The Student Room Group

Help! i dont know what a level to do: biology vs chem a level

ok, so im not sure weather should do biology or chemistry a level.

at GCSE, I enjoyed biology a bit more than chemistry, that's because it makes alot More sense ( and I found it easier). in fact I found chemistry gcse VERY boring.

however, alot of people say that chem a level is more interesting than gcse, and I know a few people who disliked gcse chem and liked a level chem.

Now, the reason why I don't really want to do biology is because:

1. it's VERY content heavy- I'm very bad with rote fact learning (i hate mindlessly memorising)

2. it's more of a wordy subject, whereas I'm more mathematical

3. it's difficult for me to make notes.

However I want to do a level bio because:

1.alot more interesting than chem

2. I love making mind maps and connecting different ideas

3. you can "see" biology (if that makes sense)

4. it's a break from my other subjects (physics and maths)

5. I liked it at GCSE but I didn't LOVE it

I don't want to a level chem because:

1. I know I said I was mathematical, but I HATED quantitative chemistry at GCSE, it was too abstract (Like mole calculations).

2.I think it's too complex for me (I can't get my head around moles or Le chateliers principle from gcse)

3. if I do choose chem, I'll be going at a worse school than if I did bio (if that matters)

4. I ABSOLUTELY HATED CHEM AT GCSE .

5. I love to make mind maps and it's harder to do that for chem

6. I usually love solving problems, but for gcse chemistry, I just didn't care

I want to do a chem because:

1. alot of ppl say it's way more interesting than gcse

2. people say that it's a logical subject (and I'm more logical than wordy)

3. it suits better for my other subject (physics and maths)

4. I love solving problems - and I love gcse maths

For reference, I'm doing maths
and physics a level

I know this was long to read, so thanks if you read till the end, any help would be appreciated.

ps. I HAVE TO CHOOSE ONE OF THESE SUBJECTS

i need guidence from people whove done the a levels as im completely torn

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Azimbrook1

at GCSE, I enjoyed biology a bit more than chemistry, that's because it makes alot More sense ( and I found it easier). in fact I found chemistry gcse VERY boring.

however, alot of people say that chem a level is more interesting than gcse, and I know a few people who disliked gcse chem and liked a level chem.

1. it's VERY content heavy- I'm very bad with rote fact learning (i hate mindlessly memorising)

1. I know I said I was mathematical, but I HATED quantitative chemistry at GCSE, it was too abstract (Like mole calculations).

2.I think it's too complex for me (I can't get my head around moles or Le chateliers principle from gcse)

3. if I do choose chem, I'll be going at a worse school than if I did bio (if that matters)

and physics a level

I know this was long to read, so thanks if you read till the end, any help would be appreciated.

not reading all of that ****, but as someone who did biology and ended up graduating in it, do Chemistry.
biology A level is 10 times more interesting than chemistry ever will be and you've got more cons than pros. it all depends on the degree you want to pursue really. take both and become a surgeon.
Reply 3
Original post by retajalshafeii
biology A level is 10 times more interesting than chemistry ever will be and you've got more cons than pros. it all depends on the degree you want to pursue really. take both and become a surgeon.

No, I love physics and maths
Reply 4
No, I love physics and maths

but don't you face content overload, and don't you think it's Just memorisation
Reply 5

btw, do you do both a levels and do you think you're biased?
Basically anything you think about the subjects at GCSE will be made way more obvious at a level where you’ll study everything in so much more detail, so if you hated chem at gcse like you said you did then I don’t see why you’d do it as it’ll be so much harder and concepts will be more abstract but in the end it’s up to you. Good luck choosing
what university degree do you want to pursue? base you a levels off of that.
Reply 8
what university degree do you want to pursue? base you a levels off of that.

not sure, something physicsy related, and I don't have the grades for FM a level
If u ABSOLUTELY HATED Chem in GCSE then don’t pick it for a levels and don’t care if it matches ur other subjects or wat other ppl say
Yes there is way more maths in chem but there is a minority in bio so maths can be in use also in physics a lot
But u can relax from maths in bio coz ur two other subjects are very mathsy

Yes there is ALOT to cover and ALOT to revise but u just gotta do it
ALOT to memorise but u can do it!!
Original post by Sannah 21
If u ABSOLUTELY HATED Chem in GCSE then don’t pick it for a levels and don’t care if it matches ur other subjects or wat other ppl say
Yes there is way more maths in chem but there is a minority in bio so maths can be in use also in physics a lot
But u can relax from maths in bio coz ur two other subjects are very mathsy

Yes there is ALOT to cover and ALOT to revise but u just gotta do it
ALOT to memorise but u can do it!!

Key to this is go to the better school! So biology!
Original post by bluemuffin
Basically anything you think about the subjects at GCSE will be made way more obvious at a level where you’ll study everything in so much more detail, so if you hated chem at gcse like you said you did then I don’t see why you’d do it as it’ll be so much harder and concepts will be more abstract but in the end it’s up to you. Good luck choosing

I'm considering it as people say it's more interesting at GCSE, also. ppl also say it's more logical.
(edited 4 years ago)
not sure, something physicsy related, and I don't have the grades for FM a level

well if its something physics related why take another science? Choose an easier subject like sociology or english lit (mind maps for days and is super interesting and very heavy because you've got lots of poems). try business or economics A levels, economics has some maths and is soooo interesting + mind maps for days.
well if its something physics related why take another science? Choose an easier subject like sociology or english lit (mind maps for days and is super interesting and very heavy because you've got lots of poems). try business or economics A levels, economics has some maths and is soooo interesting + mind maps for days.

not sociology/English as I hate essay subjects
and I did economics at GCSE and didn't like it

and physics a level

so basically do the chem because it opens the same doors as bio and has its own pros anyway - honestly at some point(S) during a level youre going to the the subject you do because youre stressed about **** like exams so just do something that will be worth it in the end for you
to me, it doesn't seem like you want to take any of them...

you could do further maths if you wanted
Original post by cirrostratus
to me, it doesn't seem like you want to take any of them...

you could do further maths if you wanted

No I can't, I didn't get the maths grade, ( due to mitigating circumstances)
Original post by smolhana
so basically do the chem because it opens the same doors as bio and has its own pros anyway - honestly at some point(S) during a level youre going to the the subject you do because youre stressed about **** like exams so just do something that will be worth it in the end for you

I know, but which would be more "fun"
No I can't, I didn't get the maths grade, ( due to mitigating circumstances)

To get good grades at A level your school IS very important
General consensus at my sixth form was that biology was easier than chemistry. If you're also more interested in it at face value then this should really be a no brainer.

Quick Reply

Latest