The Student Room Group

Gcse grades for Oxford/Cambridge/Edinburgh?

Hi! I want to know that what GCSE grades would I need for Oxford/Cambridge/Edinburgh?
Do gcse grades matter for these universities? If I have low or passing gcse grades not that I would but I have high a level grades would they accept me or not?
they usually expect 7s, 8s and 9s but a-levels are usually more important
Reply 2
Original post by wizkid44
they usually expect 7s, 8s and 9s but a-levels are usually more important

Oh ok but would they accept passing grades for GCSE as well or not?
Cambridge doesn't really care so much about GCSEs; while the average applicant has quite good GCSEs, this doesn't imply they are specifically looking for those - just that those who do well in GCSE also usually do well in A-level and their pre-interview assessments. They realise however that some will be "late bloomers" academically and don't mind applicants in that situation (provided they are at the time of application working at the appropriate level).

Oxford however weighs GCSEs much more heavily in general, and use them to varying levels of formality in their shortlisting process for deciding who to invite to interview. This is due to the fact their research (unlike Cambridge's) has shown it to correlate more to degree success, for whatever reason. They also invite slightly fewer applicants to interview (about 50% for most courses, compared to 60-70% at Cambridge), so need to "filter" more of them at an earlier stage.

I don't know about Edinburgh though. Do note the above is in general, and some courses may be exceptions to the rule in either putting more or less emphasis on GCSEs - maths at Oxford, for example, doesn't put as much emphasis on non-maths GCSE grades, and good performance in the MAT can outweigh poorer performance in GCSE; also in general doing well on the pre-interview assessment can ameliorate poorer GCSE grades.
Reply 4
Original post by artful_lounger
Cambridge doesn't really care so much about GCSEs; while the average applicant has quite good GCSEs, this doesn't imply they are specifically looking for those - just that those who do well in GCSE also usually do well in A-level and their pre-interview assessments. They realise however that some will be "late bloomers" academically and don't mind applicants in that situation (provided they are at the time of application working at the appropriate level).

Oxford however weighs GCSEs much more heavily in general, and use them to varying levels of formality in their shortlisting process for deciding who to invite to interview. This is due to the fact their research (unlike Cambridge's) has shown it to correlate more to degree success, for whatever reason. They also invite slightly fewer applicants to interview (about 50% for most courses, compared to 60-70% at Cambridge), so need to "filter" more of them at an earlier stage.

I don't know about Edinburgh though. Do note the above is in general, and some courses may be exceptions to the rule in either putting more or less emphasis on GCSEs - maths at Oxford, for example, doesn't put as much emphasis on non-maths GCSE grades, and good performance in the MAT can outweigh poorer performance in GCSE; also in general doing well on the pre-interview assessment can ameliorate poorer GCSE grades.

Thanks so much! So do you think Cambridge would accept the passing results for the medical course. I think I would still apply just in case.
Original post by Leader9!
Thanks so much! So do you think Cambridge would accept the passing results for the medical course. I think I would still apply just in case.

Medicine may consider them more than other courses, but I presume the BMAT results would take precedence. I would note for medicine at Oxford GCSEs are weighed very heavily for determining who to invite to interview (I believe GCSE results are 50% of the score when determining who to invite to interview there - @nexttime might know more), so you can probably rule Oxford out.

Bear in mind for Cambridge you need to take three STEM subjects (biology, chemistry, maths, physics) at A-level for medicine.
Reply 6
Original post by artful_lounger
Medicine may consider them more than other courses, but I presume the BMAT results would take precedence. I would note for medicine at Oxford GCSEs are weighed very heavily for determining who to invite to interview (I believe GCSE results are 50% of the score when determining who to invite to interview there - @nexttime might know more), so you can probably rule Oxford out.

Bear in mind for Cambridge you need to take three STEM subjects (biology, chemistry, maths, physics) at A-level for medicine.

Ok thanks so much I will look into it. By the way who is @nexttime?

Another FH more familiar with Oxford's medicine entry criteria, so I tagged them in so they can reply if needed.

There is however a lot of information on their website, for example: https://www.medsci.ox.ac.uk/study/medicine/pre-clinical/statistics

Yeah just look at the website above. From what you say it sounds highly unlikely you'd be able to get into Oxford for medicine.
I recently got invited to interview at Saint Catherine's college, Oxford. At GCSE, I got 1 A*, 4 A, 3 B and 2 C's. I was quite worried that my GCSE results would affect my chances of getting an interview, however, in subjects with an entrance exam your chance of getting an interview is far more based around said exam performance, and the written work submitted. If you look at the statistics surrounding GCSE's and Oxbridge acceptance, I think it's more correlational than causational. there's a higher chance that someone who's academic enough to get into Oxford, already had good GCSE results, because that's the kind of person they are, however, it doesn't mean that a decision Is based around GCSE results.
Reply 10
Original post by emilysteele_x
I recently got invited to interview at Saint Catherine's college, Oxford. At GCSE, I got 1 A*, 4 A, 3 B and 2 C's. I was quite worried that my GCSE results would affect my chances of getting an interview, however, in subjects with an entrance exam your chance of getting an interview is far more based around said exam performance, and the written work submitted. If you look at the statistics surrounding GCSE's and Oxbridge acceptance, I think it's more correlational than causational. there's a higher chance that someone who's academic enough to get into Oxford, already had good GCSE results, because that's the kind of person they are, however, it doesn't mean that a decision Is based around GCSE results.

Congratulations! Sorry for the late reply, however I was wondering did you apply for medicine at oxford because medicine is very competitive?!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending