The Student Room Group

"Are these GCSEs good enough for x" - the guide

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by readyplayer2wo
no *****. they're different grades

Man here knows more about Oxford admissions than Oxford admissions themselves. Follow the link in the OP.
Reply 21
Original post by readyplayer2wo
I really want to got to oxbridge

are my results good enough to study at Oxbridge?

i got 5 Us and an E and the rest 4s

- Said no-one ever on TSR lol
Hi I got for my GCSEs
Chem-7
Bio-6
Physics-6
PE -6
Maths-6
Rs-8
History-7
English Lit-7
Geography-7
English language-6 but might get remarked as 4 marks of 7/ is it worth the remark. Are these grades enough for medicine
Original post by Wetforgery
Hi I got for my GCSEs
Chem-7
Bio-6
Physics-6
PE -6
Maths-6
Rs-8
History-7
English Lit-7
Geography-7
English language-6 but might get remarked as 4 marks of 7/ is it worth the remark. Are these grades enough for medicine

I think so yes. :smile:

Are there particular institutions you have in mind at the moment?
Original post by 04MR17
I think so yes. :smile:

Are there particular institutions you have in mind at the moment?

Mainly London unis like UCL KCL imperial and queen mary

And will remarking and getting a 7 be worth it

You meet the requirements for Barts (QM) and KCL.
Don't have anything on Imperial but I'll work on that now.
As for UCL, do you have a foreign language GCSE at all?
Original post by 04MR17
You meet the requirements for Barts (QM) and KCL.
Don't have anything on Imperial but I'll work on that now.
As for UCL, do you have a foreign language GCSE at all?

No is it a problem?
Reply 28

All your grades meet the requirements for all those unis. I can't imagine a 7 in English lang being instrumental to your application.
What's more important is that you get as good predicted A-level grades as you can, as well as doing well in the BMAT and UCAT. That could make up for your GCSEs which, while not bad by any means, are probably below the average for those universities. It will be a lot of work.
You should look up which universities place more importance on GCSEs for shortlisting.

Not having a foreign language at GCSE for UCL won't be a detriment to your application but you'll have to take language classes when you start uni.
No is it a problem?

Got this for UCL:
Candidates can be admitted if they do not offer a foreign language GCSE (and their application will not be disadvantaged), but they would be obligated to take a language course during their first year

Imperial hold no GCSE requirements. :smile:

KCL I think would require a stronger UCAT to make up for them and QMUL use UCAT and ucas tariff 50:50 so you would likely need 3a*s predicted and an as level or epq and something like grade 6 music as well as a pretty good UCAT and the other two are bmat
Original post by DGeorge13
KCL I think would require a stronger UCAT to make up for them and QMUL use UCAT and ucas tariff 50:50 so you would likely need 3a*s predicted and an as level or epq and something like grade 6 music as well as a pretty good UCAT and the other two are bmat

In your heart of hearts do you believe I should all together leave the medicine idea behind
In your heart of hearts do you believe I should all together leave the medicine idea behind

If it's what you really want to do, don't abandon it.
You have the GCSE grades needed for lots of universities so there's nothing stopping you from giving it a good crack.
I'd advise applying to medical schools with a range of entry requirements so that you have a few safer options if you don't get into some of the very competitive ones.

No. There’s plenty of places you would be absolutely fine at. This year get some work experience to see if you enjoy it and some volunteering also for that and to show commitment. See how year 12 goes and join clubs at college and enjoy yourself. Do some research into unis and maybe look outside London. Revise for mocks to try and get the predicted grades and then prep for UCAT- sgul could be alright if your UCAT is alright you have lots of options
Reply 34
Original post by Fr3yaa
Feels like I have no chance of studying medicine at oxbridge :frown:
GCSE grades are too low for Oxford (seven 8s and three 7s, no 9s) and chose the wrong A-levels for Cambridge (97% of Successful applicants have 3 science-maths a-levels, I only picked 2) aargh so frustrated

I did the same thing with my level subjects so I'm switching from them bio and English to them bio and maths last minute
Maths - 9
Chemistry - 9
Biology - 8
Physics - 9
DT (forced to do/school gave no option choices) - 6
Language - 5
Literature - 6
Btec Engineering - DoubleDistinction.

The problem I have is first of all my english grade. I have no idea if I can get into medical school. Secondly, my school gave no options and limited our gcses to 7 subjects, forcing us to do DT. I need 5 passes at 7+ but I have 4. What should I do? 2 More gcses next year of my choice?
Further Maths- 5
Maths- 9
Chemistry- 9
Biology- 9
Physics- 9
History- 9
Geography-9
Spanish- 8
English Literature- 8
English Language- 8

I will get my English Literature exam remarked as I was 1 mark off a 9 but even then and currently with six 9s and three 8s, I'm fear that my 5 (C grade) in Further Maths will place me at a huge disadvantage when applying to medical schools, especially because I had hopes to apply to UCL and King's College London.

My further maths exam was particularly difficult as it was IGCSE Edexcel but I doubt universities will recognize that my Further Maths course was far more challenging than that of AQA.

I was set to do A Levels in Biology, Chemistry and Maths but now I think I will change Maths to History as there may be higher chances of me achieving an A* in History than in Maths, though I wonder if A Level History will jeopardize my application for medicine.
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by katherine_p2
Further Maths- 5
Maths- 9
Chemistry- 9
Biology- 9
Physics- 9
History- 9
Geography-9
Spanish- 8
English Literature- 8
English Language- 8

I will get my English Literature exam remarked as I was 1 mark off a 9 but even then and currently with six 9s and three 8s, I'm fear that my 5 (C grade) in Further Maths will place me at a huge disadvantage when applying to medical schools, especially because I had hopes to apply to UCL and King's College London.

My further maths exam was particularly difficult as it was IGCSE Edexcel but I doubt universities will recognize that my Further Maths course was far more challenging than that of AQA.

I was set to do A Levels in Biology, Chemistry and Maths but now I think I will change Maths to History as there may be higher chances of me achieving an A* in History than in Maths, though I wonder if A Level History will jeopardize my application for medicine.

5 in further not a problem. History will not jeopardise your chances and if you are more likely to do well and enjoy it do it. Also, you have straight a*s apart from further as I don’t think for 2020 at least any unis discriminate between 8 and 9
Original post by DontWorry02
Maths - 9
Chemistry - 9
Biology - 8
Physics - 9
DT (forced to do/school gave no option choices) - 6
Language - 5
Literature - 6
Btec Engineering - DoubleDistinction.

The problem I have is first of all my english grade. I have no idea if I can get into medical school. Secondly, my school gave no options and limited our gcses to 7 subjects, forcing us to do DT. I need 5 passes at 7 but I have 4. What should I do? 2 More gcses next year of my choice?
See list of GCSE Requirements for med schools linked to in the OP. There are some that will take a 5 in Language, and there might be some who'll accept the Literature grade instead: if a preference for GCSE English language is not stated on their website email them and ask unless it says they'll take literature.

- I'd love to know the replies you get by the way, please come back and share them with us so TSR can make this clear to other applicants. :smile:

Where are you getting the info about 5 passes at 7 from? Not all unis want this.
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by DGeorge13
5 in further not a problem. History will not jeopardise your chances and if you are more likely to do well and enjoy it do it. Also, you have straight a*s apart from further as I don’t think for 2020 at least any unis discriminate between 8 and 9

Thank you so much!

Quick Reply

Latest