The Student Room Group

Applying to UCL

Hey,
So I am a hard working student, I try my best, of course I am not the smartest, my predicted grades are all Bs, but I want to apply to UCL for there education studies programme? Do I have a chance? Looking at there page I am from a disadvantaged background which allows them to accept me with two lower grades than the requirements which is ABB so I need to get BBC to reach the minimum requirements. I want to know if I have a chance? Can anyone help with this?
Reply 1
Almost certainly you'll have a chance, although when you're choosing a degree you have to bear in mind what it's gonna bring to the table. Does it have QTS (ie: are you going to be able to teach)?. Does it have good job prospects(is pay good)? Why is it so damn generic (degrees with 'studies' in the title is usually a dead giveaway for a worthless degree)? What does the degree title mean (education studies, hmm, doesn't say anything to me)?

So to me it's not really a matter of whether UCL want you, but whether you should even consider UCL for offering a degree like this.
Okay thanks a lot, that is true however I’m planning to go to ucl with a degree of my choice and then get a PCGE which UCL offer but I will take a deeper look at education studies
Reply 3
Original post by NadirahRahman
Okay thanks a lot, that is true however I’m planning to go to ucl with a degree of my choice and then get a PCGE which UCL offer but I will take a deeper look at education studies

If you're getting a PGCE then what does it matter the degree? If you're going down the PGCE route then you might be wise to consider a degree in your best subject, then doing the relevant teacher training degree afterwards.

If you're wanting to do primary I'd go down the path of just doing a straight primary with QTS 3-year degree. If you're looking to do secondary I'd do the subject you're thinking of teaching, then a PGCE following that. Education studies will limit your future options if teaching doesn't work out, doing a subject degree like English, History or Biology will not limit your future options as those disciplines are more open (ie: more career paths). Doing a non-subject specific degree also means that depending on your A-Level grades you may have to do a subject knowledge enhancement course to be able to do the PGCE.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending