leobarry
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hi
So to go to my uni I need grade 6 in gcse maths but I only have 4. I need to tell the uni I didn’t meet it, I don’t know what to say. I exceeded my other requirements so is there any chance they will accept me.
Lemur14
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by leobarry)
Hi
So to go to my uni I need grade 6 in gcse maths but I only have 4. I need to tell the uni I didn’t meet it, I don’t know what to say. I exceeded my other requirements so is there any chance they will accept me.
I would phone them up and ask them how they want evidence of your GCSE result (since a lot of unis will have a system for receiving them). You can mention you didn't achieve the result you needed and ask if there's any chance of you being accepted regardless. Typically unis have quite solid GCSE requirements because they believe that you will not do well with the course if you don't have that grade, but if they've still got plenty of spaces left it's possible they might consider it if your other grades suggest you'll do well.
leobarry
Rep:
?
(Original post by Lemur14)
I would phone them up and ask them how they want evidence of your GCSE result (since a lot of unis will have a system for receiving them). You can mention you didn't achieve the result you needed and ask if there's any chance of you being accepted regardless. Typically unis have quite solid GCSE requirements because they believe that you will not do well with the course if you don't have that grade, but if they've still got plenty of spaces left it's possible they might consider it if your other grades suggest you'll do well.
Thank you for quick reply
It’s for a foundation course but computer science which is why I’m scared to even talk to them. In my btec requirements I went up by 2 grades so can mention that when I talk to them, hopefully they let me in coz I really I can pass the foundation year.
Lemur14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Thank you for quick reply
It’s for a foundation course but computer science which is why I’m scared to even talk to them. In my btec requirements I went up by 2 grades so can mention that when I talk to them, hopefully they let me in coz I really I can pass the foundation year.
If you don't talk to them then they'll most likely reject you straight out, if you want this then you need to get your result to them and talk about it because GCSE requirements are often solid so if you don't communicate with them there's very little chance of them being flexible
swanseajack1
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
It is highly likely you will be rejected. Kent accept grade 4 for Computer science. Try them to see if they still have vacancies.
leobarry
Rep:
?
(Original post by swanseajack1)
It is highly likely you will be rejected. Kent accept grade 4 for Computer science. Try them to see if they still have vacancies.
What about Reading
leobarry
Rep:
?
(Original post by Lemur14)
If you don't talk to them then they'll most likely reject you straight out, if you want this then you need to get your result to them and talk about it because GCSE requirements are often solid so if you don't communicate with them there's very little chance of them being flexible
I called them, I’ll need to send them some info and they make a decision, is there anything I can say In my email that will convince them a little.
swanseajack1
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
They want grade B Maths which you dont have.
Lemur14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I called them, I’ll need to send them some info and they make a decision, is there anything I can say In my email that will convince them a little.
tbh they'll probably have a decision they have to make either way, but you could point out your over achievement in other areas and how you really want to do the course, it might help if they've got spaces :dontknow:
Admit-One
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
There's really nothing you can add, they'll just be looking at your results in Maths or related subjects and will make a decision based on those.
swanseajack1
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
CS is a very Maths based subject and a 4 in Maths doesnt suggest the level of Maths required to complete the course hence universities require higher passes in Maths or often an A in A level Maths. Universities tend to stick to their GCSE requirements but if they still have places and want to fill them who knows.
Liverpool John Moores
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hi
Hi leobarry

Congrats on exceeding the other requirements! :party:

If you haven't sent the email yet you may want to include any experience you have in the subject area. You could also direct their attention to any other maths-related qualifications you have at a higher level? They may take all of this information into account when making their decision.

Best of luck!

Zoe
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Would you turn to a teacher if you were being bullied?

Yes (22)
24.72%
No (67)
75.28%

Watched Threads