The Student Room Group

is it reasonable to drop to 25-27mph in a 30 for the sake of a speed camera?

As a new driver I'm very cautious of speed cameras and limits, I usually drive under the limit by 2-3mph just to be safe as its not hard to unintentionally drive 2mph over even if its just for a minute. There's a big speed camera on a road I drive down when going to see my mate and as soon as it comes up I drop to 25mph to be extra safe in regards to not setting it off. Is this reasonable or OTT?
Reply 1
Original post by J0n3zviper
As a new driver I'm very cautious of speed cameras and limits, I usually drive under the limit by 2-3mph just to be safe as its not hard to unintentionally drive 2mph over even if its just for a minute. There's a big speed camera on a road I drive down when going to see my mate and as soon as it comes up I drop to 25mph to be extra safe in regards to not setting it off. Is this reasonable or OTT?

No, it's not reasonable; that's how congestion starts.

As you've already been told before, you're already doing under the speed limit when your speedometer displays the speed limit; there is no need to drop further.
Reply 2
Original post by IWMTom
No, it's not reasonable; that's how congestion starts.

As you've already been told before, you're already doing under the speed limit when your speedometer displays the speed limit; there is no need to drop further.

By this logic it would mean doing 32mph wouldn't set the camera off, correct? I was reading a forum online where people have claimed 31-32mph has set the camera off.
it's better to be safe than sorry

:yep:
Reply 4
By this logic it would mean doing 32mph wouldn't set the camera off, correct? I was reading a forum online where people have claimed 31-32mph has set the camera off.

Correct.

Fixed cameras have tolerances too. No one has gone past a 30mph camera and it flashed at 32mph.

Mobile cameras are a different story.
Reply 5
Original post by IWMTom
Correct.

Fixed cameras have tolerances too. No one has gone past a 30mph camera and it flashed at 32mph.

Mobile cameras are a different story.

Ah OK interesting, so lets say you go past a mobile speed camera 32, do you think you would get done?
OTT. as said, yr speedo overestimates. so you're going through it at 22-24. Can see a queue starting to form behind you pretty quick.
Reply 7
Ah OK interesting, so lets say you go past a mobile speed camera 32, do you think you would get done?

Indicated 32? No. Actual 32? Possibly, but unlikely.
I know real speed tolerance around my area is 10% + 2mph (The police force around here adhere to the NPCC guidelines).

I usually drive 2mph above the limit on my speedo everywhere, including past cameras, which means my real speed would probably be bang on the speed limit.
Reply 9
Original post by RoyalSheepy
I know real speed tolerance around my area is 10% + 2mph (The police force around here adhere to the NPCC guidelines).

I usually drive 2mph above the limit on my speedo everywhere, including past cameras, which means my real speed would probably be bang on the speed limit.

How can you find out if the police around your area adhere to the NPCC guidelines?

No, if you drive at 30 you will be completely fine.

This is because your speedometer isn't fully accurate on the car's actual speed and often overestimates the speed (meaning you are driving slightly slower than what is displayed).

Second of all, speed cameras will have some tolerance/uncertainty embedded in them so that even if you were driving say 32mph, it still wouldn't flash.
Reply 11
How can you find out if the police around your area adhere to the NPCC guidelines?

Google it. There's always an article or two that shows which forces adhere to what.
Really unnecessary. If you have to slow for a speed camera you're not driving at a safe speed are you? Your Speedo overestimates so if you're doing 30 according to your car then you're actually doing 27 anyway. Go through a few of those speed check signs which tell you your speed and see how slow you're going.
i did when i first started driving however after a while i just stick to 30/31 in front of cameras. Just dont drive 25 mph all the time please

Quick Reply

Latest