The Student Room Group

Art or philosophy? (Urgent!!)

GCSE results day is tomorrow and I'm still extremely confused!

Assuming a best-case scenario in which I (miraculously) got a grade 7 in maths so I could take A levels physics and maths, I'm struggling to choose between art or philosophy as a third option (also assuming art fits into the timetable...)

Would the workload for art combined with those subjects be too much? On top of that, I'm self-studying A Level Japanese. Would I be taking on too much by picking art? Does anyone think philosophy would be any gentler in terms of workload?

Although philosophy sounds interesting, I get nervous about essay subjects and don't usually do as well in them in timed conditions. Art might be more useful in case I wanted to pursue concept art or architecture but I'm worried that with three heavy subjects already, the workload would become WAY too packed. (Also, I'm a slow enough painter as it is.)

This is all hypothetical because I doubt I'll achieve a grade 7 in maths, but I don't want to be underprepared for anything.
Any help will be appreciated!

Scroll to see replies

Wait till results day to see if you have a grade 7 in maths to see if this situation happens. Then wait till registration day to see if the timetable fits for each subject. If art/philosophy is in a subject where maths and physics is in and maths and physics is the aleceld u wanna do, it’s be easy to pick the other option but if u wanna do that option you might have to switch. Basically what I’m saying is wait till registration day to see the time table but also think about each option till then.

Tbh art isn’t a heavy load during gcse for me (Idk how it’s like in a level) but it was just the time management and me being bothered to do it. I think you’ll manage with physics and maths as it’s more question based so you can manage your coursework while learning facts and revising but this based on what the subjects are like in general. The same with essays since it’s easy for you to do if you are good at time management but I do warn you that you may get a lot of essays to do because for history I had to lots of essays as homework but also for exam practice and revision so do keep that in mind. Also keep in mind art is more of the development to your final piece so you have to really think about it and how you work towards it while staying true to your intentions and theme while also saving time for your final piece. It depends on what u would like to do more tbh.
I mean, what do you want to study at university? You have chosen quite a broad range of subjects here and may want to consider narrowing down your options based on what you want to pursue :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by PetitePanda
Wait till results day to see if you have a grade 7 in maths to see if this situation happens. Then wait till registration day to see if the timetable fits for each subject. If art/philosophy is in a subject where maths and physics is in and maths and physics is the aleceld u wanna do, it’s be easy to pick the other option but if u wanna do that option you might have to switch. Basically what I’m saying is wait till registration day to see the time table but also think about each option till then.

Tbh art isn’t a heavy load during gcse for me (Idk how it’s like in a level) but it was just the time management and me being bothered to do it. I think you’ll manage with physics and maths as it’s more question based so you can manage your coursework while learning facts and revising but this based on what the subjects are like in general. The same with essays since it’s easy for you to do if you are good at time management but I do warn you that you may get a lot of essays to do because for history I had to lots of essays as homework but also for exam practice and revision so do keep that in mind. Also keep in mind art is more of the development to your final piece so you have to really think about it and how you work towards it while staying true to your intentions and theme while also saving time for your final piece. It depends on what u would like to do more tbh.

Ah, so it's more about personal preference than workload.
Hmm perhaps I could talk to the teachers of both subjects and see what they think...

Thank you so much!
I might suggest doing Religious Studies and Ethics instead of Philosophy. RS is extremely interesting and much, much easier than Philo all the while being common sense. Have a look into RS. I'd definitely consider it if I were you.

As an aside, are you sure you want to do more on top of self-learning Japanese? I wouldn't really do 4.
Reply 5
Original post by barror1
I mean, what do you want to study at university? You have chosen quite a broad range of subjects here and may want to consider narrowing down your options based on what you want to pursue :smile:

My main goal is to study physics at university, but art follows quite closely behind.
If I perhaps didn't want to continue physics any further than A level (due to difficulty of maths), at least I would have the option of taking the art route instead...

Also, I'd love to be fluent in Japanese and somehow combine it with any of my career choices!
Original post by YatoSan
My main goal is to study physics at university, but art follows quite closely behind.
If I perhaps didn't want to continue physics any further than A level (due to difficulty of maths), at least I would have the option of taking the art route instead...

Also, I'd love to be fluent in Japanese and somehow combine it with any of my career choices!

Yeah that is fair.
What the wonderful @Lemur14 has advised me that what subjects you take at A-level really depends on what 'tier' of university you are applying to.
Eg. If you want to go to a university that wants A*A*A, you may really want to pick another facilitating subject (so another science, English, History, etc.) instead of art. However, if you want to go to a ABB uni or something with lower grade requirements for entry, you probably have a higher chance of being accepted with the art A-level.

The Japanese may be useful regardless, especially if you want to pursue a year abroad (in industry).However, with the art A-level you will need to think more carefully.
Reply 7
Original post by Quick-use
I might suggest doing Religious Studies and Ethics instead of Philosophy. RS is extremely interesting and much, much easier than Philo all the while being common sense. Have a look into RS. I'd definitely consider it if I were you.

As an aside, are you sure you want to do more on top of self-learning Japanese? I wouldn't really do 4.

Thank you, I'll have a look at the RS spec and see what I think!

I'd prefer not to take four A Levels. I studied Japanese at GCSE and wanted to continue it, but my school removed it from the curriculum so I have to self-study and use a tutor once a week. The schools I applied to wouldn't take it as my third option but only allowed me to not do the EPQ. So unless I dropped Japanese, I have no choice but to do 4...
Original post by YatoSan

I'd prefer not to take four A Levels. I studied Japanese at GCSE and wanted to continue it, but my school removed it from the curriculum so I have to self-study and use a tutor once a week. The schools I applied to wouldn't take it as my third option but only allowed me to not do the EPQ. So unless I dropped Japanese, I have no choice but to do 4...

I mean how comfortable to you feel about taking RS/Philosophy?
A-levels can be hysterically difficult and can be made even worse if you are not passionate about the subjects. Keep that in mind when making your decisions :smile:
Personally I think it sounds like you don't want to do philosophy, if you don't do well at essay subjects in exam conditions, philosophy is unlikely to be for you (3 hour exams with multiple essays on the exam board my school took).
Art would be a perfectly sensible subject to take if you are thinking of architecture, but really I would just wait until your results tomorrow to decide, it's easier when you know what you've got!
Out of curiosity, how many marks do you think you got for a grade 7?
Reply 11
Original post by barror1
Yeah that is fair.
What the wonderful @Lemur14 has advised me that what subjects you take at A-level really depends on what 'tier' of university you are applying to.
Eg. If you want to go to a university that wants A*A*A, you may really want to pick another facilitating subject (so another science, English, History, etc.) instead of art. However, if you want to go to a ABB uni or something with lower grade requirements for entry, you probably have a higher chance of being accepted with the art A-level.

The Japanese may be useful regardless, especially if you want to pursue a year abroad (in industry).However, with the art A-level you will need to think more carefully.

Oh I see, so perhaps I don't need art. Some universities can actually offer a place based on a portfolio rather than if you've done art at A level.
I think I'll try to aim high and go for philosophy or something, whilst perhaps building up a portfolio in my free time...? (Although I'd probably need a foundation year in physics regardless haha)

This is very helpful, thank you so much!
Reply 12
Original post by Lemur14
Personally I think it sounds like you don't want to do philosophy, if you don't do well at essay subjects in exam conditions, philosophy is unlikely to be for you (3 hour exams with multiple essays on the exam board my school took).
Art would be a perfectly sensible subject to take if you are thinking of architecture, but really I would just wait until your results tomorrow to decide, it's easier when you know what you've got!

That's a problem... three hours of panicking is a long time!

I think art might be more useful because it's actually a prospect I'm considering. I've had a few mixed responses on this so far; maybe I should wait until results day and see if I can ask some of the teachers (if that's possible...)

Thank you so much for the advice!
Original post by YatoSan
That's a problem... three hours of panicking is a long time!

I think art might be more useful because it's actually a prospect I'm considering. I've had a few mixed responses on this so far; maybe I should wait until results day and see if I can ask some of the teachers (if that's possible...)

Thank you so much for the advice!

No matter what, definitely wait until tomorrow. Honestly, you seem really passionate about art and I don't want you to lose that. Keep on it! <3
Reply 14
Original post by barror1
No matter what, definitely wait until tomorrow. Honestly, you seem really passionate about art and I don't want you to lose that. Keep on it! <3

Aww that’s so nice of you! I just hope things go to plan...
Thank you so much :smile:
Reply 15
Original post by ShyB
Out of curiosity, how many marks do you think you got for a grade 7?

Wow, I actually have no idea! I can’t even remember how I thought I'd done on each paper.. I feel as if it won’t be enough for the grade 7 though.
Reply 16
Original post by barror1
I mean how comfortable to you feel about taking RS/Philosophy?
A-levels can be hysterically difficult and can be made even worse if you are not passionate about the subjects. Keep that in mind when making your decisions :smile:

I was actually okay at the essay subjects and could craft my writing quite well in my own time. But when it came to the exams this always fell apart, perhaps because I need a LOT of time to think about what I’m writing.

GCSE RE was really pressed for time but I did know what I was doing. I enjoyed the subject to some extent but probably not enough to take it further! Also it probably doesn’t open any more doors for me...

That being said, I suppose it’s mostly up to the results to decide. If I’m advised away from art then I’ll probably pick philosophy :smile:
Original post by YatoSan

By the way, are you sure you wouldn't want to study Japanese or something? I think you'd love it. :rambo:
Reply 18
Original post by Quick-use
By the way, are you sure you wouldn't want to study Japanese or something? I think you'd love it. :rambo:

Yep, I started A level Japanese at the start of summer!
Original post by YatoSan
Yep, I started A level Japanese at the start of summer!

I meant the university degree.

Quick Reply

Latest