The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by angelinahx
y'all conquered like 90% of the world and think you're special when nobody in europe cares about u, ur like europe's (if you're even part of europe, i don't consider you to be) equivalent of americans

Also you do know that the Scots and the Welsh took part in the British Empire aswell? Many of the generals were Scottish. So why just give England the short straw?
Original post by anime198
Also you do know that the Scots and the Welsh took part in the British Empire aswell? Many of the generals were Scottish. So why just give England the short straw?

STOP PITTING THE BRITISH AGAINST EACH OTHER

the scots are TOLERANT
the irish are FUN
the english
the welsh are MULTILINGUAL
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 42
STOP PITTING THE BRITISH AGAINST EACH OTHER

the scots are TOLERANT
the irish are FUN
the english
the welsh are MULTILINGUAL

Answer my question properly. It was called the British Empire. There wasn't an English Empire. Explain to me why you want to single England out like that.
Original post by BlueIndigoViolet
Some definitely stems from this maybe

So proud.
Answer my question properly. It was called the British Empire. There wasn't an English Empire. Explain to me why you want to single England out like that.

Because it has nothing to do with the British empire and everything to do with the lack of your tolerance of other cultures today and your continual conservative atmosphere and policies which are driving businesses and people away from your country.
Reply 45
Because it has nothing to do with the British empire and everything to do with the lack of your tolerance of other cultures today and your continual conservative atmosphere and policies which are driving businesses and people away from your country.

You just said earlier on "Y'all conquered 90% of the world". So you have just completely contradicted yourself. Hypocrisy aswell. I never viewed Sweden as an Anti English country at all but with comments like yours, I really don't know what is the actual truth in your country. Whether you are all actually Anglophobes and do a brilliant job of hiding it. I've never seen any real hatred of us coming from your country. It's never been rumoured or reported.
(edited 4 years ago)
You just said earlier on "Y'all conquered 90% of the world". So you have just completely contradicted yourself. Hypocrisy aswell. I never viewed Sweden as an Anti English country at all but with comments like yours, I really don't know what is the actual truth in your country. Whether you are all actually Anglophobes and do a brilliant job of hiding it.

I don't think that the vast majority of Swedes do feel that way about we English, just a few erm, special ones.
Success breeds jealousy
You just said earlier on "Y'all conquered 90% of the world". So you have just completely contradicted yourself. Hypocrisy aswell. I never viewed Sweden as an Anti English country at all but with comments like yours, I really don't know what is the actual truth in your country. Whether you are all actually Anglophobes and do a brilliant job of hiding it. I've never seen any real hatred of us coming from your country. It's never been rumoured or reported.

if you had conquered the world and left your colonialist attitudes in the past, cool. that's what the scottish did. that's not what the english did and that's why the windrush scandal happened. you've literally never been to sweden, british people don't travel much
Reply 49
Original post by awkwardshortguy
Think of how many knobheads you know. Then think of how many of them are English.

English football fans are extremely arrogant and behave appallingly. They don't represent all of us though. English rugby fans are the opposite. They respect everyone else and don't go looking for a fight.
English football fans are extremely arrogant and behave appallingly. They don't represent all of us though. English rugby fans are the opposite. They respect everyone else and don't go looking for a fight.

Yes but to be fair Sweden has it's fair share of hooligans, as do the majority of European countries.
Reply 51
if you had conquered the world and left your colonialist attitudes in the past, cool. that's what the scottish did. that's not what the english did and that's why the windrush scandal happened. you've literally never been to sweden, british people don't travel much

I have actually. I have family in Denmark and have been to Sweden many times. And Norway. Never once saw any Anti-English sentiment. Like I said, from the way you're saying things, it sounds like you cover it all up. Which does not sound like Swedish people at all. I always thought you were civilised and did not like to make enemies.
I have actually. I have family in Denmark and have been to Sweden many times. And Norway. Never once saw any Anti-English sentiment. Like I said, from the way you're saying things, it sounds like you cover it all up. Which does not sound like Swedish people at all. I always thought you were civilised and did not like to make enemies.

that's because, we are, sadly, a lot like y'all
we don't say sh*t bc like u, we don't like confrontation
having that said, we're not cool with colonialist racists
Where's the evidence we fought Norway, Sweden and Denmark? Excluding the Vikings. In more recent centuries, when was the last time we fought all those countries?

The Battle of Copenhagen in 1801 is an example
Reply 54
that's because, we are, sadly, a lot like y'all
we don't say sh*t bc like u, we don't like confrontation
having that said, we're not cool with colonialist racists

Well I always hear things about other countries but never Sweden. The president of Norway even once considered English people to be not foreigners but crazy Norwegians. And even though we voted Brexit ( I didn't because I support the EU) Sweden didn't suddenly start openly hating us for it. With other countries, at least we've been aware that they don't like us. You lot are more open. So what is the actual perspective then? You hate us then. Okay. I'm shocked to hear that because I didn't think you were hateful people.
Original post by Onde
I was born in England and am only especially fluent at English, but I do not consider myself English. I consider myself British.

One of my parents is English, the other Welsh. Most Welsh people cannot speak Welsh, although my dad was taught it. Welsh people my age are no more bilingual or trilingual than English people my age who learnt more than one language at school as part of the curriculum.

i was taking the complete piss but go off sis!
Well I always hear things about other countries but never Sweden. The president of Norway even once considered English people to be not foreigners but crazy Norwegians. And even though we voted Brexit ( I didn't because I support the EU) Sweden didn't suddenly start openly hating us for it. With other countries, at least we've been aware that they don't like us. You lot are more open. So what is the actual perspective then? You hate us then. Okay. I'm shocked to hear that because I didn't think you were hateful people.

We don't particularly like conservative ex-colonialists. Most Swedish people are pretty left-leaning and tend to be scared of the emerging threat of the far-right. You don't necessarily embody that but we tend to see Brexit as thoroughly idiotic (as in, Trump-level idiotic) and we tend to see it as a rejection of immigration, which we found peculiar as we thought of you as a generally tolerant folk (like us). We look at you like we look at America.
Original post by Onde
I'd prefer it if there weren't any boundaries.

Isn't culture always what makes something unique?

I did not vote for my government.

I consider myself European, so it is not true that nobody considers me that way. The definition of an European country is strictly a state that is in the EU.

You are certainly correct that English is widely spread in large part due to the historic British Empire. I do not dispute that. Again, I was merely taking issue with your claim that English is not culturally a part of Europe. I did not colonize or rape anyone, and undoubtedly, neither did you. I won't imply that you are proud of Sweden's past history of colonising and raping, because obviously that would be ridiculous.

Wish more British people felt the way you do. Sadly, they don't.
I've never experienced xenophobia in the UK because I'm Swedish and y'all think we're friends but you'll tear down hard-working Romanians in the next breath.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 58
We don't particularly like conservative ex-colonialists. Most Swedish people are pretty left-leaning and tend to be scared of the emerging threat of the far-right. You don't necessarily embody that but we tend to see Brexit as thoroughly idiotic (as in, Trump-level idiotic) and we tend to see it as a rejection of immigration, which we found peculiar as we thought of you as a generally tolerant folk (like us). We look at you like we look at America.

Well you said earlier on that you hate the English. If it's to do with Brexit then okay. But if it's because you just hate the way we are and your country hates us for colonialism then I'm just surprised because as far as I know, we never conquered you and made you part of the British Empire. Norway was once part of the Danish Empire but they don't still hate the Danish. I've just never come across such strong hatred for us from Sweden so I was taken aback by your comment.
Well you said earlier on that you hate the English. If it's to do with Brexit then okay. But if it's because you just hate the way we are and your country hates us for colonialism then I'm just surprised because as far as I know, we never conquered you and made you part of the British Empire. Norway was once part of the Danish Empire but they don't still hate the Danish. I've just never come across such strong hatred for us from Sweden so I was taken aback by your comment.

Nobody hates the UK lol. We consider you stupid for Brexit and we don't like your colonial past but nobody seriously hates the English. I was mostly taking the piss - but having that said, there are a lot of things about the UK I still don't like - your weather, your excessive apologizing, and your government. Do the English hate the Swedes?

Latest

Trending

Trending