The Student Room Group

Bury FC on verge of expulsion from EFL! Thoughts

I can't believe a club of Bury's size are on the verge of being eradicated from the EFL. What are your thoughts on this? Will the be playing non league next year? Will they be on FIFA? Its crazy!!!
Deal has just been agreed apparently. Hopefully we'll hear some good news shortly.
Reply 2
Poor Bury... can't Donald Trump buy them?
Original post by sr90
Deal has just been agreed apparently. Hopefully we'll hear some good news shortly.

Hopefully!
Original post by Vinny C
Poor Bury... can't Donald Trump buy them?

Don't think he has enough money i'm afraid :colondollar:
Reply 5
Original post by ReusCrispies
Don't think he has enough money i'm afraid :colondollar:

He can afford Greenland!
Original post by Vinny C
He can afford Greenland!

Greenland can't be compared to the mighty Bury! Even still, it looks like he won't be able to get hold of that too.
They got an extension until Tuesday I think
News coming in from Bolton now and it's not good.

How can businesspeople be so cruel as to almost wilfully ruin institutions as monumental as English football clubs?
The Neville brothers and the others who bought Salford should have bought Bury years ago instead.

Too late though. There should be earlier intervention by the EFL at the point that wages are late.

The law on selling businesses for a notional amount should be changed. Not just sports clubs but in general- think of Philip Green with BHS.
Probably a controversial view but why should other people care? If any business is badly run, they go bankrupt and have to close up. Same applies to football clubs since they are run like businesses these days.

No doubt it is a shame for those fans who have followed the club for a long time and those families who may have watched for generations but a business can't run on nostalgia.

Similarly where a historic club may die out, there is then space for other clubs to create a story for themselves and become established.
Original post by Zerforax
Probably a controversial view but why should other people care? If any business is badly run, they go bankrupt and have to close up. Same applies to football clubs since they are run like businesses these days.

No doubt it is a shame for those fans who have followed the club for a long time and those families who may have watched for generations but a business can't run on nostalgia.

Similarly where a historic club may die out, there is then space for other clubs to create a story for themselves and become established.

Aside from any football or community based argument, if someone runs a business badly or even corruptly, do you want them to be managing another business? Secondly, often those owed money are those least able to afford the loss, such as local businesses. Or lower paid players- it's not those on £1m a year who have not been paid. Thirdly, where games are called off at short notice, the police and other public bodies who have committed time and money lose out.
Original post by barnetlad
Aside from any football or community based argument, if someone runs a business badly or even corruptly, do you want them to be managing another business? Secondly, often those owed money are those least able to afford the loss, such as local businesses. Or lower paid players- it's not those on £1m a year who have not been paid. Thirdly, where games are called off at short notice, the police and other public bodies who have committed time and money lose out.

Running a business badly and being fradulent/negligent are very different things. End of the day, who ever bought the club is entitled to run it how they want. Unless the FA changes the fit and proper test..

Unsecured creditors always fall at the bottom and are often hurt the worst but what is the alternative? Perhaps there should be a small levy on all the clubs to create a crisis fund to pay staff/players in these situations but I can't see other greedy clubs agreeing to it.
Takeover has fallen through, one hour till the deadline, sadly I think this is RIP Bury https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/49486208
Reply 14
Bury have been expelled by the English Football League after a takeover bid from C&N Sporting Risk collapsed.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/49451896
So sad for the fans, I remember when it happened to Maidstone, just beyond hurt when something like this happens
I’m not even into football and find this an atrocity. It might not be the best team but these businesses that aren’t investing are basically helping a huge part of history die.
Greedy corrupt owners are ruining traditional clubs
I blame it on Brexit... you did vote for it.

Quick Reply

Latest