The Student Room Group

Oxford medicine requirements?

So what would be the ideal number of 8/9 at gcse to get into oxford medicine. In my GCSEs I got 9999988876665, that means that only 61% of my grades is at A*, but you need like 80% apparently. Do you think my GCSEs would be a hindrance and if so, how can I combat this.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by m_j_
So what would be the ideal number of 8/9 at gcse to get into oxford medicine. In my GCSEs I got 9999988876665, that means that only 61% of my grades is at A*, but you need like 80% apparently. Do you think my GCSEs would be a hindrance and if so, how can I combat this.

it used to be 8A*s and above, with 7A*s borderline, so similar to that. although unis generally are becoming less competitive over time
Reply 2
Original post by A Rolling Stone
it used to be 8A*s and above, with 7A*s borderline, so similar to that. although unis generally are becoming less competitive over time

So 5 9s and 3 8s would be satisfactory?
Original post by m_j_

borderline tbh. worth a shot
Original post by m_j_

mind you quite a few 6s in there and even a 5... not good news tbh.
Reply 5

mind you quite a few 6s in there and even a 5... not good news tbh.

Yea I’m just gonna form the L and move on
Reply 6
Original post by m_j_

https://www.medsci.ox.ac.uk/study/medicine/pre-clinical/statistics
Look at the stats above OP and decide for yourself. Wasting even a single choice in medicine is not a good idea as you only get 4 choices and around 60% of applicants get no offers at all.
Reply 8
I got 99999999887A*, so would that be ok?
Original post by WillPhillips
I got 99999999887A*, so would that be ok?

What do you think.
I got 9998888776A. I heard that they look at 8s and 9s the same. Is that true?
Original post by keeno25
I got 9998888776A. I heard that they look at 8s and 9s the same. Is that true?

"For shortlisting purposes a grade 8 or 9 is considered equivalent to an A*"

From the site linked literally just above that you should definitely have already looked at...
Yh i looked at that. With the fact that i got 7 A*s , if i do really well in BMAT and my AS levels next year, what chance do u think i have?
Original post by keeno25
Yh i looked at that. With the fact that i got 7 A*s , if i do really well in BMAT and my AS levels next year, what chance do u think i have?

What do you think :smile:
I have no idea thats why im asking you for help. Hopefully I am able to get a tar prediction next year. Plz help me here
Original post by keeno25
I have no idea thats why im asking you for help. Hopefully I am able to get a tar prediction next year. Plz help me here

Erm, ok. So basic stats interpretation is absolutely key to the BMAT so if you can't do percentages and read a bar chart I suggest this needs significant work. Or perhaps you're just a little in denial about the stats, which is understandable.

Your A* percentage is 63 which would suggest your chances are very low as the proportion even getting an interview is a tiny sliver on the bar chart. Probably less than 1 in 20? Its a little better for the 7A*s but not much, and the offer sliver is again tiny. They do attach substantial weight to extenuating circumstances, but otherwise your chances would seem very small. It would require an amazing BMAT to overcome, and as medicine is so competitive with 60% of people failing to get a single offer, wasting one of your four choices should not be done on a whim. Its your decision.
ok so what would they look at before interviews? I can read do data interpretation so BMAT should be no problem with some hard work. do they look at my predicted grades at all? because i have my AS exams as a chance to get high and prove myself
Also in comparison to the average medical applicant not just to oxford but to all unis, do u think the 7 A*s are average or above average?
Original post by keeno25
Also in comparison to the average medical applicant not just to oxford but to all unis, do u think the 7 A*s are average or above average?

I don't have any data about that. From the 'feel' I get, I suspect that its about average. I think standards are surprisingly high.

However, how other unis treat GCSEs is very variable. Your GCSEs are good and should only be a possible problem for a couple unis - Oxford, possibly Cardiff, maybe another I don't know about. If you post in the 'Am I good enough' Megathread you will get some more detailed answers about other unis.
ok thanks

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending