The Student Room Group

working whilst at college? how many hours should I do?

for anyone who works/worked whilst at college, how many hours did/do you do a week?
Original post by Harry171
for anyone who works/worked whilst at college, how many hours did/do you do a week?

I did 15 a week when I first started uni. My classes were only two days so the other three I did five hours answering phones. I worked communications for the IT department at uni. It was pretty relaxed and they actually offered me full time but I didn't think I could handle that on top of my classes and opera group.
13.5 in Tesco but I did overtime when I could to boost funds. Also they worked my shifts around my timetable at college so that was a big help and they are doing the same for me at university this year.

I’m thinking of doing that but I just don’t know wen...
I did about 18 hours a week through 6th form and college.
It all depends on how many you think you can manage.
Reply 5
Original post by Emma:-)
I did about 18 hours a week through 6th form and college.
It all depends on how many you think you can manage.

Im thinking about 16, my college have said we’re not allowed to do anymore than 8. I did like 20 last year (which was a lot but I couldn’t drive) but I think 16 this year might be okay since I can drive from college
Your college won't know.
I would personally recommend up to 14, but depends on your subjects I guess.
Reply 7
It depends on your courses and it depends on how many a level's are you doing. Maybe 2 days as the max if you're doing A levels, if you're just doing a Level 3 BTEC, then maybe 3 if you can.
Im thinking about 16, my college have said we’re not allowed to do anymore than 8. I did like 20 last year (which was a lot but I couldn’t drive) but I think 16 this year might be okay since I can drive from college

Various 6th forms/colleges recommend maximum amounts of how many hours students should do. But they cant make you.
If it was affecting your school work a lot then they may raise their concerns, but as long as you can handle it, are still doing your school/college work on time etc then you should be fine.
Reply 9
Original post by Aaryra
Your college won't know.
I would personally recommend up to 14, but depends on your subjects I guess.

Original post by Kaliwax
It depends on your courses and it depends on how many a level's are you doing. Maybe 2 days as the max if you're doing A levels, if you're just doing a Level 3 BTEC, then maybe 3 if you can.

I do physics Chem and maths but I rlly need the money (car insurances and petrol)
Reply 10
I do physics Chem and maths but I rlly need the money (car insurances and petrol)

Could you cope with the workload, as they are really tough subjects, I'd value my A level's over work to be honest. Maybe work 1 or 2 days at maximum.

Surely something like 12 hours is enough though? How much do you make ph?
Reply 12
Original post by Aaryra
Surely something like 12 hours is enough though? How much do you make ph?

about £6.50
I do 20 hrs whilst at uni. I cut down a little bit towards exams but manage just fine.
about £6.50

Ah, live in London so when I worked during sixth form I earned a bit more.

Still, 6.50 x 12 = 78 a week, x 4 = 312 a month. That seems like enough to me.
Reply 15
Original post by Aaryra
Ah, live in London so when I worked during sixth form I earned a bit more.

Still, 6.50 x 12 = 78 a week, x 4 = 312 a month. That seems like enough to me.

hate how half would go to my car but has to be done. cheers

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending