The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Leeisagoat
Just got 630 on my UCAT. However I did do relatively well in the VR section (700). I have a 1st class degree and a post graduate diploma. Do you think Warwick is non-starter for me?

Looking through the statistics for last year, the smallest submitted score for the UKCAT/UCAT on thestudentroom was an average of 2610 (652.5), 90 points away from yours. ( https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1nVuxe_4KAaTXR94o4a5y3HcazWvPvQ-GwycmY9G6IZE/edit#gid=0 )
However, on the Warwick website, lowest was 2,570 (642.5) , 50 points from yours. https://warwick.ac.uk/fac/sci/med/study/ugr/applying/entryreqs/ucat/

There is a general downtrend in UCAT scores, so if you apply, if the trend continues, you may just make the mark. That said, however, it is not a safe score to assure you a place in Warwick and even if there is a downtrend, it won't necessarily be enough.

Good luck.
Hi I did my UCAT today and got 2600 but only 540 in VR. I really want to apply to Warwick but am afraid that my VR score will not give me an interview. What should I do?
Original post by Demi.star
Hi I did my UCAT today and got 2600 but only 540 in VR. I really want to apply to Warwick but am afraid that my VR score will not give me an interview. What should I do?

This does seem quite low but there is no harm in applying. However if you have other choices to consider (such as GAMSAT uni's) that might be a shout. Overall for GEM this is quite a low score but you can never rule it out :smile: Submit the application and just see what happens, then if you have to reapply next year you have a statement and reference ready.
Reply 23
I'm in a similar position. Just sat my UCAT and didn't do well: 2460 total with VR at 670.I haven't got a science background at all which limits my applications to Warwick (and Newcastle I believe). Though Warwick would be choice having visited for the open day in May. I have a 2.1 BA and will make up the work experience hours with a wide variety of experiences. However, I think with my UCAT score I'm unlikely to be considered. Do I give it a shot and apply anyway?My next thoughts are what can I do in order to improve my chances next year? Should I expand my options? take up Chemistry A-Level? Sit the GAMSAT? or do I just focus harder on the UCAT?
Reply 24
Original post by JM567
I'm in a similar position. Just sat my UCAT and didn't do well: 2460 total with VR at 670.I haven't got a science background at all which limits my applications to Warwick (and Newcastle I believe). Though Warwick would be choice having visited for the open day in May. I have a 2.1 BA and will make up the work experience hours with a wide variety of experiences. However, I think with my UCAT score I'm unlikely to be considered. Do I give it a shot and apply anyway?My next thoughts are what can I do in order to improve my chances next year? Should I expand my options? take up Chemistry A-Level? Sit the GAMSAT? or do I just focus harder on the UCAT?

I'm sorry to say, but 2460 - avg 615 - is highly unlikely to get an offer. I would maybe look around if there are any Graduate courses for the BMAT, or if you can sit the GAMSAT in time, including studying and sitting. If not, look at potential undergrad courses too that may accept you.

Next year, it's up to you what you do - pick what you want to do depending on where you want to apply.
Would anyone mind sharing what sort of work experience they used to support their Warwick applications?

I'm kind of struggling to figure out what exactly is acceptable/realistic for their criterion or what they consider hands on care for those who don't have formal training as a healthcare professional, which are required for 3/4 of their examples provided.
Original post by 548
Hey Guys,

I know it's pretty early, but I wanted to start a thread for people applying to Warwick's Graduate Medicine Programme so that we could all share tips and advice.

Please introduce yourself: i.e degree, work experience etc!

Ive finished university and at the moment I'm preparing for the UKCAT and working part time as an HCA. Looking for other experiences too.

Almost completely stolen, word for word from the past thread.

Hey,
I am BSc Biomedical Science graduate and currently working as BMS. I have been volunteering for more than 4 years at my local hospital in various roles. I also have around 3 weeks worth of shadowing experience on different wards and department around the hospital I am currently working.
I will be applying for 2020 entry and at the moment I am preparing for UCAT exam.
Original post by Sumaya O
Hey, Sorry to hear the news I scored 2720 band 1 and ive discounted Warwick (and Southampton/newcastle GEM) a lot of their applicants make it to interview with a 700 avg? If the deciles are in our favour this year we may have a chance but I would say do some research into other unis.

I wouldn't discount Warwick with 2720, I would say that gives you a fighting chance given previous cut-offs.
youve made my day ive been beating myself up all day 😭 I dont know if you'll know but do you think I stand a chance for barts/southampton?

Sadly, I think Barts is totally out of the question :/ and probably unlikely with Southampton as well. But, caveat that, by saying it’s only my opinion and I am only a humble 2020 GEM applicant myself.
Reply 29
I scored only 2720 which isnt bad but its not very competitive with a 680 avg 😭
my breakdown is VR 620, QR 700, DM 700, AR 680, SJT band 1

What are my chances for warwick/barts/southampton/kcl? I have plenty of work experience and A*AB at a level including bio/chem respectively with B in RS and a 2:1 biosciences? will this save me?

680 is so borderline I dont want to waste any applications, please help!

Hey there,

There was a spreadsheet everyone put some work into and we collated some data in regards to the GEM cycle last year:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1nVuxe_4KAaTXR94o4a5y3HcazWvPvQ-GwycmY9G6IZE/edit#gid=901503487

You can flick through the schools using the tabs at the bottom, and if you scroll to the bottom of the candidates list, there should be the min, max and average score. Alternatively, you can download the sheet and arrange values in numerical or alphabetical order.

More directly to your question, your score is within the boundaries of getting accepted to Warwick, as scavo86 implied.
Barts is a no go with a 2.1, unless you score ~800/3200.
Southampton's recorded minimum for TSR was 710/2840.
KCL's recorded minimum for TSR was 702.5/2810.

Have you looked into A100 courses too?
Would it be risky applying with 590 in VR? It’s pretty close to previous national averages. Still got 2880 which I’m happy about but rlly want to apply to Warwick!!
Reply 31
Original post by cocoabeaneo
Would it be risky applying with 590 in VR? It’s pretty close to previous national averages. Still got 2880 which I’m happy about but rlly want to apply to Warwick!!

Once official deciles are out mid Sep-Oct onwards you’ll be able to know this year’s average for VR. Yours should be slightly higher so defo worth a shot in applying but wait until then to see to be definite.

Well done on your awesome score 😊
Reply 32
Original post by cocoabeaneo

To echo above, it's worth a shot.

Your score is 20 points above the smallest value we recorded on TSR last year for VR.
Original post by TQN95
Once official deciles are out mid Sep-Oct onwards you’ll be able to know this year’s average for VR. Yours should be slightly higher so defo worth a shot in applying but wait until then to see to be definite.

Well done on your awesome score 😊

Original post by 548
To echo above, it's worth a shot.

Your score is 20 points above the smallest value we recorded on TSR last year for VR.

Thank you guys! That’s really reassuring to hear :smile:
Hey,
I’ve graduated with a 2.1 in Biomedical Sciences, hoping to apply to Warwick for 2020 entry. Got my UCAT booked for the 2nd Oct. Work experience: I’ve got 1 week shadowing orthopaedic consultants/surgeons, 2 years as a pharmacy assistant, and just under 2 weeks (20 hrs & counting) in a care home, which I think should be enough to meet Warwick’s work experience requirements.
Now I’ve just got the UCAT to deal with 🥴
Reply 35
Original post by KanielOutis__
Hey,
I’ve graduated with a 2.1 in Biomedical Sciences, hoping to apply to Warwick for 2020 entry. Got my UCAT booked for the 2nd Oct. Work experience: I’ve got 1 week shadowing orthopaedic consultants/surgeons, 2 years as a pharmacy assistant, and just under 2 weeks (20 hrs & counting) in a care home, which I think should be enough to meet Warwick’s work experience requirements.
Now I’ve just got the UCAT to deal with 🥴

Good luck! How's practice going for it?
Reply 36
Hey guys,

Do you think I have a chance this year with a 2680 UCAT (VR:670) I have a BA(Hons) 2:1 and plenty of work experience.

I've been freaking out because I just missed the cut off last year and I was really hoping not to go through the same thing this year D: The rest of my choices will probably be GAMSAT!

I hope everyone is getting on alright prepping for this years cycle!
Hello there!
Just a quick introduction:

BSc Biomedical science, going into 3rd year, predicted with 1:1 (+ distinction)
HCA for the last year in a hospital
Volunteer for Parkinson's UK & British Red Cross
Experience/Shadowing in theatres + on wards
Research project for 2 months at Guy's hospital under King's College Postdocs
Previous competitor on national level in 2 different sports
Partially finished previous degree

Sitting UCAT in September

Good luck to everyone who's doing it!
Original post by 548
Hey there,

There was a spreadsheet everyone put some work into and we collated some data in regards to the GEM cycle last year:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1nVuxe_4KAaTXR94o4a5y3HcazWvPvQ-GwycmY9G6IZE/edit#gid=901503487

You can flick through the schools using the tabs at the bottom, and if you scroll to the bottom of the candidates list, there should be the min, max and average score. Alternatively, you can download the sheet and arrange values in numerical or alphabetical order.

More directly to your question, your score is within the boundaries of getting accepted to Warwick, as scavo86 implied.
Barts is a no go with a 2.1, unless you score ~800/3200.
Southampton's recorded minimum for TSR was 710/2840.
KCL's recorded minimum for TSR was 702.5/2810.

Have you looked into A100 courses too?

Thanks for the details, do you mean that if you get 1st in Undergraduate degree+Master/PhD, would the UCAT score be regarded differently?
It’s not too bad actually, the only thing I’m worried about is AR, I sometimes find it really difficult to spot the patterns. But I’m hoping I’ll get better with practice. I think 2-3 hours a night for 4-5 weeks should be enough to get a good enough score.

Original post by 548
Good luck! How's practice going for it?

Latest

Trending

Trending