The Student Room Group

Not a feminist .

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Justanotheranon6
I don’t think there’s anything wrong with chivalry ie opening a door for a woman etc.

But like, there are some instances where “chivalry” can make a woman feel uncomfortable and indebted. I personally wouldn’t let a guy pay for my meal, it would make me deeply uncomfortable. I’m looking for a partner, I don’t want to owe u anything. Some girls would prefer a guy pay, and that’s ok. But for me, it would make me uncomfortable if the guy kept insisting he pay after I refuse several times. It’s a nice sentiment to offer to pay once, but to keep insisting to pay, even when I’ve made it clear I wouldn’t be comfortable with that is just horrible.

Feminists aren’t against chivalry, we all have different opinions on it. I’m just for more choice and freedom for women.

It's okay I respect your opinion.I am also about emancipation of women .
Original post by Rumaysaa_18
It's okay I respect your opinion.I am also about emancipation of women .

I want emancipated women and men. I want freedom and happiness and rights for both. I don’t want to limit men or women in any way, I just want to give them more choice. Feminism isn’t about taking away things ie chivalry, it’s about more opportunities and lifestyles and options for both genders
Original post by Justanotheranon6
I want emancipated women and men. I want freedom and happiness and rights for both. I don’t want to limit men or women in any way, I just want to give them more choice. Feminism isn’t about taking away things ie chivalry, it’s about more opportunities and lifestyles and options for both genders

I am glad that you are about the concept of both men and women as a feminist but most feminists forget about gender equality instead they focus more on women empowerment than of men which is not equality at all.
Original post by Rumaysaa_18
I am glad that you are about the concept of both men and women as a feminist but most feminists forget about gender equality instead they focus more on women empowerment than of men which is not equality at all.

I agree with you, the majority of feminists do focus their efforts on what they can do to help women, but I don’t think that’s wrong. Just because some feminists focus on helping women, doesn’t mean they hate men. The feminists movement is about fighting sexism, and because women are the main victims of sexism, it makes sense to focus on them.

Look at it this way- charities such as help the children usually help raise money to help buy children food in underprivileged countries.

Because they are focusing their effort on children in underprivileged countries, who have it the worst and struggle the most, does it mean they hate British children? No. Does the fact that the charity only helps children in those underprivilidged countries mean they don’t think British children face problems? No.

So does feminists focusing on women mean they hate men? No. Does feminists focusing on women mean that all feminists believe that men have no problems? Of course not.
Original post by Amx.02
I am 17 . I am not a feminist . I don’t need feminism . Men and woman are not equal. I accept these differences. Why is that people cannot respect my belief. Not supporting something doesn’t automatically make me hate those who do. I know so many girls who don’t support this at college and end up being quite afraid of all the fiery , wild feminist. Why can we not just stop hating and judging people who don’t really want to agree with the majority ?
Majority never holds the authority. What is right . Has it. Speak up!

Interesting. So as a 17 year-old non-feminist you'll be looking to get married in the next year or so and being kept by your husband, looking after the home, cooking and cleaning and if course, looking after the needs of your husband? Then you will be looking forward to 20 years or so of childcare?

I mean - that is the role of women right? You don't want to bother your pretty little brain with the complexity of work or self fullfilment? Anyway, we all know that the womb rises to strangle the brain.

</humour>
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by ByEeek
Interesting. So as a 17 year-old non-feminist you'll be looking to get married in the next year or so and being kept by your husband, looking after the home, cooking and cleaning and if course, looking after the needs of your husband? Then you will be looking forward to 20 years or so of childcare?

I mean - that is the role of women right? You don't want to bother your pretty little brain with the complexity of work or self fullfilment? Anyway, we all know that the womb rises to strangle the brain.

</humour>

What wrong with getting married at 18 apart from the why the employment market is now and even a job as a cleaner experience and low grade GCSEs. A married 18 year old couple will not be able to support themselves and a child like they would been able to 1960s. This is main reason the married age has gone up and more couples in their 40s have children than people under 25 because it harder for people to get well paying jobs and housing.
Original post by Amx.02
I am 17 . I am not a feminist . I don’t need feminism . Men and woman are not equal. I accept these differences. Why is that people cannot respect my belief. Not supporting something doesn’t automatically make me hate those who do. I know so many girls who don’t support this at college and end up being quite afraid of all the fiery , wild feminist. Why can we not just stop hating and judging people who don’t really want to agree with the majority ?
Majority never holds the authority. What is right . Has it. Speak up!

Women aren't physically equal to Men but it doesn't mean they shouldn't have the same rights. That's just what I think so yeah.
Original post by looloo2134
What wrong with getting married at 18 apart from the why the employment market is now and even a job as a cleaner experience and low grade GCSEs. A married 18 year old couple will not be able to support themselves and a child like they would been able to 1960s. This is main reason the married age has gone up and more couples in their 40s have children than people under 25 because it harder for people to get well paying jobs and housing.

Getting married young is often a socially conservative lifestyle choice or a family tradition.
While the women who choose to marry in their 30s or 40s often plan not to have any children, enjoy the clubbing/partying lifestyle and establish high powered careers during their 20s - early 30s.

My grandmothers both got married as teenagers, neither ever had paid employment or studied at university.
Most of the people I know who got married at 18 were socially conservative and from religious traditionalist backgrounds.
They did not go to university and came from families where there was a tradition of marrying young that went back several generations.
Define "feminist".
Original post by londonmyst
Getting married young is often a socially conservative lifestyle choice or a family tradition.
While the women who choose to marry in their 30s or 40s often plan not to have any children, enjoy the clubbing/partying lifestyle and establish high powered careers during their 20s - early 30s.

My grandmothers both got married as teenagers, neither ever had paid employment or studied at university.
Most of the people I know who got married at 18 were socially conservative and from religious traditionalist backgrounds.
They did not go to university and came from families where there was a tradition of marrying young that went back several generations.

Now day society look down at people who don't want a high powered career and just want to have children after leaving school. Society look at a bin man for example and high powered career person and think the bin man is lower than the career person even though the bin man has a very important job and is earning money to support his family.

In your grandparents time most people left school 15/16 and got jobs most people did not even think of going into higher education and a lot men did very dangerous jobs.
What wrong with getting married at 18

You are missing the point. In a none feminist world, that is the expectation, not a choice. It is what you do because you are a woman and nothing else. Obviously any money you earn should be given to your husband to decide how to be spent. He knows best!

Feminism = equality of opportunity = choice.

You seem to be suggesting women should be put in their place and have choice removed.
Original post by ByEeek
You are missing the point. In a none feminist world, that is the expectation, not a choice. It is what you do because you are a woman and nothing else. Obviously any money you earn should be given to your husband to decide how to be spent. He knows best!

You seem to be suggesting women should be put in their place and have choice removed.

I'm a work class woman myself I was raised by a single disabled father having in my first six years watch my mother abuse my father. Thankfully she left before she murder me or my father.
Women in America/Britain etc in fact have more right then men under law feminist should want the same laws for males.
https://equi-law.uk/imbalanced-legislation/
https://genderbalancing.wordpress.com/2017/12/28/women-have-more-legal-rights-than-men/
I'm a work class woman myself I was raised by a single disabled father having in my first six years watch my mother abuse my father. Thankfully she left before she murder me or my father.
Women in America/Britain etc in fact have more right then men under law feminist should want the same laws for males.
https://equi-law.uk/imbalanced-legislation/
https://genderbalancing.wordpress.com/2017/12/28/women-have-more-legal-rights-than-men/

Yep. I agree with all of that. But you might saybthey are edge cases that affect very few men. By contrast women still suffer huge discrimination in the face society at large from the expectation that they will be the primary carer to job discrimination and harassment in public as documented only today!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-49435737

To be quite frank, I find it rather sad to her women arguing against feminism. It is like prisoners arguing to remain locked up afyer their release date.
ok good for you I guess
Original post by ByEeek
Yep. I agree with all of that. But you might saybthey are edge cases that affect very few men. By contrast women still suffer huge discrimination in the face society at large from the expectation that they will be the primary carer to job discrimination and harassment in public as documented only today!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-49435737

To be quite frank, I find it rather sad to her women arguing against feminism. It is like prisoners arguing to remain locked up afyer their release date.

If you read educational, homelessness etc statics your that white working males who are the worst of in Britain. White working class boysare more likely than girls to end up homeless not go in to higher education be in care system etc. By the way those are not just affect a small number of male it affect a third of country population.
https://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/uk/majority-of-white-working-class-boys-failing-to-get-good-gcses-35203703.html
https://www.channel4.com/programmes/professor-green-working-class-white-men
https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2016/nov/18/its-no-surprise-that-white-working-class-boys-do-badly-at-school

Why are you not a masculinist as man?
If you read educational, homelessness etc statics your that white working males who are the worst of in Britain. White working class boysare more likely than girls to end up homeless not go in to higher education be in care system etc. By the way those are not just affect a small number of male it affect a third of country population.
https://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/uk/majority-of-white-working-class-boys-failing-to-get-good-gcses-35203703.html
https://www.channel4.com/programmes/professor-green-working-class-white-men
https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2016/nov/18/its-no-surprise-that-white-working-class-boys-do-badly-at-school

Why are you not a masculinist as man?

True. But when you look at percentages, uou need to ask yourself is it a big number. You are correct in your assertions but whatever statistic you wish to present, on average, men have it better than women atvevery level.
Original post by ByEeek
True. But when you look at percentages, uou need to ask yourself is it a big number. You are correct in your assertions but whatever statistic you wish to present, on average, men have it better than women atvevery level.

The true is that UN report into the sexes found in Britain/America that life on average was better for women than men. there are even feminists writes who done research have knowledge that females are treated better by the law, healthcare, employment education and society.
(edited 4 years ago)
The true is that UN report into the sexes found in Britain/America that life on average was better for women than men. there are even feminists writes who done research have knowledge that females are treated better by the law, healthcare, employment education and society.

Could you post a link to this article please? I would be interested to read it.
Original post by ByEeek

</humour>

That's not what she's saying and a typical reply from an pseudo liberal who cannot accept difference of opinion.:angry:

Why jump to the extrems, and what's wrong with a woman (or a man) chooing to take are traditional carer nurturer housewife role?
Original post by ByEeek

Rubbish why are you jumping to the extremes, she's not saying women should be oppressed and have zero say in marital decisions!

Equalities are inportant not should be politicised and judged in outcome statistics

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending