The Student Room Group

Can you get 3A* in ALevels

how difficult is it to manage 3A*s in ALevels?

Scroll to see replies

erm what kind of answer are you looking for?
well it really depends on the subjects, how much effort youre putting in, actually following a revision technique that works for you, and going the extra mile by going to tuition! time management is really important too, as in these years you’re also probably really busy preparing for uni applications, working or volunteering! it’s tough but not impossible
if your good at maths getting an A*A* in maths and fmaths is really easy.
Also A level geography and business studies are free A*s.

But if you don't wanna cheese it then it can be pretty hard.
I got 3A*s, I did biology, chemistry and music and I’m off to do Medicine
Original post by upbeat4
I got 3A*s, I did biology, chemistry and music and I’m off to do Medicine

ahh that is amazing!! i also want to do medicine ((: just wondering where are you off to?
Original post by anaveragetoad
how difficult is it to manage 3A*s in ALevels?

It is not too hard tbh. I got them and I did 4 A-Levels (Maths, Biology, CS and Spanish) , EPQ and had to do some extra English qualification too (IELTS).
Once you figure out how to get A* you will be fine, but this is the hard part
Reply 7
Doable but you can't rest on your laurels and assume that you've got a topic covered.
Reply 8
Naturally, it is hard. That’s the point of having top grades - it is to distinguish the good candidates from the great ones.

Additionally, even the top universities in the country don’t require 3 A*s; typically an oxbridge offer will be an A* and two As.

However, that said, it is possible to get three A*s, and many people do get them. If you simply work hard and consistently, you are more than likely to receive a respectable set of A Level grades that will stand you in good stead for your future.

What really distinguishes the good candidates from the great ones is the enthusiasm and passion for their subjects. Reading around your subject isn’t just useful for embellishing your CV or personal statement - it will inform you on new theorems and methods in STEM subjects and give you new writing styles and points in the humanities and arts.

Getting three A*s is not the be all and end all in life. While it will certainly give you academic confidence and make you stand out from the crowd, it had been proven that often high achievers in school will not necessarily be the top students at university or later life.

Good luck with your further academic studies, and continue to think high, but remember to give yourself time away from academia. Your grades will thank you for it.

O
Original post by Sinnoh
Doable but you can't rest on your laurels and assume that you've got a topic covered.

What do laurels mean?

From what I'm getting on google it says a shrub or to bestow award or praise based on achievement.
I mean I got A* in bio chem maths
and not just scrap it but like 20-30 marks into A* in each subject

I can help you if u want?
Original post by pipthesqueak
ahh that is amazing!! i also want to do medicine ((: just wondering where are you off to?

Thanks! I’m off to Kings College London, not kings College Cambridge which was what my grandparents initially thought😅
Original post by upbeat4
Thanks! I’m off to Kings College London, not kings College Cambridge which was what my grandparents initially thought😅

that’s honestly so awesome!! kcl is one of the unis i want to go :biggrin:
Original post by pipthesqueak
that’s honestly so awesome!! kcl is one of the unis i want to go :biggrin:

KCL is an awesome place, if you want me to answer any questions about the admissions process to KCL, feel free to PM me!
Original post by Hammad(214508)
It is not too hard tbh. I got them and I did 4 A-Levels (Maths, Biology, CS and Spanish) , EPQ and had to do some extra English qualification too (IELTS).
Once you figure out how to get A* you will be fine, but this is the hard part

Heyy u did Spanish and got A*?!
I got an 8 for GCSE
I love Spanish and wanna do it next yr for a level
How did u find it?? Wat did u do?
U can pm or send here
Original post by upbeat4
KCL is an awesome place, if you want me to answer any questions about the admissions process to KCL, feel free to PM me!

that’s so nice of you!! thank you! i’ll make sure to do so :biggrin:
My only advice is do subjects you enjoy!!! Don’t listen to people, pick a levels that are REQUIRED and then do whatever the hell YOU want after. I wish I did this because I hated physics from day 1 but picked it because I thought it would help a computer science application even tho it wasn’t required anywhere. Biggest mistake of my A level career was not doing English lit which was what I wanted to do in the first place

SO! Do the subjects YOU want to do!!! This will make the A*’s easier to achieve because A levels are a lot of work and you don’t want to commit every time you revise
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by acromo123
I mean I got A* in bio chem maths
and not just scrap it but like 20-30 marks into A* in each subject

I can help you if u want?

So what was your strategy? I've just finished AS and got As I found it really difficult when trying to improve my marks from an A to an A* particularly in the science subjects. I would really like to know since you went beyond even the grade boundary of an A* I really want 3A* and no matter what.
No I can't. I achieved A*AAA. Lol anyways it definitely possible. I think getting 3A* is much harder than getting my grades. The grade boundaries can be really high and you just need to be really concise with your answers.
Not related to the question but I opted for 4 a levels so I can get a "lower" offer from uni as I see getting the A* an additional 3 steps. Especially as the gap between A* and A will be substantially larger than the B-A gap.
Original post by joker125
What were you gcses like as I want to proceed in medicine but have received a 4 in English language and think that has let me down

I got 12 A*s at GCSE, my school did some IGCSE exams so we didn’t have to do the numbered exams. I don’t know the minimum GCSE requirements of all the med schools off the top of my head but, the minimum grade required for English is a 5/6. It’s all on the medic portal online. If you’ve still keen about medicine, have a look at the GCSE resit policies for each uni, most unis don’t look too kindly on resits although there may be a few exceptions.

Quick Reply

Latest