The Student Room Group

Medicine Query

Hi, I am in quite a predicament
I have an option to undergo foundation year at BradfordUni with the opportunity to study medicine at Leeds- 5 year programme. So i will graduate in 2025.
However currently, I am studying medicine in Pakistan in my1st year expected to graduate on Jan 2024.
I am currently 21 years old and a UK citizen. Should I complete my education in Pakistan or take the opportunity to return to the UK on the foundation year. Would there be an actual tangible benefit of graduating 1.5 years later in my career.
Reply 1
Original post by maverick98123
I have an option to undergo foundation year at BradfordUni with the opportunity to study medicine at Leeds- 5 year programme. So i will graduate in 2025.
However currently, I am studying medicine in Pakistan in my1st year expected to graduate on Jan 2024.
I am currently 21 years old and a UK citizen. Should I complete my education in Pakistan or take the opportunity to return to the UK on the foundation year. Would there be an actual tangible benefit of graduating 1.5 years later in my career.

Where are you most likely to want to work after graduation?
Have you checked if you are eligible for UK student finance still?

I think you would need to check that Leeds would be okay with the fact that you've already started a medical degree elsewhere.

Do bear in mind that the Bradford clinical sciences course does not offer guaranteed entry to the Leeds MB ChB. On my GEP course there were two students who did not manage to transfer to Leeds and remained at Bradford for three years. Make sure you would be okay with potentially staying on and completing the full clinical sciences BSc.

Why are you thinking about leaving your current medical school?
Reply 3

Leeds' admissions policy states:
In the absence of significant personal mitigating circumstances we are unable to consider applications from current medical students or from applicants who have previously attended another medical school. Such students would only be considered if they can demonstrate:
Evidence of exceptional extenuating circumstances
Excellent academic record at current institution
Support for transfer from current institution
If all three of these areas are met the admissions team would ensure compatibility with the courses and availability of places on the MBChB. Any initial approach regarding this should be directly from the student’s current institution. Depending on the degree of mis-match between curricula, applicants transferring to Leeds may be required to enter the Leeds curriculum at an earlier point than they had achieved at their original institution.
There is no way of Leeds finding out. I only enrolled like 6 months previous if that.
Reply 5
There is no way of Leeds finding out. I only enrolled like 6 months previous if that.

OK, lie on your UCAS form when it asks you to state all previous academic courses attempted, that is a good way to start your medical career. And if they ever found out, you are likely to be asked to leave the course as you have deliberately ignored one of the conditions of entry
Original post by GANFYD
OK, lie on your UCAS form when it asks you to state all previous academic courses attempted, that is a good way to start your medical career. And if they ever found out, you are likely to be asked to leave the course as you have deliberately ignored one of the conditions of entry

as far as I am aware it only refers to courses within the country because thats when student finance and other factors come into play, If you have proof of otherwise i will be utmostly glad to see it.
Reply 7
as far as I am aware it only refers to courses within the country because thats when student finance and other factors come into play, If you have proof of otherwise i will be utmostly glad to see it.

If you studied at a uni or college but didn't finish the course, you still need to enter these details. Include the start and finish date, and state that you didn't receive any qualifications there.

Taken from the UCAS application guidelines.
It is nothing to do with student finance as you apply for this separately.
(edited 4 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending