The Student Room Group

GCSEs required to study law at Russell group uni

Hey so I wanted to go to a russell group uni in the future for law but I'm worried they might not like my GCSE results I got back today. I've chosen HL English lit, French and history and SL maths, physics and geography for IB. Today I got a D in computing, 5 in maths, 4-5 in science, 6s in geog and english lan, 7s in English lit, french, spanish and an 8 in history. I've got the necessary grades for my IB options next year but I'm honestly pretty gutted with the results. I was predicted 7 in maths, geog and english lang and 6-5 in science so I'm considering getting a remark as my results today were literally lower than my mocks. Any advice on weather I can still get into a russell group uni or if it's out of the question with these results as I've heard places like Durham/ Exeter/ Warwick require 7 GCSEs from A*-B or the equivalent which I don't have. Any advice would be appreciated.
Hi!
A remark is usually worth it, but be aware that results can go down, too. If you are really unhappy with them, you can resit.
With uni admissions, they use indicators to see whether you're likely to succeed. GCSE results are by no means definitive, although they will want you to have passed English and maths. The best way to up your chances of getting into a course is to do dedicate yourself to it outside of class, so maybe do some work experience at a law firm. I know GCSEs feel like the end of everything but honestly nobody will ever ask you for them again - they're just a pass to the next stage. Nail your IB, and you're good to go! Be proud of yourself for getting through GCSEs, too!
Good luck!
Original post by ohlookitstasha
Hi!
A remark is usually worth it, but be aware that results can go down, too. If you are really unhappy with them, you can resit.
With uni admissions, they use indicators to see whether you're likely to succeed. GCSE results are by no means definitive, although they will want you to have passed English and maths. The best way to up your chances of getting into a course is to do dedicate yourself to it outside of class, so maybe do some work experience at a law firm. I know GCSEs feel like the end of everything but honestly nobody will ever ask you for them again - they're just a pass to the next stage. Nail your IB, and you're good to go! Be proud of yourself for getting through GCSEs, too!
Good luck!

Thanks very much! So would you say a 5 at maths and science won't matter for law at a top university? I'm actually planning on doing work experience at Clyde and co so would this be a good work experience to put on my uni application?
I think some require a 6 in Maths/English. I’m pretty sure UCL does for example.
I'm really sorry I don't know the new grading system well enough, but I know that the standard for lettering is C and above. For law, they'll be more worried about your communications skills, so English/history, because law is about clearly articulating an argument. Any work experience at a law firm is great! Keep going back and show different areas of interest, like family law, criminal law, solicitors etc.
Original post by ohlookitstasha
I'm really sorry I don't know the new grading system well enough, but I know that the standard for lettering is C and above. For law, they'll be more worried about your communications skills, so English/history, because law is about clearly articulating an argument. Any work experience at a law firm is great! Keep going back and show different areas of interest, like family law, criminal law, solicitors etc.

Thanks. I've been looking a lot at corporate law recently. I'm not sure if I'd need anything for that more than other areas of law. So a 4 is equivalent to a low C and is a pass. A 5 is equivalent to a high C or a low B in the old system.
I think those results are fine - the A level predictions carry far more weight and if you write a really solid personal statement then that'll boost your chances too. For my GCSEs I got AABC in English, Media Studies, Science and Maths respectively with AAA prediction.

I got offers from Durham, Bristol, Nottingham, York and Lancaster
Original post by sly_southafrican
I think those results are fine - the A level predictions carry far more weight and if you write a really solid personal statement then that'll boost your chances too. For my GCSEs I got AABC in English, Media Studies, Science and Maths respectively with AAA prediction.

I got offers from Durham, Bristol, Nottingham, York and Lancaster

Nice. Those are all unis that I'd like to go to. What work experience have you done out of interest?
Original post by therealFelixS
Hey so I wanted to go to a russell group uni in the future for law but I'm worried they might not like my GCSE results I got back today. I've chosen HL English lit, French and history and SL maths, physics and geography for IB. Today I got a D in computing, 5 in maths, 4-5 in science, 6s in geog and english lan, 7s in English lit, french, spanish and an 8 in history. I've got the necessary grades for my IB options next year but I'm honestly pretty gutted with the results. I was predicted 7 in maths, geog and english lang and 6-5 in science so I'm considering getting a remark as my results today were literally lower than my mocks. Any advice on weather I can still get into a russell group uni or if it's out of the question with these results as I've heard places like Durham/ Exeter/ Warwick require 7 GCSEs from A*-B or the equivalent which I don't have. Any advice would be appreciated.

Talk to your school about getting remarks in any where you are close to the boundary but your grades aren't bad and certainly they are good enough to get you into most unis. It's easy enough to check unis gcse grade requirements on their websites and where it's not clear, just phone or email their Admissions and ask.

For example, Warwick uni do not have any specific GCSE requirements for Law, this is their general requirement to do a degree there:

"All applicants must possess a minimum level of competence in the English Language and in Mathematics/Science. A pass at Grade C or above, or Grade 4 or above in GCSE English Language and in Mathematics or a Science, or an equivalent qualification, satisfies this University requirement.

For courses where the requirements are above this University minimum please check the course-specific entry requirements on the Language Requirements page. A pass at Grade B or above, or Grade 6 or above may be asked for, or a pass at Grade A or above, or Grade 7 or above may be required"

For assessment of an application an A*, Grade 8 or Grade 9 are treated equally.
Your level 3 qualification will carry much more weight than your GCSE's so I wouldn't worry about it too much.

Though I know most want at least a B/C in English.
Original post by Sinnoh
None. see here.
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6033950

Very easy to get into uni for most courses.

GCSEs are looked at. If you're applying to a competitive place, and your GCSEs are ****e, then there's a good chance you won't get a place because of the ****e GCSEs.
Original post by Notoriety
GCSEs are looked at. If you're applying to a competitive place, and your GCSEs are ****e, then there's a good chance you won't get a place because of the ****e GCSEs.

So would you consider my results ****e?

If I'm not mistaken UCL actually requires a foreign language GCSE at B minimum and there's some short course one must complete before the official law course starts if you don't have it.

From what I hear them and LSE take GCSE grades much more seriously.
Nice. Those are all unis that I'd like to go to. What work experience have you done out of interest?

Oh, loads:biggrin: Was very eager to try out as many different areas as possible too.
- Criminal firm for a week
- Commercial for a week
- Corporate/commercial Taster Workshop
- Bailiff for a uni moot court competition abroad
Reply 14
Original post by sly_southafrican
If I'm not mistaken UCL actually requires a foreign language GCSE at B minimum and there's some short course one must complete before the official law course starts if you don't have it.

From what I hear them and LSE take GCSE grades much more seriously.

That's with all courses, and it's just that if you don't have it you do some language classes at the start.

yeah mb, I kind of rushed in
Reply 15
I may add in a section about law. It was intended for the things that were asked most commonly last year.

Good morning!

I can only speak for Exeter but for 2020 entry provided you have passes in your core GCSE subjects (English Language and Maths) then it should not count against you. For LLB Law our typical offer focuses on A level (or equivalent) predicted grades so provided you meet our institutions general GCSE minimum requirements you should be ok. For our LLB Law with European Study you are also required to have a language at AS or above but there is no change in the GCSE requirements. So do make sure you check all of the entry requirements for each course you are interested in.
Technically I cannot promise this will be the case in a years’ time for 2021 entry as this is not yet published but if you check they typical offer on our website when you are applying that will give you the most up to date information. I hope this helps. If you are still worried about what other universities might say have a look at their admissions and course webpages or drop them an email. I am sure they will get back to you to confirm what the GCSE requirements are for their institution and Law programmes.

Melody

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending