The Student Room Group

Legacy Specification? What does that mean?

Hi
Good day! :smile:

I'm reading the specification for a language A Level. There's a table, and one side says 'reformed specification' and the other side says 'legacy specification'. Does that mean that those particular aspects of the old spec are still relevant to the current one?
I'll post a screenshot so you can see

Thanks a lot for your time :smile:
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by Vanessa Rose 01
Hi
Good day! :smile:

I'm reading the specification for a language A Level. There's a table, and one side says 'reformed specification' and the other side says 'legacy specification'. Does that mean that those particular aspects of the old spec are still relevant to the current one?
I'll post a screenshot so you can see

Thanks a lot for your time :smile:

It is just showing the changes, but as far as you are concerned juts focus on the reformed specification.
Original post by 999tigger
It is just showing the changes, but as far as you are concerned juts focus on the reformed specification.

You see I'm self studying the a level, and insofar as I'm aware there are no textbooks for the reformed spec, so I have to put things together myself, if that makes sense
You see I'm self studying the a level, and insofar as I'm aware there are no textbooks for the reformed spec, so I have to put things together myself, if that makes sense

Which subject?
Ask the exam board,on recommended texts.
It does make sense. You still need to create the new spec.
Which subject?
Ask the exam board,on recommended texts.
It does make sense. You still need to create the new spec.

I emailed the board a while ago, but this is what they said:
Hi,

Thank you for reaching out to Pearson.

Textbooks are for illustrative purposes and may not contain all the content on the specification or additional content that is not in the specification. As an awarding body, we are unable to give recommendations and decision on the books a student or teacher decides to use must be their own choice.

However, here's the link for A Level Arabic specification and course materials we have available:

https://qualifications.pearson.com/en/qualifications/edexcel-a-levels/arabic-2018.html

In line with that, I recommend that you speak with a teacher/ tutor at any Pearson registered centre as they are in the best position to advise which book is best for the learner.
(edited 4 years ago)
I have emailed the board a while ago, but this is what they said:
Hi,

Thank you for reaching out to Pearson.

Textbooks are for illustrative purposes and may not contain all the content on the specification or additional content that is not in the specification. As an awarding body, we are unable to give recommendations and decision on the books a student or teacher decides to use must be their own choice.

However, here's the link for A Level Arabic specification and course materials we have available:

https://qualifications.pearson.com/en/qualifications/edexcel-a-levels/arabic-2018.html

In line with that, I recommend that you speak with a teacher/ tutor at any Pearson registered centre as they are in the best position to advise which book is best for the learner.

So I'm kinda on my own....

They have provided some resources but those are only meant to support studying alongside a textbook.

So I'm using the old textbooks, as well as using the new specification to guide my learning :smile:
That's why I'm trying to understand exactly what is meant by 'legacy specification'...??!!!
(edited 4 years ago)
So I'm kinda on my own....

They have provided some resources but those are only meant to support studying alongside a textbook.

So I'm using the old textbooks, as well as using the new specification to guide my learning :smile:
That's why I'm trying to understand exactly what is meant by 'legacy specification'...??!!!

To avoid going round in circles I would use the new textbook.
In the situation you dont have the new one then you need to check the specification and add some post it notes or other to highlight the changes in where the marks are yourself. What you are doing is fine.

Legacy specification just refers to the old syllabus which is no longer in use. You dont need to know what it was, just if you are using an old textbook it is likely to be written with the old spec in mind and not the new one.
To avoid going round in circles I would use the new textbook.
In the situation you dont have the new one then you need to check the specification and add some post it notes or other to highlight the changes in where the marks are yourself. What you are doing is fine.

Legacy specification just refers to the old syllabus which is no longer in use. You dont need to know what it was, just if you are using an old textbook it is likely to be written with the old spec in mind and not the new one.

Okay. Thank you 😊

Quick Reply

Latest