The Student Room Group

Investment banking and a levels

Would investment banks care if I graduate from Warwick with a good grade in management with finance...I.e a 2:1 or above but have poor a level results???

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Sankalp.2000
Would investment banks care if I graduate from Warwick with a good grade in management with finance...I.e a 2:1 or above but have poor a level results???

When you graduate no one will care about your A level results ever again. Ask graduates that you know!
Original post by mgi
When you graduate no one will care about your A level results ever again. Ask graduates that you know!

I've heard this alot but as I've looked investment banking I've seen people mentioning that for FO roles and graduate schemes and things that firms often require a minimum number of ucas points???
How did you get into wbs with poor alevels?
Original post by chieula2301
How did you get into wbs with poor alevels?

Foundation
so long as you pass the minimum threshold
Original post by gr8wizard10
so long as you pass the minimum threshold

What typically is this threshold
What typically is this threshold

AAB-BBB depending on the firm
Original post by Princepieman
AAB-BBB depending on the firm

How would these firms look at a resit
I've taken part in a couple stock and investment challenges at my local uni and thoroughly enjoyed them with a passion and have always had a natural aptitude towards business and economics. They always say do something u enjoy for work and this sort of area is where I see enjoyment. Btw sorry but I can barely read the graph
Reply 10
I've heard this alot but as I've looked investment banking I've seen people mentioning that for FO roles and graduate schemes and things that firms often require a minimum number of ucas points???

When you graduate with a first or a 2.1? Not very likely! Most firms will see the sense in employing this type of graduate who has excellent references from his/ her uni.
Reply 11
Yes. Your A levels will be out of date by the time you graduate from uni! Who would seriously care what your A level grades were in chemistry if you graduate with a 2.1 chemistry degree? or you graduated in dentistry or medicine and a range of many subjects?
Original post by mgi
Yes. Your A levels will be out of date by the time you graduate from uni! Who would seriously care what your A level grades were in chemistry if you graduate with a 2.1 chemistry degree? or you graduated in dentistry or medicine and a range of many subjects?

Investment banks require a minimum A-level grade threshold to get springs, internships, grad jobs etc so yeah they do care- once you've broken into banking then yeah they won't care
Original post by randyorton
Investment banks require a minimum A-level grade threshold to get springs, internships, grad jobs etc so yeah they do care- once you've broken into banking then yeah they won't care

So would u advise on resitting whilst I explore my options and improve my grades by actually revising or just going to my foundation at Warwick and completing my bsc in management
(edited 3 years ago)
I've taken part in a couple stock and investment challenges at my local uni and thoroughly enjoyed them with a passion and have always had a natural aptitude towards business and economics. They always say do something u enjoy for work and this sort of area is where I see enjoyment. Btw sorry but I can barely read the graph

you know banking has nothing to do with stock pitching or investing right? as a stepping stone it could help lead to that stuff but sellside research or buyside research at an AM would be far better first bets.
you know banking has nothing to do with stock pitching or investing right? as a stepping stone it could help lead to that stuff but sellside research or buyside research at an AM would be far better first bets.

Ye I heard that I'd have to go into banking to use it as a pathway into stocks and investment ???

Also would u reccomend maybe resitting to improve grades and find a suitable career path or go along with my Warwick foundation into a management bsc
Also would u reccomend maybe resitting to improve grades and find a suitable career path or go along with my Warwick foundation into a management bsc

Could you not resit and do the foundation simultaneously?
Reply 18

No. Don't ever resit your Alevels! a waste of time. Start yiur fiyndatiin degree and graduste in 4 years time. By then no one will care about your Alevels. Degrees are a higher qualification obviously.
Reply 19
Thats another possible scenario; not sure about the usefulness of resitting A -levels though

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending