The Student Room Group

Gcse german

hey guys, year 11 is starting and I am currently grade 5 in German. I want to get a grade 9 in my GCSES. How can I? I am going to do 16 hours a week after school in year 11. How can I achieve the grade 9?
how are you doing in your other gcses?
just leaving my mark here in case u get a reply - i need advice too
I did Spanish but u can revise in the same way for German ... use Memrise or Duolingo, have a vocabulary book with u with vocabulary (search for high level ones or write down from Memrise) u can use all the time
Or alternatively u can get a sheet of paper and divide it into 8 sections QACNOTTI Q for qualifiers like too much, A for adjectives, C for connectives, N for negatives like I hate, O for opinions like I love, T for tenseslike (I will do...), the other T for Time phrases like tomorrow and the I for idioms coz those will get u a higher mark....
After u learn each topic make a mind map and use wat I told u above
On a sheet of paper u can write down like phrases that’ll get u a really high mark which U can get off the internet
Learn tenses and how to conjugate coz that’ll really help
Read the revision guide watnot
Original post by NashSingh
how are you doing in your other gcses?

predicted 9s in all other gcses
Original post by Sannah 21
I did Spanish but u can revise in the same way for German ... use Memrise or Duolingo, have a vocabulary book with u with vocabulary (search for high level ones or write down from Memrise) u can use all the time
Or alternatively u can get a sheet of paper and divide it into 8 sections QACNOTTI Q for qualifiers like too much, A for adjectives, C for connectives, N for negatives like I hate, O for opinions like I love, T for tenseslike (I will do...), the other T for Time phrases like tomorrow and the I for idioms coz those will get u a higher mark....
After u learn each topic make a mind map and use wat I told u above
On a sheet of paper u can write down like phrases that’ll get u a really high mark which U can get off the internet
Learn tenses and how to conjugate coz that’ll really help
Read the revision guide watnot

but there is so much vocab in so less time
Original post by richmanswagoh
but there is so much vocab in so less time

There is time!
Start now
5 pieces of vocab a day? 10?
On the website and app Memrise there is a vocabulary list - type in AQA GCSE German and a list of every single word that could possibly come up is written. This list is literally written by the exam board so once you know each word, they can’t catch you out on anything. Make sure to be listening to the words as they are said on the screen so you become familiar with their sounds (helps for listening and speaking tasks). This works for any other GCSE language and any exam board (just type in whatever exam board you are doing)
Reply 8
Original post by richmanswagoh
hey guys, year 11 is starting and I am currently grade 5 in German. I want to get a grade 9 in my GCSES. How can I? I am going to do 16 hours a week after school in year 11. How can I achieve the grade 9?

Hi,
I was in the same boat as you at the beginning of year 11 (i.e. grade8/9 in all subjects bar German). In fact, my German was so poor in year 10 that my year 10 mock score was a grade 1 lol. Thus, like you are considering, I focused heavily on German. This meant that I went through vocab regularly on Quizlet (if you do AQA then there is the full vocab list on there). Honestly, this helped so much as I was becoming more articulate while speaking and I found reading exams a lot easier. To tell you the truth, if you learn all of the vocab, you should be getting near full marks on the reading and a good mark in the listening. For the oral and writing exams, I learnt set phrases (i.e. Ehrlich gesagst - to tell you the truth or Ohne zweifel - undoubtedly). Obviously, this made my writing exam marks a lot better and when going into the oral exam I got in as many as possible. Apart from this, it goes without saying to do homework to the best of your ability. I also recommend listening to German radio running up the exams as it made me more comfortable listening to German and hence the German spoken in the listening exam seemed less rapid and oppressive. Although grammar is important to a degree, honestly you really just need to perfect the perfect, present, and future for your exams. Throwing in a subjunctive or pluperfect in your oral/writing exams does add a little something though, so I suggest learning a few phrases with complicated tenses and/or complicated grammatical structures. All of this meant that I jumped from a very low grade to finally achieving a grade 8 in my GCSEs recently. I hope this helps.
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by qb2507
Hi,
I was in the same boat as you at the beginning of year 11 (i.e. grade8/9 in all subjects bar German). In fact, my German was so poor in year 10 that my year 10 mock score was a grade 1 lol. Thus, like you are considering, I focused heavily on German. This meant that I went through vocab regularly on Quizlet (if you do AQA then there is the full vocab list on there). Honestly, this helped so much as I was becoming more articulate while speaking and I found reading exams a lot easier. To tell you the truth, if you learn all of the vocab, you should be getting near full marks on the reading and a good mark in the listening. For the oral and writing exams, I learnt set phrases (i.e. Ehrlich gesagst - to tell you the truth or Ohne zweifel - undoubtedly). Obviously, this made my writing exam marks a lot better and when going into the oral exam I got in as many as possible. Apart from this, it goes without saying to do homework to the best of your ability. I also recommend listening to German radio running up the exams as it made me more comfortable listening to German and hence the German spoken in the listening exam seemed less rapid and oppressive. Although grammar is important to a degree, honestly you really just need to perfect the perfect, present, and future for your exams. Throwing in a subjunctive or pluperfect in your oral/writing exams does add a little something though, so I suggest learning a few phrases with complicated tenses and/or complicated grammatical structures. All of this meant that I jumped from a very low grade to finally achieving a grade 8 in my GCSEs recently. I hope this helps.

omg that is amazing, congrats!
Original post by qb2507
Hi,

this!!!!!

Quick Reply

Latest