The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by angelinahx
y'all conquered like 90% of the world and think you're special when nobody in europe cares about u, ur like europe's (if you're even part of europe, i don't consider you to be) equivalent of americans

"i dont consider you to be" - doesnt make the UK not a part of Europe itself lmao
y'all conquered like 90% of the world and think you're special when nobody in europe cares about u, ur like europe's (if you're even part of europe, i don't consider you to be) equivalent of americans

Would you like some salt and vinegar to go with that chip?
Original post by ColinDent
Would you like some salt and vinegar to go with that chip?

fries*
Original post by BlueIndigoViolet
"i dont consider you to be" - doesnt make the UK not a part of Europe itself lmao

geographically sure. politically? nope. socially? nope. culturally? y'all can't even count to three in french. europeans speak two languages, yall dont
Never heard that being said personally. However, if it has been said, I'd assume it'd be due to the British Empire's long history with colonization and the map @BlueIndigoViolet showing the areas of the world that were ever part of the British Empire is telling.

Also, I heard that in Ireland Anglophobia possibly is somewhat rooted within Irish nationalism, which was especially catalyzed after the start of the twentieth century after the Celtic Revival movement.
(edited 4 years ago)
geographically sure. politically? nope. socially? nope. culturally? y'all can't even count to three in french.

yeah i meant geographically, as it usually taken to mean :smile:
Original post by BlueIndigoViolet
yeah i meant geographically :smile:

you're not a cultural + social part of europe. you voted out, so get out.
fries*

Nah they're too skinny.
you're not a cultural + social part of europe. you voted out, so get out.

We would love to get out of the EU, which country do you hail from by the way?
you're not a cultural + social part of europe. you voted out, so get out

I'm sorry I'm not the prime minister to decide that :tongue:
Original post by Onde
Even when the UK leaves the EU, the most commonly spoken language as a first or second-language will be English.

Yes, that explains one of the biggest reasons for France's disliking of us.
Original post by Onde
Even when the UK leaves the EU, the most commonly spoken language as a first or second-language will be English.

this kind of level of entitlement and miseducation is literally why i can't stand the english
this kind of level of entitlement and miseducation is literally why i can't stand the english

And how is that statement either one of entitlement or miseducation exactly?
Original post by Onde
I was merely responding to your claim that "you're not a cultural + social part of europe. you voted out, so get out. "

The UK is a net exporter of literature and music. More than half of the top 20 songs in the Swedish charts are in English.

No, Sweden is the third largest music exporter in the entire world. That's not even per capita.
German philosophy.
Russian literature.
Also, doesn't that say something? Half????? We're a small country with a population of 9 million? And half our top songs are in Swedish?
America is a much bigger exporter of literature and music than you are. People have largely forgotten y'alls significance in the world and this will simply be reinforced through Brexit
No, Sweden is the third largest music exporter in the entire world. That's not even per capita.
German philosophy.
Russian literature.
Also, doesn't that say something? Half????? We're a small country with a population of 9 million? And half our top songs are in Swedish?
America is a much bigger exporter of literature and music than you are. People have largely forgotten y'alls significance in the world and this will simply be reinforced through Brexit

Ooh that's not just a chip it's a whole portion! lol
Original post by ColinDent
And how is that statement either one of entitlement or miseducation exactly?

1. Entitlement = expecting everybody else to speak English. English people regularly go on holiday to Spain and Budapest without bother learning a couple of polite phrases and speak no other languages than English and they give zero ****s. Your colonial entitled mindset still characterizes your way of perceiving the world. What that guy said merely reflected that.
2. Miseducation = people may speak a few phrases in English, but unless you're Scandinavian/Dutch, it may not be more than a few phrases. The best spoken language within the EU is French/German.

also, this is not all british people? you're welsh, that's cool. you're irish, great. you're scottish, wonderful? you english mate? boo.
Think of how many knobheads you know. Then think of how many of them are English.
Reply 37

Have you met any English people? I think you'll find that many English don't think like that. A lot of English are ashamed of their country. You'll find a lot of that here on this website. You'll get English people saying England has too many problems. I don't think Sweden in general is Anglophobic. Not that I know of anyway. I've never seen any other Anti-English sentiment from your country.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 38
Original post by Onde
I don't expect everyone to speak English. I think negatively of empires, whether British, Swedish, or any other.

So why only the English get the short straw and the Scots and the Welsh don't?
Original post by Onde
I don't doubt that Sweden is a large exporter of music. I also don't see why you think I don't see the culture of other countries as valuable...it was you who went down that path. I was merely replying to your claim regarding "you're not a cultural + social part of europe. you voted out, so get out. "

Personally, I voted Remain, as I want to be part of the EU. But I cannot understand why you would be hostile towards a country on the grounds you gave.

Again:
"The five most spoken languages in the EU are English (51%), German (32%), French (26%), Italian (16%) and Spanish (15%). At 18% of the total number of speakers, German is the most widely spoken native language, followed by Italian, English, French and Spanish."
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Languages_of_the_European_Union

Even if the UK leaves the EU, the lingua franca will still be English for the foreseeable future.

I'm really, sorry, but you're not part of Europe. Your government is currently doing everything to not be part of our financial nor political system and culturally, you're unique. That may be a good thing, if you want that! But you're not socially European and nobody considers you that way, not even yourself. https://www.businessinsider.com/british-dont-think-they-are-european-2016-4?r=US&IR=T

Define spoken? Spoken at a native level? Conversationally fluent? B1?
The primary languages spoken well are French and German and the only reason English maintains significance is because you colonized and raped 90% of the planet. That's not something to be proud of - but then again, maybe it is, if you're British.

Latest

Trending

Trending