The Student Room Group

Ps4 or Xbox

Which one is better and for what reasons?
What? You havent been banned yet??
Buy whichever one your friends have so you can play online together.

If your friends don't own either, buy whichever one has the version exclusives you prefer.
It's like asking Android or Windows, or Apple

Android is better as a system and Windows but Apple is more popular
I prefer PS4. By this point it's a loyalty thing for me (PS gamer since the 90s) but the original reason was because I simply don't like the feel/style of Xbox controllers! I find them uncomfortable to hold.
Reply 5
I prefer the feel of the PS4 controller and the interface, whilst it doesn't look as cool from a graphical design perspective as the Xbox One, is more intuitive.

Sony tend to follow a formula each generation but their games are quite complex so it's not exactly a lazy formula. It's just that Sony are OBSESSED with 'MEANINGFUL STORY'. It probably comes from their heritage being a cinema studio company too.
So, outright fun stuff like Cuphead and Sunset Overdrive tends to get passed over by Sony which is a shame, particularly when Microsoft (or their players) don't support Sunset Overdrive enough. But Sony then throw a The Last Guardian at you and, for long time gamers, it's hard to resist. Sony really do make you feel that gaming is not just evolving in graphics but in story.
PS4 has sold DOUBLE the number of XBox Ones, that's been a consistent trend for the entire generation.
Going back to PS2 vs XBox Original it's a no-contest, PS2 is the best selling console of all time including beating the Wii and SNES worldwide sales COMBINED.

The only generation where it's close was the PS3 vs XBox 360.
PS3 sold more overall, PS3 sold more per month in every region EXCEPT the USA who like to buy 'domestic'.
But there's three major fudges in the stats,
1) XBox 360 had a 30% hardware failure rate in the first 12 months of ownership, ten times that of the PS3.
2) Microsoft quotes sales as "Sold to stores" where Sony quotes "Sold to consumers" so returns and unsold stock count in Microsoft stats but not Sony
3) The original XBox 360 was garbage, a lot of people bought a new one to upgrade. Some bought three or four if they suffered hardware failures as well.

If we're generous and call that generation a tie (When really the Wii won that generation anyway) that's Two-Nil to Playstation.
Reply 7
Original post by DraconisAudiat
PS4 has sold DOUBLE the number of XBox Ones, that's been a consistent trend for the entire generation.
Going back to PS2 vs XBox Original it's a no-contest, PS2 is the best selling console of all time including beating the Wii and SNES worldwide sales COMBINED.

The only generation where it's close was the PS3 vs XBox 360.
PS3 sold more overall, PS3 sold more per month in every region EXCEPT the USA who like to buy 'domestic'.
But there's three major fudges in the stats,
1) XBox 360 had a 30% hardware failure rate in the first 12 months of ownership, ten times that of the PS3.
2) Microsoft quotes sales as "Sold to stores" where Sony quotes "Sold to consumers" so returns and unsold stock count in Microsoft stats but not Sony
3) The original XBox 360 was garbage, a lot of people bought a new one to upgrade. Some bought three or four if they suffered hardware failures as well.

If we're generous and call that generation a tie (When really the Wii won that generation anyway) that's Two-Nil to Playstation.

Yes, sales is "better" from the perspective of shareholders, employees, employees of games companies, and those who want to use a stick with which to further beat down the competition. Plus it can help finding players with whom to play against online (although, if attach rate is high, that doesn't necessarily matter. Mario Kart players on WiiU probably had little difficulty finding players,. for instance).

But better for players? Relatively lacklustre sales doesn't diminish the joy people have from playing their Dreamcast or WiiU.
I have a Wii U and I love it.

Quick Reply

Latest