The Student Room Group

advice - my school is bad and i want grade 8/9s

hello!
i’m going into year 10 soon, and i’m scared. i understand a lot of people tell me to enjoy the year while it lasts before year 11, but i really really want grade 8/9s for all my gcses.

i’m extremely worried for english as we haven’t started proper gcse stuff yet and i’m going into year 10. we’ve only picked our books to study - my teacher is so lazy she only puts films on!

i currently go to an average secondary school - the ofsted report is terrible, however they did say top set students are making normal progress, which is all i’m worried about because i’m top set (not much of an achievement as there aren’t many serious students in my school). i usually stress about school as it’s such a terrible school and my gcse grades. i go to tuition & have a tutor and i’m still not very smart, compared to kids who don’t put as much effort as me (like the kids go to my tuition, they’re all in grammar schools and super duper smart, however don’t put in as many hours as i do)

i started serious revision from the beginning of year 9 (as that’s when we started our gcse courses) and made notes and frequently reviewed what i’ve learnt. i also try to teach myself, to get a head start in class. i revise everyday after school for 2-4 hours depends on the day. for summer, i have a revision timetable for tasks to be doing everyday.

my gcse subjects are:
triple science
eng lit & lang
maths
spanish
computer science
re

any advice on what to do for year 10? possibly anything to make me smarter? anything to stop me from stressing out? can anyone relate with the terrible school situation? please help :frown:

Scroll to see replies

Buy as many revision books as you can great help
Reply 2
Original post by Coconutloverxx
Buy as many revision books as you can great help

thanks for your help :smile:
i have revision books for all my subjects and i use them a lot to revise. is there anything specific you advise me to do with them? i’ve heard of the open book, closed book method as one of them
Original post by lean1bean
thanks for your help :smile:
i have revision books for all my subjects and i use them a lot to revise. is there anything specific you advise me to do with them? i’ve heard of the open book, closed book method as one of them

I would definitely stick with the open closed book and I'm sorry about your situation. I also go to secondary school but with a better rating.
Reply 4
I would definitely stick with the open closed book and I'm sorry about your situation. I also go to secondary school but with a better rating.

ah lucky! my school isnt too horrible, they really really concentrate on the more able pupils and give them the best teachers possible, so most of my subjects are pretty strong - i just feel like i should learn a lot more, and i’m always panicking abt my gcses.

the reason the ofsted was so bad is because 70% of my school is misbehaving children, and now that the headteacher has been notified so much is changing, which is good i suppose, i just hope i’m making the most out of my time, and get those 8/9s to make my parents proud :smile:
ah lucky! my school isnt too horrible, they really really concentrate on the more able pupils and give them the best teachers possible, so most of my subjects are pretty strong - i just feel like i should learn a lot more, and i’m always panicking abt my gcses.

the reason the ofsted was so bad is because 70% of my school is misbehaving children, and now that the headteacher has been notified so much is changing, which is good i suppose, i just hope i’m making the most out of my time, and get those 8/9s to make my parents proud :smile:

I know what you mean students everywhere are like kids I'm stupid.. but I do my best and behave quite well.

Don't worry it seems like you're doing everything you need to be doing
Reply 6
Original post by Scotney
Any chance of changing school?

don’t think so, i think it’s too late to change as year 10 is the year they’ve started gcse courses and probably won’t have any space for my preferred subjects. i’ve considered it for a long time but i just need to work with what i have i guess
Reply 7
Hey, just got my GCSE results the other day and I was a bit like you but pulled off 999988887. Im sorry for the 7, you wanted only 8/9s :tongue:

Anyway, I also had terrible teachers. I didn’t know what ‘structure’ was until half way through year 10, and I hadn’t begun learning Paper 2 for Media until the end of Year 11 (Terrible terrible teachers). Math wasn’t so bad though, I had some good support but was stuck in Set 4, and I really really wanted a grade 7 by the end of year 10 just for the self esteem boost.

Now my school was ****, still is **** actually. But the key to success in this situation is either leaving for a much better school or learning to study and incorporate your studies into your daily life at home. For example, I made a full on book, learning everything from perimeter up to conditional algebraic probability and L3 Algebra.

Take advantage of your English teachers by utilising your free time to write essays and get them to mark it. Get examples, tutor examples, YouTube videos, sibling support. LITERALLY ANYTHING. Try a lot of practice papers. Give yourself the advantage other students don’t have.

You know how I said earlier that I didn’t start learning Media until the second half of Yr 11? I managed a frickin grade 9 through finding online resources, watching YouTube channels, and just constantly reminding myself basic facts.

Here’s a little list of the key YouTube channels I used to get my grades:

- FreeScienceLessons (achieve 9’s)
- Mr Bruff, Mr Salles [look at examplars] (achieved 2 grade 8s)
- Mrs Parmenter Media Revision (achieved a 9)
- Heggarty Maths (achieved an 8)

You’ll do just fine.
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by zackforest
Hey, just got my GCSE results the other day and I was a bit like you but pulled off 999988887. Im sorry for the 7, you wanted only 8/9s :tongue:

Anyway, I also had terrible teachers. I didn’t know what ‘structure’ was until half way through year 10, and I hadn’t begun learning Paper 2 for Media until the end of Year 11 (Terrible terrible teachers). Math wasn’t so bad though, I had some good support but was stuck in Set 4, and I really really wanted a grade 7 by the end of year 10 just for the self esteem boost.

Now my school was ****, still is **** actually. But the key to success in this situation is either leaving for a much better school or learning to study and incorporate your studies into your daily life at home. For example, I made a full on book, learning everything from perimeter up to conditional algebraic probability and L3 Algebra.

Take advantage of your English teachers by utilising your free time to write essays. Get examples, tutor examples, YouTube videos, sibling support. LITERALLY ANYTHING. Try a lot of practice papers. Give yourself the advantage other students don’t have.

You know how I said earlier that I didn’t start learning Media until the second half of Yr 11? I managed a frickin grade 9 through finding online resources, watching YouTube channels, and just constantly reminding myself basic facts.

You’ll do just fine.

Hey any tips for media studies? I am terrible at media. 😂
I’m so sorry about ur situation, my school was rated outstanding and I thought I had it bad :frown:

I’d recommend doing a lot of independent study. E.g. read the books you are doing for English multiple times + make sure you understand them, make sure you understand everything as you go along (especially maths), keep up to date with all your homework, start making revision notes asap + make sure you know the revision technique that works for you. Also make sure there are no distractions! If your friends aren’t as keen to do well, don’t let them stop you from working hard and achieving ur goals.

As for the stress part, make sure you give yourself breaks and know that grades aren’t everything! Although they do help you with your future, you can be happy and successful without them! I wish you the best of luck, you can do this!! Just knuckle down and you will get the results you want, no doubt :smile:
Reply 10
Hey any tips for media studies? I am terrible at media. 😂

I watched a ton of videos from Mrs Parmenters YouTube channel:
Click me
Also, learn a few A level media theories to just Wow the examiner and it’s basically an English essay, but constantly bombard the examiner with ideas about representation, meaning, theories , terminology etc.
Click me
Also, learn a few A level media theories to just Wow the examiner and it’s basically an English essay, but constantly bombard the examiner with ideas about representation, meaning, theories , terminology etc.

I highest I ever got was a 6 one time 😓 not the brightest tool in the shed thanks I might actually try that but I get confused on how to word denigration
Click me

I highest I ever got was a 6 one time 😓 not the brightest tool in the shed thanks I might actually try that but I get confused on how to word denotation
Reply 13
I highest I ever got was a 6 one time 😓 not the brightest tool in the shed thanks I might actually try that but I get confused on how to word denotation

I didn’t use that word at all even though I was meant to 😂 - I also got a 6 in my mocks back in January.
Basically if you have a picture of a girl in a bikini you’d say summa like:

Through displaying a scantily clad woman, the company is conforming to Mulveys theory of Male Gaze, by using the female as an object to attract a hetrosexual male viewer.

I’d say just learn to develop simple points and if you can, always talk about the audience, representation and any key concepts
I didn’t use that word at all even though I was meant to 😂 - I also got a 6 in my mocks back in January.
Basically if you have a picture of a girl in a bikini you’d say summa like:

Through displaying a scantily clad woman, the company is conforming to Mulveys theory of Male Gaze, by using the female as an object to attract a hetrosexual male viewer.

I’d say just learn to develop simple points and if you can, always talk about the audience, representation and any key concepts

Thanks for the information 😂
hello!
i’m going into year 10 soon, and i’m scared. i understand a lot of people tell me to enjoy the year while it lasts before year 11, but i really really want grade 8/9s for all my gcses.

i’m extremely worried for english as we haven’t started proper gcse stuff yet and i’m going into year 10. we’ve only picked our books to study - my teacher is so lazy she only puts films on!

i currently go to an average secondary school - the ofsted report is terrible, however they did say top set students are making normal progress, which is all i’m worried about because i’m top set (not much of an achievement as there aren’t many serious students in my school). i usually stress about school as it’s such a terrible school and my gcse grades. i go to tuition & have a tutor and i’m still not very smart, compared to kids who don’t put as much effort as me (like the kids go to my tuition, they’re all in grammar schools and super duper smart, however don’t put in as many hours as i do)

i started serious revision from the beginning of year 9 (as that’s when we started our gcse courses) and made notes and frequently reviewed what i’ve learnt. i also try to teach myself, to get a head start in class. i revise everyday after school for 2-4 hours depends on the day. for summer, i have a revision timetable for tasks to be doing everyday.

my gcse subjects are:
triple science
eng lit & lang
maths
spanish
computer science
re

any advice on what to do for year 10? possibly anything to make me smarter? anything to stop me from stressing out? can anyone relate with the terrible school situation? please help :frown:

I just finished My gcses and I got 999999765 my advice is just revise a lot on your own, gcses are easy you don’t need to worry to much about it trust me!
Reply 16

Take advantage of your English teachers by utilising your free time to write essays and get them to mark it. Get examples, tutor examples, YouTube videos, sibling support. LITERALLY ANYTHING. Try a lot of practice papers. Give yourself the advantage other students don’t have.

Here’s a little list of the key YouTube channels I used to get my grades:

- FreeScienceLessons (achieve 9’s)
- Mr Bruff, Mr Salles [look at examplars] (achieved 2 grade 8s)
- Mrs Parmenter Media Revision (achieved a 9)
- Heggarty Maths (achieved an 8)

You’ll do just fine.

omg! congrats on your results you’ve done amazing you should be so proud! also a 7 is still brilliant :smile: thank you so much for your advice, it really motivated me to carry on with my revision - i’m actually using those youtube channels currently so :smile:
Reply 17
Original post by Skyylerjones
I’m so sorry about ur situation, my school was rated outstanding and I thought I had it bad :frown:

I’d recommend doing a lot of independent study. E.g. read the books you are doing for English multiple times + make sure you understand them, make sure you understand everything as you go along (especially maths), keep up to date with all your homework, start making revision notes asap + make sure you know the revision technique that works for you. Also make sure there are no distractions! If your friends aren’t as keen to do well, don’t let them stop you from working hard and achieving ur goals.

As for the stress part, make sure you give yourself breaks and know that grades aren’t everything! Although they do help you with your future, you can be happy and successful without them! I wish you the best of luck, you can do this!! Just knuckle down and you will get the results you want, no doubt :smile:

thank you so much :smile:
also my school was rated inadequate (not special measures though) - i thought we’d at least get a needs improvement. it was so bad our headteacher changed to this temporary one. apparently she’s a headteacher of an outstanding school and she’ll help us. so much is changing for the new year :smile: it’ll all be good soon hopefully.
Reply 18
omg! congrats on your results you’ve done amazing you should be so proud! also a 7 is still brilliant :smile: thank you so much for your advice, it really motivated me to carry on with my revision - i’m actually using those youtube channels currently so :smile:

No worries, and good luck! 😀
hello!

my gcse subjects are:
triple science
eng lit & lang
maths
spanish
computer science
re

That’s great you should go for it! Your situation sounds just like mine, I did my GCSE’s 2 years ago and decided in year 10 I wanted straight A*s and 9s, despite lack of teachers (and ambition 🤣) at my school I worked really hard at home using online resources and made it happen! Getting those results is something you’ll always have and has been so useful to me when applying for work experience and uni etc

For English you’ve got to use Mr Salles teaches English, he’s brilliant only reason I got 9s in English haha (mr Bruffs also v good) for science I used free science lessons on YouTube (bit annoying voice but v concise) for maths i had subscription to maths watch and my maths also Corbett maths is good. Flashcards are efficient to use on school commute nearer your exams

I used to do 2-4 hrs too using a timetable it worked really well but on reflection I ended up a bit burned out after GCSEs. Having done a levels now I felt like i could have spent much less time and got same grades for non core subjects especially. As for relaxing I always liked to keep Friday evening completely free, go running but really wish I went out with my friends more often. It’s great that your starting early just do little bits at a time and keep it ticking over it makes the exams so much less stressful! good luck x
(edited 4 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest