The Student Room Group

GCSEs Advice for Year 11 students:

Scroll to see replies

dont stress,try to take regular breaks, use the specs, do practice papers, start early and watch the 9s roll in

i got 5 9s and 5 8s if it makes any difference :smile:
Reply 21
Original post by Shadowcat3000
I received all 9s. I started revising in the Easter holidays and aimed for five hours a day, a target which I met (give or take) almost every day. Five hours a day may not sound like a lot, but so long as it's good, focussed revision, then it should do the trick. That means no music, no TV on in the background, etc. I also cannot overstate how important it is to revise for end-of-topic tests throughout the year. If you do a good enough job of revising for those tests, then you'll find it a damn sight easier to revise for your GCSEs, because you're simply re-learning all the things you already knew rather than learning things for the first time. Past papers are important, and can be especially helpful in the more Maths-y subjects, but you should always prioritise learning the syllabus over doing a past paper. Only when you're 100% sure on the content should you transition to past papers. It's also crucial to make a timetable with which to organise your five hours. I prefer to spend a whole day on just one or two subjects, as it helps me focus, but if you prefer to do five per day, or even more than that, then that's fine. Just do what works for you. Above all, make sure to stick to your timetable; discipline is key. Don't do too much work at once - go for a maximum of one hour without break. During breaks, which should be no longer than half an hour, do something relaxing like read a book. Don't run upstairs and play Fortnite; do something which keeps you calm and collected, so that you can easily re-focus when you go back to study. And if you're ever feeling like you should call it quits after four hours, remember the long game. You might hear lots of lovey-dovey refrains on this website and others like it about how GCSE results don't matter. But they do. It's a dog-eat-dog world out there and you've got to come out swinging, because if you don't, you'll be left by the wayside and forgotten forever. If you want to make a difference, then go for whatever you're going for 100%; don't cut yourself any slack. Good luck.

Congratulations on your result!!! :h: Also, Thank you for the advice! I'm definitely going to utilise it :smile: X
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 22
Original post by NashSingh
dont stress,try to take regular breaks, use the specs, do practice papers, start early and watch the 9s roll in

i got 5 9s and 5 8s if it makes any difference :smile:

Well done for your results!! :smile: What is "early" to you? :O
Reply 23
Original post by iBearHQ
100% - mocks are an opportunity to do exam papers in real test conditions. I made quite a few mistakes in my Geography mock and was very close to make them again in the real thing but remember not to so they're a good learning opportunity.

Okay, thanks - I'll definitely keep that in mind! :smile: x
Original post by Ztormie
Well done for your results!! :smile: What is "early" to you? :O

id say January in yr11 but it wouldnt hurt starting properly earlier
Original post by Ztormie
Congratulations on your result!!! :h: Also, Thank you for the advice! I'm definitely going to utilise it :smile: X

Thank you very much for your congratulations and I'm sure you'll absolutely demolish your GCSEs next summer!
7s:
Maths
English Lit
Science
History
Geography
6s:
French
Science
5:
English Lang
4:
Art

I didn't have that much of a revision routine, but I started revising during the Easter holidays. I had already made revision material throughout year 10 and year 11, such as posters and revision cards. I also had some revision cards for history and science which were made by edexcel which were useful.
My advice would be to make sure you have revision materials definitely before Easter, so that during the Easter holidays, you can work on nailing exam technique and ironing out any areas that you're a bit patchy on. I used a lot of youtube (PrimroseKitten, freesciencelessons) for science, as well as seneca which really helped me for both history, geography and science. My school provided everyone with revision guides as well as exam practice books for each subject. I was extremely lucky to go to a school where i was provided with a targeted book for both maths and history, which were both targeted at grade 9 (https://www.amazon.co.uk/Edexcel-Mathematics-Algebra-Workbook-Intervention/dp/0435183370). The history ones are available at grade 5 and 9, and maths is available at grade 3,5,7 and 9. They are also available for other subjects i think. Mine were edexcel. Geography, i made sure i knew all the case studies, and maths, i had an amazing teacher who provided us with loads of past papers and exam style questions. I'm not sure about English lit, because i have no idea how i got that 7, i only wrote a page for Jekyll and Hyde, I was just lucky with the questions. French, i made sure i knew all my prepared speaking answers, as well as a few impressive pieces of vocab for the writing exam. I also tried out listening to french radio and youtubers as well as reading things in french to practice.

Not sure if this is much help, but good luck.
I'm really happy with my results, and will be studying Maths, French and History at A level
Original post by Ztormie
Wow! Your results are great :h:!!!! Well done! I'm interested in choosing Biology, Chemistry, Physics and Maths for a levels, seeing on how well you did in them, could you tell me how you revised for science please? :smile:

Thanks so much! I'm planning on taking Biology, Chemistry, Maths for A level so if I messed them up I'd be in a pickle. For all the sciences, although extremely tedious, I really enjoyed reading the textbook.Pretty much all my Science revision time was spent reading the textbook with a notepad beside me, jotting down all the things I didn't know. This may seem as boring as watching paint dry to some, however if you try to have an genuine interest in what you're reading it makes it much easier to come to terms with it. Then it's just a process of learning all those things you've wrote down which I did by testing myself on them. I didn't actually do that many past papers for science, I mainly just focused on memorising the content, however if you don't know how to approach exam questions I advise you do past papers for practise. For Maths I cannot recommend getting a tutor enough! It had a monumental impact on my grade. It gave me the chance to ask questions 1 on 1 with my tutor which you can't always do in class, as well as helping me identify topics I struggled with which I can then go to my tutor and ask her to go through them with me. However, not everyone has the privilege of being able to have a tutor, so I'd definitely ask your teacher to put on support sessions after school which you can attend if you are unable to get a tutor. Maths is very mechanical, in the sense that you can almost guarantee what topics are going to show up every year, so if you learn how to do the concept it's just a case of learning how to apply it to exam questions. The best way to get better at this is just to do a countless amount of exam questions and past papers, that's literally all there is to it. Hope this helped! :smile:
Original post by Ztormie
Thank you and congratulations on your results!!! :h: They're great :biggrin:! How did you revise quotes and themes for English literature? xx Writing subjects (e.g Geography & English) are definitely not my strong point (YET) XD.

Hey! Thank you soo much! For quotes and themes i would either watch Mr Bruff's videos on them and then i would put the quotes on flash cards and have some sort of brief explanation to back up why that specific quote is important. The use of flash cards is super beneficial i still have some of my flashcards as well and even now i can remember some quotes from Macbeth because of them, but they can also be used in subjects that require terminology. So for geography you can use flash cards to remember definitions or ideas.
Reply 29
Original post by NashSingh
id say January in yr11 but it wouldnt hurt starting properly earlier

Thank you!!! :smile:
Reply 30
Original post by jemima0103
7s:
Maths
English Lit
Science
History
Geography
6s:
French
Science
5:
English Lang
4:
Art

I didn't have that much of a revision routine, but I started revising during the Easter holidays. I had already made revision material throughout year 10 and year 11, such as posters and revision cards. I also had some revision cards for history and science which were made by edexcel which were useful.
My advice would be to make sure you have revision materials definitely before Easter, so that during the Easter holidays, you can work on nailing exam technique and ironing out any areas that you're a bit patchy on. I used a lot of youtube (PrimroseKitten, freesciencelessons) for science, as well as seneca which really helped me for both history, geography and science. My school provided everyone with revision guides as well as exam practice books for each subject. I was extremely lucky to go to a school where i was provided with a targeted book for both maths and history, which were both targeted at grade 9 (https://www.amazon.co.uk/Edexcel-Mathematics-Algebra-Workbook-Intervention/dp/0435183370). The history ones are available at grade 5 and 9, and maths is available at grade 3,5,7 and 9. They are also available for other subjects i think. Mine were edexcel. Geography, i made sure i knew all the case studies, and maths, i had an amazing teacher who provided us with loads of past papers and exam style questions. I'm not sure about English lit, because i have no idea how i got that 7, i only wrote a page for Jekyll and Hyde, I was just lucky with the questions. French, i made sure i knew all my prepared speaking answers, as well as a few impressive pieces of vocab for the writing exam. I also tried out listening to french radio and youtubers as well as reading things in french to practice.

Not sure if this is much help, but good luck.
I'm really happy with my results, and will be studying Maths, French and History at A level

Your results are amazing!!!! :smile: Also, thank you so much for the advice :biggrin:!
Reply 31
Original post by Shadowcat3000
Thank you very much for your congratulations and I'm sure you'll absolutely demolish your GCSEs next summer!

Thank you! :smile:
Reply 32
T

Original post by furutablaze
Hey! Thank you soo much! For quotes and themes i would either watch Mr Bruff's videos on them and then i would put the quotes on flash cards and have some sort of brief explanation to back up why that specific quote is important. The use of flash cards is super beneficial i still have some of my flashcards as well and even now i can remember some quotes from Macbeth because of them, but they can also be used in subjects that require terminology. So for geography you can use flash cards to remember definitions or ideas.

Thank you!!!! :biggrin: x
Reply 33
Original post by Huckipity
Thanks so much! I'm planning on taking Biology, Chemistry, Maths for A level so if I messed them up I'd be in a pickle. For all the sciences, although extremely tedious, I really enjoyed reading the textbook.Pretty much all my Science revision time was spent reading the textbook with a notepad beside me, jotting down all the things I didn't know. This may seem as boring as watching paint dry to some, however if you try to have an genuine interest in what you're reading it makes it much easier to come to terms with it. Then it's just a process of learning all those things you've wrote down which I did by testing myself on them. I didn't actually do that many past papers for science, I mainly just focused on memorising the content, however if you don't know how to approach exam questions I advise you do past papers for practise. For Maths I cannot recommend getting a tutor enough! It had a monumental impact on my grade. It gave me the chance to ask questions 1 on 1 with my tutor which you can't always do in class, as well as helping me identify topics I struggled with which I can then go to my tutor and ask her to go through them with me. However, not everyone has the privilege of being able to have a tutor, so I'd definitely ask your teacher to put on support sessions after school which you can attend if you are unable to get a tutor. Maths is very mechanical, in the sense that you can almost guarantee what topics are going to show up every year, so if you learn how to do the concept it's just a case of learning how to apply it to exam questions. The best way to get better at this is just to do a countless amount of exam questions and past papers, that's literally all there is to it. Hope this helped! :smile:

Thank you!!! :h:
Reply 34
9999888888A*:

My main advice would be to 1) take mocks seriously and 2) make sure there are provisions in place so that you do the work when it’s most crucial i.e the two months leading up to your exams. I have a procrastination issue and didn’t do that so I ultimately underperformed, don’t make the same mistake!
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by Ztormie
What did you get in your GCSEs, how long did you revise for and how many hours did revise per day? Please.

I managed to get all Grade 8s and a 7-7 in science and TRUST ME it was hard to get.
YOU NEED TO STUDY NOWWWW!!!
Personally, I studied everyday for quite a bit of time each day - usually 4-6 hours. Here’s my tips for this year haha, hope they help.

1. KNOW YOUR WEAKNESSES
- it’s so important to highlight the areas which you struggle in: don’t waste time on things you already know
- ask your teachers for extra support if you can’t seem to understand something; I know it seems like they’re boring and useless butttttt they WILL help you in any way they can
- make a list for each subject, showing which topics are your weakest and study them, understand them, practise questions on them and then test yourself.

2. DONT GET DISTRACTED!!
- this is the most important advice i can give you
- focus on YOURSELF, don’t study in the library with your friends if you know you’re not going to work
- stick with someone who you can study with during lunch/break times because it’s best to use the time you have (it will run out quicker than you think)
- delete your social apps. yes I KNOW this is so difficult but i deleted my own Snapchat App in February and honestly, it helped massively. Your friends are great and you probably love them but this year needs to be about YOU and where you want to be in August. You have the whole summer to be with your friends so just stick to yourself for a few months.

3. DONT PROCRASTINATE
- in class, DONT ZONE OUT
- listen to EVERYTHING and make rough notes
- do all your homework that your teachers give you even if it seems pointless
- when you’re revising, KNOW what you need to do for that hour. that way you’re focussed on particular things at particular times.

In all honesty, this year WILL be boring and difficult and stressful and emotional BUT if you work hard, eliminate distractions and make NO excuses, I promise you’ll succeed. Make every effort and it will pay off. 😄✌🏽
(edited 4 years ago)
It's more so the quality of your revision rather than the quantity. One hour of effective revision is far better than multiple hours of ineffective revision.
you can relax till march trust me that's more than enough time. I buckled down night before my exams, crammed didn't sleep at all until the half term and got all 9's lmao. you got this
Reply 38
here's my list; BTEC business level 2 - D2 (A), art - 3, biology - 7, chemistry - 5, physics - 8, french - 9, English lit - 5, maths - 5, English lang - 6. I would advise for you to revise each subject as much as possible, but i'd revise a little more the subjects that you're pretty sure about taking for A levels. However, i'm not saying this is an excuse to cut down revision as many of my friends did this and got poor results. start to revise for you exams at around Christmas time, for around 30-60 mins each day, don't over-do it. that could be different for you if you feel like that's way too much or too little, but it's a good medium to start on. i thought of it this way, if you know you've revised the best you possibly can, then you will feel 100000000x more confident walking into each exam than you would now. good luck.
(edited 4 years ago)
This is how I studied science to get 9-9 (double science).

To do well in any science the most useful form of revision is solving past paper questions; it is crucial. From my own experience, for physics, only knowing the content is not enough. Therefore, with practice, you will gain a better understanding of what a question is asking of you, because personally, I found physics questions quite confusing. One of the best websites for practice is Physics and Maths Tutor (make sure that you are using the 9-1 GCSE physics questions). They also have questions for other subjects!

Also go watch videos from Free Science Lessons. He goes through the specification thoroughly, and makes sure you do not miss out any crucial information.

This brings me on to the next useful resource: the specification. Please make use of this. This is THE MOST IMPORTANT resource. The exam board will not test you on anything that is outside of this... in other words, the exam board (AQA) can test you on ANYTHING in the spec. Download the spec on your computer, or print it out, and highlight points green, amber or red according to your understanding of it.

During study leave and the day before the exam this is what I did:
- Go through my notes
- Read the specification to make sure I know everything.
- Watch free science lessons (on speed 1.5 :biggrin:)

This way, I went through the content of the subject thrice. If this is a bit excessive, at least go through your notes and the specification.

Start making notes from the start. If I read correctly, you are in year 11 right? If you do not have any notes on any of the sciences yet, please make them as soon as you can. What I did to make mine is go through the textbook and copy down the key facts. Make sure that you understand each and every concept. If not, please ask your teacher or look it up on the internet and get it clarified. Once I went through the textbook, I went through the specification and highlighted everything I understood and made sure that my notes have everything from the spec. Fun fact: the textbook may skip over one or two things in the spec. For biology 1, I did not use the spec, so this cost me marks on my Bio paper one (the ACTUAL GCSE). So please go through it. In addition, sometimes the spec simplifies things for you. For example, I could never grasp the menstrual cycle... but once I read through the specification for that topic, it all clicked. So another tip is to sit down and make things click for you. Thats it for how I made my notes.

Another useful method of revision is teaching others. When you understand something well, go ahead and help someone who doesn't. By teaching someone a topic, you will know whether you have grasped it well. If you are finding a topic difficult to explain, it is better that you go back and revise it.

Lastly, please do not ignore required practicals. On the day of my chemistry 2 exam, I realised that I hadn't revised the water experiment, and I remember my friend telling me that I will not need it cause it came up the year before. However, two minutes before going into the exam hall, we watched FreeScienceLessons' video on it and this legit saved us because the first 10 marks or so in the paper was from it. So please, please do not be me by leaving it for the end; revise your practicals thoroughly.

I do not know if it will be useful or not, but I am going to publish a website that has all my notes and tips on it in about a week. All my science notes will be on it. I will put the link on this discussion if you would find it useful. My grades were:

Science: 9-9
Maths: 9
Business: 9
French: 8
History: 8
English Lit: 7
Geography: 6
English Lang: 6

English is really not my subject :colonhash:.

Anyways, I hope you found that useful. Good luck for the future :h:

Quick Reply

Latest