The Student Room Group

mature student - top up degree finance options

Having left sixth form many years ago without any a-levels, I decided to complete an Undergraduate Certificate of Higher Education (equal to the first year undergraduate study - FHEQ Level 4) in order to help ease my route back into education and hopefully build the foundations for potential university study. Since completing my part-time course I am now completing a undergraduate diploma in English literature (stated as "FHEQ 5 offering 60 CATS and is equivalent to half of the first year of full-time undergraduate study" - I am assuming due to only being a low number of CATS it is only regarded as one half first year rather than second. Anyway having secured student finance for my Certificate ONLY yet self funded my diploma I am hoping to go on and apply for a degree in History and Modern Languages but the chance is I will have to enter university in year 1 (my previous qualifications have been taken with university's continuing education departments via distance and part-time learning, not on campus). I wanted to know whether I would be able to get student finance funding for my degree or whether I would only be able to get it from second or third year as when applying to university for a bachelor's degree I will and only ever have had held a first year undergraduate and nothing higher. If I am unable to get any standard finance funding for any of my degree at all is there any other way I can get funding cos I simply cant afford to self fund an entire degree.
Original post by JungleRun
Having left sixth form many years ago without any a-levels, I decided to complete an Undergraduate Certificate of Higher Education (equal to the first year undergraduate study - FHEQ Level 4) in order to help ease my route back into education and hopefully build the foundations for potential university study. Since completing my part-time course I am now completing a undergraduate diploma in English literature (stated as "FHEQ 5 offering 60 CATS and is equivalent to half of the first year of full-time undergraduate study" - I am assuming due to only being a low number of CATS it is only regarded as one half first year rather than second. Anyway having secured student finance for my Certificate ONLY yet self funded my diploma I am hoping to go on and apply for a degree in History and Modern Languages but the chance is I will have to enter university in year 1 (my previous qualifications have been taken with university's continuing education departments via distance and part-time learning, not on campus). I wanted to know whether I would be able to get student finance funding for my degree or whether I would only be able to get it from second or third year as when applying to university for a bachelor's degree I will and only ever have had held a first year undergraduate and nothing higher. If I am unable to get any standard finance funding for any of my degree at all is there any other way I can get funding cos I simply cant afford to self fund an entire degree.

You get funding of degree length +1.

Cert HE uses 1 year so funding changed to degree length +0.
Yes it sounds like half a one. The Eng lit diploma either reduced you to degree -1 or degree-0.5. You will need to check with sfe whether its just half a year you get deducted and you can keep half that years funding. It is irrelevant if you self funded as far as sfe are concerned.

You will get maint if means tested entitled.
You need to check with sfe whether you can get 0.5 years funding for year 1 because of the pt diploma which has shot you in the foot.
You should get funding from year 2 onwards.

Check with sfe.

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=910

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending