The Student Room Group

A level choices helpp

IVe decided to do bio and chem -87 double science GCSE- and I’m struggling on what to do for my 3rd subject I have always liked English but I got a 6 which I was shocked st as I was hoping to get a 7 if not higher . Is it still worth doing English lit ??? Because say if I don’t wnana do medicine I could do teaching ? Or I also really like the sound of economics but I feel like it will be harder to get a degree even if it’s a BA in economics as many unis require maths a level ,I haven’t slept all night today idk what to do I hate this
Reply 1
First of all, did you enjoy studying Lit? Also remember that A level subjects are much more intense than GCSE. Also what grade did you get in maths? Having an A level in maths will really help with almost any degree if you're considering uni or when you want to get a job. I'm studying maths & physics in September and similar to you I am considering economics as a third subject. However (my only) 9 was in design & technology so I'm also considering this as my 3rd just because I enjoyed it so much at GCSE and I know a lot of people that really enjoyed it at A level. So maybe it's best to research as much as possible into the subject - does your sixth form/college tell you in detail what you will be studying in year 1 & 2? As mine does and this has helped me since I know exactly what I'll be studying in both years of the subjects.
This probably hasn't helped much but maybe just think it through some more and choose one that you enjoy - after all you will be studying it for 2 years. Lastly, at my sixth form we have one week into the term to decide if we want to stick with our subjects - it isn't a long time to decide if you enjoy the subject but it should help you to get a feel for what it will be like.
Original post by chemsley
First of all, did you enjoy studying Lit? Also remember that A level subjects are much more intense than GCSE. Also what grade did you get in maths? Having an A level in maths will really help with almost any degree if you're considering uni or when you want to get a job. I'm studying maths & physics in September and similar to you I am considering economics as a third subject. However (my only) 9 was in design & technology so I'm also considering this as my 3rd just because I enjoyed it so much at GCSE and I know a lot of people that really enjoyed it at A level. So maybe it's best to research as much as possible into the subject - does your sixth form/college tell you in detail what you will be studying in year 1 & 2? As mine does and this has helped me since I know exactly what I'll be studying in both years of the subjects.
This probably hasn't helped much but maybe just think it through some more and choose one that you enjoy - after all you will be studying it for 2 years. Lastly, at my sixth form we have one week into the term to decide if we want to stick with our subjects - it isn't a long time to decide if you enjoy the subject but it should help you to get a feel for what it will be like.

Yh I enjoyed English lit and I got a 6 in maths I appreciate the message thank u have a nice day
Reply 3
it's best to talk to a careers adviser at school. i'd say if you're not one of those people that have always known they want to do a certain subject (like medicine) then choose a 3rd subject that will open as many doors as possible. i spent most of this year aiming for dentistry, so I took Bio and Chem, but then thanks to maths i'm able to now apply for computer science. If you're toying with the idea of economics, go onto the ucas website, type it in and check the subject requirements at any universities you're interested in. you'll want at least 2 universities that won't require maths (keep in mind you'll need to apply for 5 courses next year, so if you can't find that many economic courses that don't need maths, consider if you'll be able to find a similar course to apply for as well.). Find out how many doors english will open for you. What other grades did you achieve at gcse?
Reply 4
Also - you don't have to take a subject at a level just because you did well in it at gcse. It's fine to be good at something but enjoy something else you have to work harder for more. Obviously don't take a subject you're completely rubbish at lol, but taking a subject JUST because it was your best grade won't mean much cos an a level in that subject will be completely different.
This is random, but i am confused too. Idk whether i should take statistics or mechanics??? for maths
Reply 6
Original post by rforlife3451
This is random, but i am confused too. Idk whether i should take statistics or mechanics??? for maths

I swear you have to take both lol. pure, stats and mechanics. for edexcel anyway.
Original post by Txu99
I swear you have to take both lol. pure, stats and mechanics. for edexcel anyway.

I mean in our school we have to do 2 papers. One for pure maths and the second can be statistics or mechanics. What did you choose? and which one is like generally easier.
Reply 8
I mean in our school we have to do 2 papers. One for pure maths and the second can be statistics or mechanics. What did you choose? and which one is like generally easier.

I don't think you choose? the first paper is pure, and the second paper is stats AND mechanics. I wish i had a choice lol, mechanics is hell!
Reply 9
(Original post by Txu99)
I don't think you choose? the first paper is pure, and the second paper is stats AND mechanics. I wish i had a choice lol, mechanics is he

Unless you're talking about further maths, which I don't take so I'm not sure about that.
Original post by Txu99
I don't think you choose? the first paper is pure, and the second paper is stats AND mechanics. I wish i had a choice lol, mechanics is hell!

hyyyyy.jpg Idk, cause this is what is says
Reply 11
hyyyyy.jpg Idk, cause this is what is says

that's as level which no one takes anymore. if you check for a level maths on the edexcel website you should find it.
Original post by Txu99
that's as level which no one takes anymore. if you check for a level maths on the edexcel website you should find it.

okay thank you so much!

Quick Reply

Latest