The Student Room Group

Amazon Rainforest on Fire

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Leviathan1611
meh, the earth is doomed either way. whether the Amazon burns down completely or nuclear war.

Meh? Really? Shockingly it's actually quite a good idea not to trash the only planet we have to live on.If you want a more direct benefit it's worth noting that the amazon has more biodiversity than almost any other place on earth.Many drugs are derived from animals and plants.There could easily be some animal or plant that cures cancer or other diseases in there.
Original post by James23121
Meh? Really? Shockingly it's actually quite a good idea not to trash the only planet we have to live on.If you want a more direct benefit it's worth noting that the amazon has more biodiversity than almost any other place on earth.Many drugs are derived from animals and plants.There could easily be some animal or plant that cures cancer or other diseases in there.

yes, really.

since when was a natural disaster on trees humans trashing the planet?

I couldn't care less. even if they did get a cure for cancer, the government would probably keep it secret since they make more money from treating cancer rather than actually curing it🤣😭
yes, really.

since when was a natural disaster on trees humans trashing the planet?

I couldn't care less. even if they did get a cure for cancer, the government would probably keep it secret since they make more money from treating cancer rather than actually curing it🤣😭

Do they or are you just pushing conspiracy theories with no evidence? If they treat it rather than cure it then those people will likely die.Which means less money because those people won't work= less taxes= less GDP.

And yes it is trashing the planet.Burning one of the world's largest rainforests down means you remove a vital carbon sink and release a lot of carbon into the atmosphere at the same time.This causes global warming which leads to droughts,flooding,sea level rise,hurricanes and the mass extinction of many forms of life.Honestly educate yourself.Humans don't exist in a vacuum .We're completely reliant on other forms of life for survival.We couldn't even survive without bees for instance.

You're wasting your time she's Christian and believes in Judgement day. So of course she doesn't care.
Do they or are you just pushing conspiracy theories with no evidence? If they treat it rather than cure it then those people will likely die.Which means less money because those people won't work= less taxes= less GDP.

And yes it is trashing the planet.Burning one of the world's largest rainforests down means you remove a vital carbon sink and release a lot of carbon into the atmosphere at the same time.This causes global warming which leads to droughts,flooding,sea level rise,hurricanes and the mass extinction of many forms of life.Honestly educate yourself.Humans don't exist in a vacuum .We're completely reliant on other forms of life for survival.We couldn't even survive without bees for instance.

yep.

did a human deliberately start a fire in the Amazon??? if not, then how are we trashing the planet. how is a natural forest fire a person's fault?😂 you're blaming people for a natural event.

I already know that, I just don't care as much as the average person.
yep.

did a human deliberately start a fire in the Amazon??? if not, then how are we trashing the planet. how is a natural forest fire a person's fault?😂 you're blaming people for a natural event.

Yes they did.Brazil has relaxed protections for the amazon which means that farmers and loggers are more able to use fires to clear away areas of forest.
yep.

They are saying that we directly are to blame when it’s indirectly our fault
Yes they did.Brazil has relaxed protections for the amazon which means that farmers and loggers are more able to use fires to clear away areas of forest.

do you have evidence that it was a person who deliberately started a fire, or are you suspecting?
Original post by Halabaluza
You're wasting your time she's Christian and believes in Judgement day. So of course she doesn't care.

Well I doubt being so callous about the destruction of the home of a million humans is going to score her any points on judgement day.She forgets people live there too.

On another note this is precisely why religion is such a negative force.It teaches people to value what they have now less, in favour of something which might happen in the future.
do you have evidence that it was a person who deliberately started a fire, or are you suspecting?

It's well known that agriculturalists and loggers use fires to clear away sections of the forest.Combine this with Bolsonaros publically stated view of the environment and climate change and it's quite clear what's happened.
(edited 4 years ago)
It's well known that agriculturalists and loggers use fires to clear away sections of the forest.Combine this with Bolsonaros biblically stated view of the environment and climate change and it's quite clear what's happened.

so you don't have actual evidence. okay👍

The most I can find it was caused by deforestation for growing food and cattle ranching etc.
Well I doubt being so callous about the destruction of the home of a million humans is going to score her any points on judgement day.She forgets people live there too.

On another note this is precisely why religion is such a negative force.It teaches people to value what they have now less, in favour of something which might happen in the future.

Not just humans. The Amazon is home to countless of animal species. Which should also be taken into consideration. They need a home. And religion is a disease. It does more harm than good. An adult who believes in fairy tales is dangerous.
White cop dies and media responds the same way Princess Diana's death was responded to.

Amazon rainforest burning for 3 weeks I have to read about in the comments section of a Reddit post.
Original post by Andrew97
The most I can find it was caused by deforestation for growing food and cattle ranching etc.

ah okay

deforestation by burning down the trees? or were they cutting them down?
I just saw a post on ig that it has rained in some parts of the rainforest, hopefully it’s true
ah okay

deforestation by burning down the trees? or were they cutting them down?

A bit of both. Cattle ranchers are burning it down illegally to give their herds more room to graze, Brazil is one of the larger exporters of cattle. There is also some cutting down as well.
Original post by JustOneMoreThing
White cop dies and media responds the same way Princess Diana's death was responded to.

Amazon rainforest burning for 3 weeks I have to read about in the comments section of a Reddit post.

I don’t think it’s fair to compare. A policeman dying in the U.K is obviously going to get more coverage than the amazon in Brazil.
Original post by Andrew97
A bit of both. Cattle ranchers are burning it down illegally to give their herds more room to graze, Brazil is one of the larger exporters of cattle. There is also some cutting down as well.

burning down trees for space has got to be one of the most dumbest and laziest things to do.
burning down trees for space has got to be one of the most dumbest and laziest things to do.

Brazil is still largely a poor country (with some blocs of better off people in the big cities) and the 'ranchers' are often fairly poor farmers without land. They roam large herds through recently cleared forests, killing the soil productivity rapidly and then moving on by burning more forest. They really need their own more fertile land, government help and so on, but as elsewhere, the premium existing farmland is owned by corporate and rich people interests that have no intention of sharing. Bolsanaro is serving their interests whilst pretending it's something to do with nationalism. This is a long running aspect of Latin America generally - deep inequality in land, marginalised people struggling to make a living, right wing governments serving the interests of the wealthy class.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending