The Student Room Group

In clearing and need higher maintenance ??

Hi, so when I initially applied for student finances back in May I didn't ask for higher maintenance and recieved £3,314 (I would commute from home- living with parents).

However, I did not get into my firm and self released into clearing and got a place at another university but I will be moving out and living by myself. When changing my university and course online, I specified this and recieved £4,168 maintenance loans (August) on top of my tuition loans.

When using the online calculator I get an estimated £7,749 for maintenance loans. Is there any way to apply for higher maintenance loans as I will be needing more when I live alone? I could not find any way to apply as the website says the maximum I can receive is £4,168.

**edit: problem solved 😅
(edited 4 years ago)
I believe you need to update your application with a change in circumstances noting that you will be living away from home. Probably best if you call SFE directly to get it sorted before you start at uni, although hopefully one of the SFE reps on here will be able to respond soon (however they are quite busy this time of year so it can take longer than usual for them to reply to threads in this forum).
Reply 2
Thank you for the reply☺️
I've actually been looking on the sfe website to try update my situation, but I can't find where to do it. It only allows me to change my personal details, university/ course, and loans (which doesn't let me request more than 4k).
I've explained the situation to the accomodation staff and everything seems ok for now. I will probably ring sfe tomorrow.
Original post by Shabakka
Hi, so when I initially applied for student finances back in May I didn't ask for higher maintenance and recieved £3,314 (I would commute from home- living with parents).

However, I did not get into my firm and self released into clearing and got a place at another university but I will be moving out and living by myself. When changing my university and course online, I specified this and recieved £4,168 maintenance loans (August) on top of my tuition loans.

When using the online calculator I get an estimated £7,749 for maintenance loans. Is there any way to apply for higher maintenance loans as I will be needing more when I live alone? I could not find any way to apply as the website says the maximum I can receive is £4,168.

Hi there,

If you want to receive the higher amount of Maintenance Loan you can apply for this via your online account. If you log onto your online account here and if you select your current application and then make changes, then loan amounts. You will then be able to amend the amount. If you are not able to make the changes on your online account then you will be directed to complete the Maintenance Loan Request form.

Has your main application been income assessed? Did your sponsors provide their financial details to support your application?

Thanks, Amy
Reply 4
Thank you for replying☺️
I realised what I was doing wrong haha. I was dead sure the first option was the one I needed I hadn't even tried the second one😂
I will fill out the forms asap, thank you !!
Original post by Shabakka
Thank you for replying☺️
I realised what I was doing wrong haha. I was dead sure the first option was the one I needed I hadn't even tried the second one😂
I will fill out the forms asap, thank you !!

You're welcome :smile:

Thanks, Amy

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending