The Student Room Group

Should I take Maths? HELP

The college of my preference is offering me Accounts,Psychology, Economics,and English Language. Should I take Maths privately- (I got a B in Olevels) or will it be very difficult for me take 5 subjects?

Another college is offering me Maths,Accounts and Economics but that college isnt as good as the college of my preference.
What do u want to do as a career do u k? Will maths be the best option for u?

5 subjects will be too much but if ur up for it then definetely... just make sure ur following the spec coz u might miss something out (Idk how this private study works but I think u will need to study the right things for ur exam board)

Out of the subjects u said , do u enjoy all of them?
Reply 2
Original post by Sannah 21
What do u want to do as a career do u k? Will maths be the best option for u?

5 subjects will be too much but if ur up for it then definetely... just make sure ur following the spec coz u might miss something out (Idk how this private study works but I think u will need to study the right things for ur exam board)

Out of the subjects u said , do u enjoy all of them?

I want to pursue something related to finance in the future, and maths will broaden my options that is why i am considering it. I have never studied psych, but have to take it if i want to get admission in the college i want.

Is ALevel English difficult? I got a B in Olevel English, but an A* in Literature without studying much.
So technically my primary focus will be on 4 subjects.
Reply 3
Original post by daftykunk
The college of my preference is offering me Accounts,Psychology, Economics,and English Language. Should I take Maths privately- (I got a B in Olevels) or will it be very difficult for me take 5 subjects?

Another college is offering me Maths,Accounts and Economics but that college isnt as good as the college of my preference.

Are you taking UK A Levels or international? Taking 5 A Levels is extremely hard for the vast majority of students. And are you saying you'll be self-teaching maths? The A-Level attainment for B grade GCSE students isn't great:

Trying to self-study as a B grade GCSE student while taking 4 other A Levels sounds like mission impossible to me.
Which English r u talking about? For Lit Yh the content from GCSE Eng Lit to a level is alot and so many more quotes to learn, more books...
So u have to focus on that

Anyway so u have to do maths ok....
Just make sure ur doing everything on the spec and don’t miss anything out that a normal teacher would teach in a class (again idk how private study works but I’m suggesting this if it happens)

Read about psychology abit first see if u like it
Y do colleges offer u something? Isn’t it u picking ur subjects?

Do u have to go to this college? Coz if u don’t like Psych then don’t
Forget wat I said
Ur in a complicated situation
I can’t help soz
Reply 6
Original post by Notnek
Are you taking UK A Levels or international? Taking 5 A Levels is extremely hard for the vast majority of students. And are you saying you'll be self-teaching maths? The A-Level attainment for B grade GCSE students isn't great:

Trying to self-study as a B grade GCSE student while taking 4 other A Levels sounds like mission impossible to me.

International ALevels
Nope i wont self study Maths if i take it. I will have a private tutor for it.
Reply 7
Original post by Sannah 21
Forget wat I said
Ur in a complicated situation
I can’t help soz

Cant understand anything you said either :P
Thanks for the help though.
Cant understand anything you said either :P
Thanks for the help though.

😂😂
Reply 9

Definitely go to your preferred college. It will likely make you happier.

You A Levels at your preferred sound relatively manageable for four subjects, but that is not to say that it will be easy. Five A Level are not common for a reason - it will be academically incredibly intense.

Maths is a hard, hard A Level. The algebra alone is around 70 times harder than GCSE, so bear that in mind. Further to this, most people have a teacher for this A Level; definitely consider getting a tutor who you can at least check in with when you come across a tough area.

If you do take five, firstly good luck, but secondly make sure you have an option to back out of one, or even two at a later point. It’s important that you don’t get burned out. You’re always going to be better off getting three exemplary A Levels than five mediocre ones.

I hope you make a decision that is right for you, and you have many future academic successes.

O
Reply 10
Original post by olivert5
Definitely go to your preferred college. It will likely make you happier.

You A Levels at your preferred sound relatively manageable for four subjects, but that is not to say that it will be easy. Five A Level are not common for a reason - it will be academically incredibly intense.

Maths is a hard, hard A Level. The algebra alone is around 70 times harder than GCSE, so bear that in mind. Further to this, most people have a teacher for this A Level; definitely consider getting a tutor who you can at least check in with when you come across a tough area.

If you do take five, firstly good luck, but secondly make sure you have an option to back out of one, or even two at a later point. It’s important that you don’t get burned out. You’re always going to be better off getting three exemplary A Levels than five mediocre ones.

I hope you make a decision that is right for you, and you have many future academic successes.

O

If I take maths privately i guess i will have the option to opt out of it.
I am thinking of taking it privately for the first year that is AS, and if i manage to get a good grade continue with it but if i dont drop it.

Quick Reply

Latest