The Student Room Group

I don't believe in myself

I've been offered a job as a HCA but i'm too nervous to take it while being on firms because i don't know if i'd be capable.

I've managed to get to my final year but i still have imposter syndrome and i look at the FY1 and FY2 doctors and can't see how i can ever get on their level.

I'm too apologetic and too nice, and i don't believe in myself as much as i should.

I don't know how to work on it this :frown: Would love some advice
Reply 1
I'm a final year medic at UCL but i'm still having thoughts i don't belong here.

I have forgotten many things from pre-clinical years and a lot of anatomy i have to keep going back and covering. I still struggle with signs unless it is obvious like wheezing or clearly audible heart murmurs. I suck at presenting. I find it difficult to do do ABGs and i need to relearn how to suture.

Yet i have passed every exam on first try and am on the 5th decile for last year.

I just feel so confused.
Original post by CarolCares
I'm a final year medic at UCL but i'm still having thoughts i don't belong here.

I have forgotten many things from pre-clinical years and a lot of anatomy i have to keep going back and covering. I still struggle with signs unless it is obvious like wheezing or clearly audible heart murmurs. I suck at presenting. I find it difficult to do do ABGs and i need to relearn how to suture.

Yet i have passed every exam on first try and am on the 5th decile for last year.

I just feel so confused.

Don't worry, med school isn't the end of your learning. There's still many years to gain experience and improve your clinical skills.

You will also revisit basic sciences when you do postgrad exams.
Reply 3

I just feel so confused.

You are not expected to hold all the information from every year of medical school in your head all the time. Of course things will fall out of your head, that is 100% normal.

The problem with comparing yourself to foundation doctors is that there are lots of things you can ONLY learn by doing the job. Confidence AKA bullsh*tting is definitely one of them. You probably have more clinical knowledge than the F1s, it just doesn't feel that way. You will learn what you need to when you get there. You can't fast-track it, you can only get to the next step by doing it.

Just keep going, you are passing your exams and doing fine.
Reply 4
Original post by Democracy
Don't worry, med school isn't the end of your learning. There's still many years to gain experience and improve your clinical skills.

You will also revisit basic sciences when you do postgrad exams.

I have been offered an interview for a caring role. I just don't feel i can do it, because of confidence issues i need to get over. I know i have the ability , i just keep doubting myself. Same with driving too
Reply 5
Original post by Ghotay
You are not expected to hold all the information from every year of medical school in your head all the time. Of course things will fall out of your head, that is 100% normal.

The problem with comparing yourself to foundation doctors is that there are lots of things you can ONLY learn by doing the job. Confidence AKA bullsh*tting is definitely one of them. You probably have more clinical knowledge than the F1s, it just doesn't feel that way. You will learn what you need to when you get there. You can't fast-track it, you can only get to the next step by doing it.

Just keep going, you are passing your exams and doing fine.

it just seems like all i'm going is building some good but barely adequate clinical ability and knowledge and jumping hoops

if F1s have the same or less clinical knowledge than me, i am rly confused how they man the wards and do nights when it is just them and they don't know the key things about many conditions

:frown:

your words and democracy are v reassuring though thank u
if F1s have the same or less clinical knowledge than me, i am rly confused how they man the wards and do nights when it is just them and they don't know the key things about many conditions

You keep going until you encounter a scenario where you don't know what to do. You then call your SHO and they help out. If they don't know, they'll call the reg or tell you to. You then learn what to do for next time.

At first you may have to make lots of calls but over time that will begin to change and pretty soon you'll be the one who's getting called.
I've managed to get to my final year but i still have imposter syndrome and i look at the FY1 and FY2 doctors and can't see how i can ever get on their level.

As an FY1, I can safely say that 90% of the FY1s still think this. How am I ever going to know as much as my FY2, god knows I'll never be as clever as the med reg, blah blah blah. Thing is, everyone somehow gets there, and you've got to trust in the process.

I did the worst referral to the med reg (something at 4am along the lines of "hi sorry i'm the fy1 on surgery and my patient looks like he might die and his ecg is weird and i've done some bloods but i think this is going really bad and my reg is in theatre with someone else who might die please can you come") and got a greatix for it because they were really pleased I'd spotted it and done the right thing. It's important to remember that what you expect from yourself and what other people expect can be miles different.
I've been offered a job as a HCA but i'm too nervous to take it while being on firms because i don't know if i'd be capable.

I'm too apologetic and too nice, and i don't believe in myself as much as i should.

I don't know how to work on it this :frown: Would love some advice

Hey if it make you feel better, im just the same!! i feel like i lack a lot of common sense and just too nice to be taken seriously.

youre not alone x

Hey if it make you feel better, im just the same!! i feel like i lack a lot of common sense and just too nice to be taken seriously.

youre not alone x

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending