudge regarding the Vikings. And we didn't fight vigorously with Finland. And we were not mostly fighting Japan in the war. They targeted Australia and the USA aswell. Apart from WW2, we've not had any vicious wars with the Japanese or the Scandinavians. You misunderstood what I said. You don't need to be overwhelmingly shocked in your response.
Everyone's jelly of our good looks and high IQ
Some definitely stems from this maybe

Reply 8
And we were not mostly fighting Japan in the war.

We weren't. But that doesn't mean the fighting that we had with them wasn't appallingly violent.

And it was all rather tongue in cheek. Re-read my first post. The quip about us being at war with everyone wasn't the main argument.
Reply 9
Original post by Drewski
We weren't. But that doesn't mean the fighting that we had with them wasn't appallingly violent.

And it was all rather tongue in cheek. Re-read my first post. The quip about us being at war with everyone wasn't the main argument.

What was tongue in cheek? What you said earlier on didn't seem like that at all.
We fought Japan in WW2 in Burma and Singapore etc.

And we pretty much fought every single European county at one point. Albeit it was mainly the French.
Reply 11
Not Scandinavia or Japan. I've done a lot of research and I've never, ever seen any conflict between England and Scandinavia or England and Japan. The Japanese are actually huge Anglophiles. We did fight with America but they've forgiven us and consider us one of their best friends. I higjhi doubt they would say that if they hated us.

Kinell, you shoulda had a word with my Granddad about him shooting down Japanese bombers as part of the Eastern Fleet in '42
Reply 12
Original post by Andrew97
We fought Japan in WW2 in Burma and Singapore etc.

And we pretty much fought every single European county at one point. Albeit it was mainly the French.

Where's the evidence we fought Norway, Sweden and Denmark? Excluding the Vikings. In more recent centuries, when was the last time we fought all those countries?
None of the Scandinavian countries hate the English.

i'm swedish and i hate the english, sorry to burst your bubble,
Reply 14
Original post by angelinahx
i'm swedish and i hate the english, sorry to burst your bubble, men ni suger kuk tyvärr

Why? What's your reason? I think you'll find it extremely difficult to find any English people that hate the Swedish.
Where's the evidence we fought Norway, Sweden and Denmark? Excluding the Vikings. In more recent centuries, when was the last time we fought all those countries?

Finland. WW2

Sweden. 7 years war
Denmark and Norway were once part of a union. We fought Denmark-Norway in the napelonic war.
Reply 16
Original post by Andrew97
Finland. WW2

Sweden. 7 years war
Denmark and Norway were once part of a union. We fought Denmark-Norway in the napelonic war.

When was the fight with Sweden?
When was the fight with Sweden?

The 7 years war in 1756 and lasted 7 years. That’s why it’s called the 7 years war. Sweden at the time was the Swedish empire
Reply 18
Original post by Professional G
The 7 years war in 1756 and lasted 7 years. That’s why it’s called the 7 years war. Sweden at the time was the Swedish empire

Fair enough but there isn't a historical grudge over it. Well they definitely don't see that as an excuse.
(edited 4 years ago)
Why? What's your reason? I think you'll find it extremely difficult to find any English people that hate the Swedish.

y'all conquered like 90% of the world and think you're special when nobody in europe cares about u, ur like europe's (if you're even part of europe, i don't consider you to be) equivalent of americans

Latest

Trending

Trending