The Student Room Group

My GCSE Results

(edited 1 year ago)

Scroll to see replies

I can’t be too certain but I was in the same exact position last year and I talked to my school and they said it was fine so it should be fine as well
Original post by elle360
So seeing as I didn’t revise for GCSES at all (I have a procrastination problem that I can’t seem to get rid of) I got pretty much average results. I want to go to 6th form and i’m guaranteed a place there. For English Lit I got a 7 and a 5 in English Lang and to do English Lit you need a 6 in both English and Lang...do you think they could use my grade from English Lit and balance it out with my grade in English Lang so I could possibly do it? It’s a facilitating subject so I’m keen on doing it. Has anyone done this before?

Most colleges are pretty lenient with things like this so I wouldn't worry, especially since English Lit usually isn't full
Reply 3
Original post by Flashsav
I can’t be too certain but I was in the same exact position last year and I talked to my school and they said it was fine so it should be fine as well

Really?? What grades did you get?
Original post by elle360
Really?? What grades did you get?

7 in lit, 5 in Lang

Currently doing economics, computer science and psychology which all required a 6 in Lang
Reply 5
Original post by Huckipity
Most colleges are pretty lenient with things like this so I wouldn't worry, especially since English Lit usually isn't full

Okay thanks, I’ll try to talk to the head of English on induction day, I’m just wondering if it’s even possible
Reply 6
7 in lit, 5 in Lang

Currently doing economics, computer science and psychology which all required a 6 in Lang

Wow, I mean I hope they me then...They’re barely letting me do Psychology and you need a 6 in English Lit and a 5 in English Lang...I don’t get what’s wrong with them...it’s stressing me out too much.
Original post by elle360
Wow, I mean I hope they me then...They’re barely letting me do Psychology and you need a 6 in English Lit and a 5 in English Lang...I don’t get what’s wrong with them...it’s stressing me out too much.

Make sure they let you in, if not tell you parents to come Into school to talk to a headteacher
Reply 8
Original post by elle360
So seeing as I didn’t revise for GCSES at all (I have a procrastination problem that I can’t seem to get rid of) I got pretty much average results. I want to go to 6th form and i’m guaranteed a place there. For English Lit I got a 7 and a 5 in English Lang and to do English Lit you need a 6 in both English and Lang...do you think they could use my grade from English Lit and balance it out with my grade in English Lang so I could possibly do it? It’s a facilitating subject so I’m keen on doing it. Has anyone done this before?

You can make the case that in the end of year 13 you will sit a literature paper, not a language one.
Reply 9
Original post by 13rby
You can make the case that in the end of year 13 you will sit a literature paper, not a language one.

What do you mean?
Reply 10
Make sure they let you in, if not tell you parents to come Into school to talk to a headteacher

Okay, thank you.
Reply 11
Original post by elle360
What do you mean?

because you have a 7 in literature and a 5 in language you should be fine in literature because you will be sitting an Alevel in lit not in lang.
Original post by elle360

It will depend on school and how many spaces they have in Eng Lit.
Reply 13
Original post by 13rby
because you have a 7 in literature and a 5 in language you should be fine in literature because you will be sitting an Alevel in lit not in lang.

Yeah I know but to do the A Level for some reason a 6 in both Lit and Lang is required when it’s going to be literature anyways. I don’t know why they’re being so stingy...
Reply 14
Original post by Scotney
It will depend on school and how many spaces they have in Eng Lit.

Well it’s a 6th form that branches off our school so that’s why I have a guaranteed space per se and I got all the grades and the average point score to get into this 6th form and do A levels, and to my understanding a lot actually aren’t doing Eng Lit, most picked Sociology and Psychology, but Eng Lit is something I’m actually good at which I want to pursue in the future more, not Sociology or Psychology, those mean nothing to me. I guess it’s kinda my fault for not revising.
Original post by elle360
Well it’s a 6th form that branches off our school so that’s why I have a guaranteed space per se and I got all the grades and the average point score to get into this 6th form and do A levels, and to my understanding a lot actually aren’t doing Eng Lit, most picked Sociology and Psychology, but Eng Lit is something I’m actually good at which I want to pursue in the future more, not Sociology or Psychology, those mean nothing to me. I guess it’s kinda my fault for not revising.

How near were you on Language mark? The problem is schools a) have their league table place to consider so will give places to those most likely to score well at A level b) will know that those with at least a 6in English Lang are capable of doing well in Eng Lit which is a rigorous academic subject.
Reply 16
Original post by Scotney
How near were you on Language mark? The problem is schools a) have their league table place to consider so will give places to those most likely to score well at A level b) will know that those with at least a 6in English Lang are capable of doing well in Eng Lit which is a rigorous academic subject.

I’m honestly not sure, I didn’t get the mark on my results, on my results paper they only showed the mark for certain subjects for some reason and Lang wasn’t there. Is there anywhere I could find it possibly? I’m pretty sure I probably was a scrape off a 6 though because I got a 7/8 in my English Language mock last time.
Original post by elle360
I’m honestly not sure, I didn’t get the mark on my results, on my results paper they only showed the mark for certain subjects for some reason and Lang wasn’t there. Is there anywhere I could find it possibly? I’m pretty sure I probably was a scrape off a 6 though because I got a 7/8 in my English Language mock last time.

What has college actually offered you?
Original post by elle360

Contact your exams officer at school and they can give you the actual marks then you can check against the grade boundaries
Reply 19
Original post by Scotney
What has college actually offered you?

Well I’m not really going college, I intended on going to my schools 6th form as they basically handed me a place. I know the teachers there and it’ll be easier for me to learn since I have become accustomed to their teaching style, especially my English teacher.

Quick Reply

Latest