The Student Room Group

How do you take an extra A-Level?

Our school only offers a maximum of three A-Levels , they also do not seem to be offering EPQs.
I want to be a more competitive applicant by taking an extra A-level due to my extra curricular's not being the strongest (I never done anything in secondary school literally nothing I dropped out of Duke of Edinburgh halfway without informing teachers because I was not bothered - working to change this horrid attitude of mine).

Where do you apply and get started?
Any tips and is taking an extra A-level helpful.

I think I can take the workload.
Im taking medicine which is a very competitive course I've heard to my knowledge most people take 4 a-levels I could be mistaken.
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by OptimisticMedic
Our school only offers a maximum of three A-Levels , they also do not seem to be offering EPQs.
I want to be a more competitive applicant by taking an extra A-level due to my extra curricular's not being the strongest (I never done anything in secondary school literally nothing I dropped out of Duke of Edinburgh halfway without informing teachers because I was not bothered - working to change this horrid attitude of mine).

Im taking medicine which is a very competitive course I've heard to my knowledge most people take 4 a-levels I could be mistaken.

Hi, If you're looking to do medicine, we often find that our students take 4 A levels. It is possible to study an additional A level through online distance learning with the National Extension College (NEC). Our courses are flexible so you can study alongside your physical schooling. For more information, visit our website https://www.nec.ac.uk/, message me on TSR, email [email protected] or call us on 0800 389 2839.

Best wishes,
Charlotte
Original post by National Extension College
Hi, If you're looking to do medicine, we often find that our students take 4 A levels. It is possible to study an additional A level through online distance learning with the National Extension College (NEC). Our courses are flexible so you can study alongside your physical schooling. For more information, visit our website https://www.nec.ac.uk/, message me on TSR, email [email protected] or call us on 0800 389 2839.

Best wishes,
Charlotte

Thanks so it is true having 4 A-Levels despite not being a must is advantageous.
Thanks so it is true having 4 A-Levels despite not being a must is advantageous.

I’m sorry what does this mean?
Original post by National Extension College

Best wishes,
Charlotte

Where do you take the exam is it online exams?
Where do you take the exam is it online exams?

No, we have partnership exam centres across the UK where we can guarantee you a placement. A lot of our students find this to be a useful component of studying with NEC as it takes the stress out of booking the exams.

Best wishes,
Charlotte

I don't think someone with 4 A levels is better than someone with 3 A levels. You want to have 3 very good A levels rather than 4 okay/bad A levels. If you talking about Medicine or Oxbridge, many people got in with only 3 A levels. You still have time to fit in your extra curricular activities before you apply to universities. Also, it might be better if you show them that you are able to balance both Academic and Extracurricular activities, rather having 4 A levels.
Original post by Miracle989
I don't think someone with 4 A levels is better than someone with 3 A levels. You want to have 3 very good A levels rather than 4 okay/bad A levels. If you talking about Medicine or Oxbridge, many people got in with only 3 A levels. You still have time to fit in your extra curricular activities before you apply to universities. Also, it might be better if you show them that you are able to balance both Academic and Extracurricular activities, rather having 4 A levels.

I guess you are correct.
I am a very academic person and I fear that my extra curriculars wont be good enough.
I heard people do hospital placements and the such or work at gps/carehomes.
I am at loss how they done this do you have tips?

I wouldnt have been able to afford it anyway 700 pounds for 1 a level was out of the question.
A*AA>AABB

Focus on 3, no one should really do 4 FULL A-Levels unless the fourth is further maths. I’m pretty sure med doesn’t give a sh*t about further maths though so no point doing 4.
I guess you are correct.
I am a very academic person and I fear that my extra curriculars wont be good enough.
I heard people do hospital placements and the such or work at gps/carehomes.
I am at loss how they done this do you have tips?

You can contact your local hospital volunteering team or work experience team, local residential home care, your GP. I would just write them each an email and explain why you want to volunteer or want to work there etc.

Taking 4 A-Levels won't give you much of an advantage, if at all. They only look at your 3 highest grades and ignore the 4th since many schools don't offer 4 A-Levels and so it would give an unfair advantage to students who come from better-funded or better-staffed schools. I would advise against it, it won't make you a more competitive applicant and is more likely to hinder your other grades than increase your likelihood of being accepted. In fact one girl I knew at school got almost all A*s at GCSE and then missed her medicine entry by 1 grade, partially because she took 4 A-Levels and the workload started to get overwhelming. Definitely think about whether it's actually worth all the extra time and effort!
Original post by umbrellala
Taking 4 A-Levels won't give you much of an advantage, if at all. They only look at your 3 highest grades and ignore the 4th since many schools don't offer 4 A-Levels and so it would give an unfair advantage to students who come from better-funded or better-staffed schools. I would advise against it, it won't make you a more competitive applicant and is more likely to hinder your other grades than increase your likelihood of being accepted. In fact one girl I knew at school got almost all A*s at GCSE and then missed her medicine entry by 1 grade, partially because she took 4 A-Levels and the workload started to get overwhelming. Definitely think about whether it's actually worth all the extra time and effort!

** This is according to Nottingham university, I went to their Medlink programme in 2016 and at that time they told us that UK unis don't take a 4th A-Level into consideration
Original post by umbrellala

Oh well this changes everything. Thank you very much.
You can contact your local hospital volunteering team or work experience team, local residential home care, your GP. I would just write them each an email and explain why you want to volunteer or want to work there etc.

Thank you very much.

Quick Reply

Latest