The Student Room Group

CIE A Level books recommendations

Can you please recommend me books for Cambridge A level Physics, Chemistry and Maths?
The Cambridge website has endorsed books published by two publications; Hodder Education amd Cambridge.
So I wanted to know from those who have studied that which books have better explanations etc?
(edited 4 years ago)
I did CIE so I think I’m qualified enough for this.
From my own experience, Maths books were quite helpful. Check this out.
https://www.cambridgeinternational.org/programmes-and-qualifications/cambridge-international-as-and-a-level-mathematics-9709/published-resources/

Holder is the one I would suggest but Collin should not be underestimated as well.
The Cambridge books, I would not give any thumbs up. Most students in my college including my teachers, found the books not straightforward. For example in Physics, they would provide you less sophisticated explanations such as the magnetic forces between two conducting rods, which is not quite useful for answering questions in the exam. What lovely about these books is that I got £7.00 for each when I sold them on Ziffit, not the original price of course. So, I’d suggest Hodder. In addition, the medical physics is the worst written in Cambridge books, that you have to refer to the mark scheme to include the most crucial points. So again, Hodder. But if the specifications are changing , it’s always the best decision to discuss with your teacher.

My school’s library is quite good as it has textbooks for different exam boards that I can look through. If you’re happy with using textbooks from other exam boards, I’d recommend AQA. Very clear and precise imo. Whenever possible, the best preparation is by knowing the topics inside out and not what the textbooks is.
I hope this helps. Have fun doing CIE!
And for Chemistry as well, will you recommend the book by Peter Cann?
Original post by Ligretto Cowboy
https://www.cambridgeinternational.org/programmes-and-qualifications/cambridge-international-as-and-a-level-mathematics-9709/published-resources/

Holder is the one I would suggest but Collin should not be underestimated as well.
The Cambridge books, I would not give any thumbs up. Most students in my college including my teachers, found the books not straightforward. For example in Physics, they would provide you less sophisticated explanations such as the magnetic forces between two conducting rods, which is not quite useful for answering questions in the exam. What lovely about these books is that I got £7.00 for each when I sold them on Ziffit, not the original price of course. So, I’d suggest Hodder. In addition, the medical physics is the worst written in Cambridge books, that you have to refer to the mark scheme to include the most crucial points. So again, Hodder. But if the specifications are changing , it’s always the best decision to discuss with your teacher.

My school’s library is quite good as it has textbooks for different exam boards that I can look through. If you’re happy with using textbooks from other exam boards, I’d recommend AQA. Very clear and precise imo. Whenever possible, the best preparation is by knowing the topics inside out and not what the textbooks is.
Original post by Knightrises10
And for Chemistry as well, will you recommend the book by Peter Cann?

I think Peter Cann is better than Lawrie Ryan and Roger Norris one. So yes.
Original post by Ligretto Cowboy

Hello! I actually needed some help regarding syllabus content. About ch2 of physics, measurmemeas.
In the hodder book, this chapter has a lot of detail. For example, details of calipers, micrometers, and all other Mass, Time, Temperature measurement techniques. So, I wanted to ask, should I learn all these for theory, or just leave it for practicals only?
Original post by Knightrises10
Hello! I actually needed some help regarding syllabus content. About ch2 of physics, measurmemeas.
In the hodder book, this chapter has a lot of detail. For example, details of calipers, micrometers, and all other Mass, Time, Temperature measurement techniques. So, I wanted to ask, should I learn all these for theory, or just leave it for practicals only?

You will learn them (how to use the apparatuses) in your practical lessons I guess (which you should). What you have to focus is the data analysis bit (plotting graphs, best fit, etc). But I suggest you to read through the chapter so that you’ll know what to expect in the exam. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending