The Student Room Group

Economics at Cambridge

I'd like to know my chances of studying economics at Cambridge with 7,7,8,8,8,8,9,9,9,9,A* as my GCSE results, assuming I get A*A*A*A* for my A levels which I can as I didn't put too much effort into my GCSE subjects and everything went okay. I figure if I actually put a decent amount of effort in I could get those grades for A level. My dream university is Cambridge so I'm hoping people that know something about applying and acceptance there could help me out. Thank you in advance.
Reply 1
Those GCSEs won't be a concern. You just need to now make sure you actually get the necessary predicted grades. It may be more work than you're expecting.
Reply 2
Original post by Sinnoh
Those GCSEs won't be a concern. You just need to now make sure you actually get the necessary predicted grades. It may be more work than you're expecting.

Thanks don't worry I know that it will be a lot of hard work. I have this new found sense of desire, because I didn't realise that I was good enough for Cambridge, but now after results day I know that I am and I want it more than anything, so I'm willing to put in maximum effort all the time to get there.
what a levels are you doing? :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by Umaurma
what a levels are you doing? :smile:

Maths, Further Maths, Physics, and Economics
A Levels are A LOT harder than GCSES’s so try not to expect 4 A*s already until you’ve gone through first year
Reply 6
I really don't want to sound like one of those people that just comes on here to brag, because I hate those people, I'm just being honest. The last three years up until a month or two before my exams I did nothing, I talked a lot in lessons, I didn't listen, I didn't do my homework, I didn't revise for tests, in my mocks in January/February I got 555,66,7,7,7,7,8 then I started trying and obviously improved a lot in a very short period of time, so imagine if I actually tried all the time for the next two years, keeping in mind I basically learned the entire GCSE course to a good level for ten subjects in the space of like two months. I'd certainly be a lot more likely than the bangouts that tried consistently for the last three years to get those predicted grades.
Reply 7
Original post by OR321
A Levels are A LOT harder than GCSES’s so try not to expect 4 A*s already until you’ve gone through first year

Read reply below sorry my phone had a weird moment
Reply 8
Original post by lxcameron
Read reply below sorry my phone had a weird moment

You mean above god you're so dumb how do you expect to get 4 A*s
Maths, Further Maths, Physics, and Economics

omg- I'm doing the exact same as you :biggrin: (I'm starting y13 in sep though)
Reply 10
Original post by Umaurma
omg- I'm doing the exact same as you :biggrin: (I'm starting y13 in sep though)

Cool is there any advice that you can give to me?
Cool is there any advice that you can give to me?

tbh I'd just stay try and stay on top of things (like make notes as you are taught topics and not afterwards) and ask teachers questions when you have problems (unsolved problems on one topic will lead to disaster on a related topic). For maths & physics practice questions as much as possible. I found physics the hardest personally. Good luck!
Reply 12
Original post by Umaurma
tbh I'd just stay try and stay on top of things (like make notes as you are taught topics and not afterwards) and ask teachers questions when you have problems (unsolved problems on one topic will lead to disaster on a related topic). For maths & physics practice questions as much as possible. I found physics the hardest personally. Good luck!

Thanks again for the advice, I'll make sure to try and keep on top of things, I may lose my way a bit at certain points in the year with extracurricular activities and I'll do the past papers and practice questions as that's what I did for my GCSE exams for maths and physics and I got a 9 in each of them.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending