The Student Room Group

GCSE day coursework

Hi. I am doing a safe and comfortable home as my dt topic. Can anyone help?
Original post by Roo969
Hi. I am doing a safe and comfortable home as my dt topic. Can anyone help?

What year are you? Year 10? And what exam board?
Reply 2
Hi. Will be starting year 11 in September. The board is aqa.
I just finished year 11 and my exam board was edexcel. Just double checking - the safe and comfortable home is for your NEA right? I did quite well in my NEA but my theme was a bit different to yours (teaching children about endangered animals so I made a board game) What exactly would you like help with? Starting the research and creating ideas?
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 4
Depends tho
Reply 5
Hi. That’s right. For my NEA. Yes as you said for starting and ides. Was thinking of a laptop stand or a key storage place when you walk in house.

Original post by army of 1
I just finished year 11 and my exam board was edexcel. Just double checking - the safe and comfortable home is for your NEA right? I did quite well in my NEA but my theme was a bit different to yours (teaching children about endangered animals so I made a board game) What exactly would you like help with? Starting the research and creating ideas?
Original post by Roo969
Hi. That’s right. For my NEA. Yes as you said for starting and ides. Was thinking of a laptop stand or a key storage place when you walk in house.

Ok cool. When I started my project I struggled to come up with ideas so my first page was a mind map with loads of different things that you associate with your theme. So I guess you could have one branch to do with safety, one for comfortable, target market, maybe like colours (you could do some colour theory stuff maybe? Like red is associated with danger so wouldnt make your home look safe or comfy?) I think examiners like colour theory, typography, safety regulations & symbols, etc

Basically keep it open, make sure you have lots of options for designs and don’t narrow it down to just one type of product right at the start

My class were also advised to do a target market survey thing (which I made up lol) so you could ask like ten people what they would want in their home to make it more safe/comfortable

Also theres this NEA guide that I used to help me make sure I included everything the exam board is looking for (it might be a bit different for you since you’re AQA but it might be helpful to read) : https://www.tes.com/teaching-resource/gcse-d-and-t-pupil-nea-guide-2018-2019-11928307

also when you start making your product in the workshop tAKE PICTURES (you have to make a production log showing how you make it etc) and DONT WASTE TIME MAN so many people in my class were really cutting it close with the deadline so make sure you stick to all your deadlines.
Reply 7
Ok cool. When I started my project I struggled to come up with ideas so my first page was a mind map with loads of different things that you associate with your theme. So I guess you could have one branch to do with safety, one for comfortable, target market, maybe like colours (you could do some colour theory stuff maybe? Like red is associated with danger so wouldnt make your home look safe or comfy?) I think examiners like colour theory, typography, safety regulations & symbols, etc

Basically keep it open, make sure you have lots of options for designs and don’t narrow it down to just one type of product right at the start

My class were also advised to do a target market survey thing (which I made up lol) so you could ask like ten people what they would want in their home to make it more safe/comfortable

Also theres this NEA guide that I used to help me make sure I included everything the exam board is looking for (it might be a bit different for you since you’re AQA but it might be helpful to read) : https://www.tes.com/teaching-resource/gcse-d-and-t-pupil-nea-guide-2018-2019-11928307

also when you start making your product in the workshop tAKE PICTURES (you have to make a production log showing how you make it etc) and DONT WASTE TIME MAN so many people in my class were really cutting it close with the deadline so make sure you stick to all your deadlines.

Cool. I have started already with a spider diagram. Still not 100% on product ideas though. The link is also very useful so thank you. What grade did you get.
Original post by Roo969
Cool. I have started already with a spider diagram. Still not 100% on product ideas though. The link is also very useful so thank you. What grade did you get.

Ok great. I think doing the customer survey helps with coming up with ideas. And also analysing existing products. Since my theme was about endangered animals I also did a page on research about them and the WWF - I’m not sure what you could do for that though. Somehow I managed to get a 9 which I’m still shocked about. Most of my marks were from the NEA not theory but that’s probably just because my teachers never taught us theory very well lol
Also don’t overthink it; I think even if the product is quite simple if you make it well and cover all the things AQA want to see in your written work you’ll do quite well.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 9
Ok great. I think doing the customer survey helps with coming up with ideas. And also analysing existing products. Since my theme was about endangered animals I also did a page on research about them and the WWF - I’m not sure what you could do for that though. Somehow I managed to get a 9 which I’m still shocked about. Most of my marks were from the NEA not theory but that’s probably just because my teachers never taught us theory very well lol
Also don’t overthink it; I think even if the product is quite simple if you make it well and cover all the things AQA want to see in your written work you’ll do quite well.

Well done on your grade. I will definitely take in what you’ve said and hopefully come up with something
Original post by Roo969
Well done on your grade. I will definitely take in what you’ve said and hopefully come up with something

Thanks! Hopefully I’ve been of some help. If you need help with anything else you can ask me I don’t mind. You’ve got this!

Quick Reply

Latest