The Student Room Group

a-level subjects: compatibility?

i’m going in to alevels very soon and i’m wondering how well these go together? thankfully my current subjects i picked are all from different blocks (i am really scared about doing 4 alevels so this will change) so i’m able to do them

what ive currently locked in: biology, english combined, sociology and history

and i wish to drop history (even tho i absolutely love it) and take psychology instead of sociology

so what id like advice on is these subjects i’m aiming to take: biology, english combined, psychology

truthfully, i do enjoy history however id like to do the other three more. so on the first day before everyone else comes into school (where we discuss timetables and our final choices) i’ll probably ask to drop history and focus on psychology (is this possible? i heard we get timetables and i don’t want to inconvenience since i start lessons apparently the day after...) ive decided i wanted to pursue a psychology-related career anyway

i’m obviously worried about workload... i know english and history are both heavily essay based (which i have no problem with, in 5 of my gcses that were primarily essay/extended writing, i achieved a 9) but as the myth goes, the jump from gcses to alevels is hard

im looking for advice and if anyone takes these subjects (mostly AQA exam board), it’d be great to hear your experiences and even if you’re doing 4 alevels! i have my mind deadset on psychology after my teacher recommended me it from my career choice, and i don’t know if i’ll be able to handle 4...

anyways, thank you in advance! i kinda waffled a bit lol
your subject choices are fine :smile:
4 subjects is a lot of work, but some people can handle it- if you're still really unsure, take 4 and drop to 3 if you realise a subject is not for you or the workload is too much etc.
i do aqa psychology and i have really enjoyed it so far:yep: year 1 content i haven't found too bad when it comes to understanding apart from the magnitude of it i needed to learn :eek:
what are you hoping to do in the future?
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by entertainmyfaith
your subject choices are fine :smile:
4 subjects is a lot of work, but some people can handle it- if you're still really unsure, take 4 and drop to 3 if you realise a subject is not for you or the workload is too much etc.
i do aqa psychology and i have really enjoyed it so far:yep: year 1 content i haven't found too bad when it comes to understanding apart from the magnitude of it i needed to learn :eek:
what are you hoping to do in the future?

yep, i’ve heard some ~scary~ things about psychology lol! and thank you for the input 🤔 i hope to work with children/teach or pursue something in psychology whether it’s clinical or not
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by Wonyo
yep, i’ve heard some ~scary~ things about psychology lol! and thank you for the input 🤔 i hope to work with children/teach or pursue something in psychology whether it’s clinical or not

no worries :smile:
psychology isn't that awful!! some of the other subjects you picked are likely to be harder :wink:
ooh okay, interesting career choice:yep: better to pick a level subjects you enjoy as generally courses such as psychology won't ask for specific subjects- but i can imagine psychology and biology would be good subjects, if you're really struggling to make a choice.
Reply 4
Original post by entertainmyfaith
no worries :smile:
psychology isn't that awful!! some of the other subjects you picked are likely to be harder :wink:
ooh okay, interesting career choice:yep: better to pick a level subjects you enjoy as generally courses such as psychology won't ask for specific subjects- but i can imagine psychology and biology would be good subjects, if you're really struggling to make a choice.

my hardest decision really was whether or not to do history lol, but alas... i think i’m relatively happy with my choices so i just need to tell my school my changes on the first day :3 i enjoy english quite a lot and i’m quite interested in psychology!

let’s hope for a good alevels year lol
Reply 5
Original post by Wonyo
my hardest decision really was whether or not to do history lol, but alas... i think i’m relatively happy with my choices so i just need to tell my school my changes on the first day :3 i enjoy english quite a lot and i’m quite interested in psychology!

History is a facilitating subject Psychology is not.You can always pick up psychology at degree level.
Original post by Wonyo

good luck:hugs:

Quick Reply

Latest