The Student Room Group

Computer Science or Engineering Masters with Undergraduate Maths/Physics Degree

Which would be the choice of master's course with the widest range of career options, Computer Science or Engineering (most likely mechanical or aerospace engineering)? Would I be able to get computing jobs with the engineering masters and vice versa? I am struggling to make my mind up. Is there a course which offers elements of both fields?
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by Classified99
Which would be the choice of master's course with the widest range of career options, Computer Science or Engineering (most likely mechanical or aerospace engineering)? Would I be able to get computing jobs with the engineering masters and vice versa? I am struggling to make my mind up. Is there a course which offers elements of both fields?

I started off year 12 wanting to do engineering (aerospace) but now two months ago I changed my mind to do computer science. Computer science does give a lot more career options than engineering and has a higher demand. https://www.prospects.ac.uk/careers-advice/what-can-i-do-with-my-degree/computer-science has some stats the I used as part of other info to make my decision. You can compare the stats for comp sci and engineering on that website.

You can get a computer science related job with an engineering degree, however you wouldn't have the same coding experience and knowledge as a computer science graduate so it would indeed be hard. I wouldn't imagine you would be able to be an engineer that gets to design say a rocket engine with a computer science degree. However, you can still work in the aerospace and all other engineering fields with a computer science masters as all engineering fields are driven by computers and you would be able to fit right in whether its creating software for on board communication systems or designing interface for a robot like the mars rover.

Also with the rise of artificial intelligence and machine learning computer science would give you an edge when applying for futuristic jobs at places like google, amazon, tesla and virgin. Lastly, computer science graduates tend to earn a lot more than engineers in fact it is one of the most highest paying fields, not saying that money is the only motive but it certainly is a part of it.
(edited 4 years ago)
It would be easier to go into a comp sci role with an engineering degree than the other way around but I think you should try to decide which career path you're more interested in then pick the relevant masters. Have you got any experience in either field?
Original post by Student-95
It would be easier to go into a comp sci role with an engineering degree than the other way around but I think you should try to decide which career path you're more interested in then pick the relevant masters. Have you got any experience in either field?

I have spent a day shadowing engineers at an engineering firm and did a week of my year 10 work experience in IT. That's it at the moment.
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by Classified99
I have spent a day shadowing engineers at an engineering firm and did a week of my year 10 work experience in IT. That's it at the moment.

Probably worth trying to get some summer internships / a placement year to see which one you prefer more and to boost your future employability.
(edited 4 years ago)
How about Software Engineering?

Quick Reply

Latest