The Student Room Group

Medicine and resitting year 12

So I have always aspired to do medicine, I’ve done a lot of hospital based and other healthcare type work experience to broaden my knowledge and skills. At gcse I received all A*s and A’s and was confident that a levels were going to be okay and I’d get the job I wanted in the future...
During a levels I struggled a lot with stress, anxiety and self-confidence which affected my overall performance. I missed school, revised hardly and found it difficult controlling my emotions as I constantly felt like i couldn’t cope.
I got my AS results and I only got BBCC. I haven’t stopped crying since and I don’t know what to do next!? I know that not many universities accept resits so what do I even do now? I’m confused and stuck. Any advice??
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 1
Really? That’s made me feel a bit happier now after having such a terrible day. Do you know wether Cardiff University accept/consider year 12 resits??
Reply 2
Original post by Shan110x
Really? That’s made me feel a bit happier now after having such a terrible day. Do you know wether Cardiff University accept/consider year 12 resits??

Where are you studying? Do you still have modular A levels? If you are in England with a linear course, you can work extra hard this next year and just sit your A levels. No unis care about AS level results.
Cardiff do not accept resits
Reply 3
Original post by GANFYD
Where are you studying? Do you still have modular A levels? If you are in England with a linear course, you can work extra hard this next year and just sit your A levels. No unis care about AS level results.
Cardiff do not accept resits

I study in Wales. I was always hoping to do a foundation year in medicine because I only do maths, biology, healthcare and skills challenge. Not chemistry. If I resit year 12 I might pick it up as a subject or just carry on with the same subject but then again that is another question I need to find out; does foundation year med schools accept resits too?
Reply 4
I study in Wales. I was always hoping to do a foundation year in medicine because I only do maths, biology, healthcare and skills challenge. Not chemistry. If I resit year 12 I might pick it up as a subject or just carry on with the same subject but then again that is another question I need to find out; does foundation year med schools accept resits too?

So presumably you can resit modules of your AS with your A2 exams? This is probably your best bet and if you do not manage to pull things up then you can resit after this (nowhere discriminates between a Yr12 and Yr13 full resit)

It might be worth noting some medical schools accept just A-level Biology with another STEM subject (such as Plymouth, as I recall). You'll need to check how many, if any, of these accept resits. Also, bear in mind most medicine foundation year courses are not for "subject changers", but are widening access programmes for applicants that meet contextual criteria. Do check these carefully to see which, if any, you are eligible for.

Since you're doing modular A-levels, it might be worth resitting the individual modules before completing the qualification; I'm not sure what medical schools perspectives are on this currently, since most students are taking the linear qualifications. I believe some at least didn't seem to care so much about module resits taken within the two year time frame, but I'd recommend you contact any medical schools you plan to apply to in order to check their policies.
Reply 6
Original post by artful_lounger
It might be worth noting some medical schools accept just A-level Biology with another STEM subject (such as Plymouth, as I recall). You'll need to check how many, if any, of these accept resits. Also, bear in mind most medicine foundation year courses are not for "subject changers", but are widening access programmes for applicants that meet contextual criteria. Do check these carefully to see which, if any, you are eligible for.

Since you're doing modular A-levels, it might be worth resitting the individual modules before completing the qualification; I'm not sure what medical schools perspectives are on this currently, since most students are taking the linear qualifications. I believe some at least didn't seem to care so much about module resits taken within the two year time frame, but I'd recommend you contact any medical schools you plan to apply to in order to check their policies.

Okay, thankyou!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending